Marantz Amp

• I recently acquired through some mates a high quality Marantz Amp and some Monitor DX-2 speakers. This was less than £200.

I used to have a gemini X-02 amp which I repaired from smoker damage that was much louder. I ended up selling it to a pub / club near buy

Any other audiophile things i should get?

• @lucas1 said in Marantz Amp:

I recently acquired through some mates a high quality Marantz Amp and some Monitor DX-2 speakers. This was less than £200.

I used to have a gemini X-02 amp which I repaired from smoker damage that was much louder. I ended up selling it to a pub / club near buy

One of my colleagues is an audiophile, and what I've learnt from him is that there is no end to the amount of money you can spend on a tiny epsilon of improvement of audio quality. For example, stick with Marantz but upgrade to their M-CR611 receiver plus their PM-10 amp, get yourself a pair of Dali speakers (or a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3) (you may also want separate amps per speaker), and then see if you still have money to throw at the problem.

Or, which is much cheaper for you, become friend with an audiophile, because he is going to want a second hand market for his yesteryear's equipment when he upgrades to the next step. This way you will get really good stuff that he bought for a discount (which he passes on to you), carefully broken in a couple of hundred hours. That's how I got 5000 euro worth of equipment for less than 3000. Mind you, this is a couple of years back. My colleague is now spending closer to 20 000 euros per speaker.

• 🚽 Regular

@lucas1 said in Marantz Amp:

I recently acquired through some mates a high quality Marantz Amp and some Monitor DX-2 speakers. This was less than £200.

One cheap thing that will actually make (a very, very tiny) difference to that setup is some thick speaker cable, I use 10mm2 (American 8 gauge) aircraft ground-power cable as I had a drum of it.

Think someone used coat-hangers too to prove the point 😆

• BINNED

Gold platen ethernet cable

• Fake News

@cursorkeys said in Marantz Amp:

One cheap thing that will actually make (a very, very tiny) difference to that setup is some thick speaker cable, I use 10mm2 (American 8 gauge) aircraft ground-power cable as I had a drum of it.

Why would it need to be 10mm² though? Over here that's not that cheap due to all the copper in it. Also, won't it become too hard to connect it to your amplifier?

• 🚽 Regular

@jbert said in Marantz Amp:

@cursorkeys said in Marantz Amp:

Why would it need to be 10mm² though? Over here that's not that cheap due to all the copper in it. Also, won't it become too hard to connect it to your amplifier?

It doesn't, reasonably thick is fine. 10mm2 PVC cable is only 3 quid a meter currently though. I just had a lot of it on hand so I used it. I used ring-crimps as my kit supports them, not sure what the biggest you'd be able to stuff into a banana-plug is.

It's more that the more copper you can get is better rather than the brand, and DC power cable is relatively cheap as cables go. Some of the expensive moonlight-infused speaker cable sold is really thin and that would make a difference to a powerful setup. If you had a 10W shelf speaker you could probably use hair-thin bell wire with no measurable loss, bell-wire would still be cheaper than Monster stuff though :)

• area_can

Buy a blindfold to improve audio quality

• Personally I find putting the CD player above the amp and the amp above the speakers helps, so the electricity can run downhill. The difference is very subtle, but it seems to improve the imaging and adds a touch more bass.

• FoxDev

@helix Be sure not to put too many things on top of the CD player, otherwise so much will flow downhill, the speakers will flood and burst, ruining your carpet.

• 🚽 Regular

@helix said in Marantz Amp:

Personally I find putting the CD player above the amp and the amp above the speakers helps, so the electricity can run downhill. The difference is very subtle, but it seems to improve the imaging and adds a touch more bass.

Charge carriers have mass so gravity will actually affect them. The difference between that and the electromagnetic forces is so mind-bogglingly large I think you'd have a hard time measuring it at all though.

• Considered Harmful

@luhmann said in Marantz Amp:

Gold platend ethernet cable

The onebox does not mention the price, which happens to be $1,094.75

• @cursorkeys said in Marantz Amp:

hard time measuring it at all

Not with my audiophile ears!