In Defense of Electron

• @arantor I had a hand me down BBC Micro B with a 5.25 inch disk drive as well as a cassette drive in the early 90s.

My grandad gave me one of these

had 3inch floppy disks that came in a clear plastic case. (They are 3inch floppies not 3.5 inch)

• @lucas1 I grew up on a 48K Spectrum before moving to the +3 after Amstrad bought the Spectrum up, and then onto an Amiga in 1991.

They don't build 'em like that any more.

• @arantor They don't. My amigas btw are resurrected.

A1200 and A600 are both running OS 3.1 with 720p graphics.

Me being an idiot put both of them back together when I got a CF / PCMCIA adaptor card. Amiga OS 3.1 needs a driver for that as well.

So I am going to need to get the screwdrivers out again on the A1200 get the CF card I installed, transfer the files over so I can transfer file as well as Cross DOS, after installing cross dos and then making sure the 10 pack of floppies can be read by the A1200 .........

And BREATH.

• Impossible Mission - B

@lucas1 said in In Defense of Electron:

(They are 3inch floppies not 3.5 inch)

:giggity: ???

• @masonwheeler

It is interesting I was inadvertantly using CP/M when I was a kid

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=86

I remember programming in XBAS Basic when I was a kid and plating XBAS games.

I think I managed to format my grandad's version of BBC basic getting confused to what disk was in what floppy drive and never telling him as he never used it anymore so it didn't really matter as much.

• @lucas1 said in In Defense of Electron:

@arantor I had a hand me down BBC Micro B with a 5.25 inch disk drive as well as a cassette drive in the early 90s.

My grandad gave me one of these

had 3inch floppy disks that came in a clear plastic case. (They are 3inch floppies not 3.5 inch)

I bought its grandson today

0_1503442954820_292996cf-49e6-45ab-bc32-c08b414df2df-image.png

• @coldandtired It will better than the PI, the PI just teaches you how to use *nix, not other stuff.

• @coldandtired Can you run Elite on it?

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@boomzilla said in In Defense of Electron:

JFC...or maybe don't be in silly valley

What's a more typical expectation for pay?

• ♿ (Parody)

@dreikin said in In Defense of Electron:

In the area that I'm in (DC, so not a low cost area, but not SF / NYC, either), $150K is very unlikely for even a very senior developer who doesn't have some sort of management (possibly project management) / supervisory role. Around here I'd probably expect $70K - $90K for a mid level developer. Low $100Ks for senior.

This is just a WAG, but the SF area is nuts with respect to cost of living so salaries seem mega inflated until you try to live on them locally. In smaller metro areas, I'd expect mid level to be more like $50K - $60K (more WAGs) and senior to top out around $100K.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@dreikin said in In Defense of Electron:

In the area that I'm in (DC, so not a low cost area, but not SF / NYC, either), $150K is very unlikely for even a very senior developer who doesn't have some sort of management (possibly project management) / supervisory role. Around here I'd probably expect $70K - $90K for a mid level developer. Low $100Ks for senior.

This is just a WAG, but the SF area is nuts with respect to cost of living so salaries seem mega inflated until you try to live on them locally. In smaller metro areas, I'd expect mid level to be more like $50K - $60K (more WAGs) and senior to top out around $100K.

Thanks. I'm more likely to end up moving in your direction (northern VA; family in the area) than SF anyway, so that's pretty helpful.

• @boomzilla said in In Defense of Electron:

Sounds about right. If you work behind a clearance, play the switch-jobs-every-year-or-two-to-bump-salaries game, and consider salary to be the most important consideration with respect to your employment situation, you might end up around $130-140k as a senior developer. But then you need to be careful as your employer might decide you're too expensive and renew your contract with someone else at a much lower rate. This has happened to a couple of my friends.

Yeah, $150k doesn't go quite so far with $3500-4k rent in some parts of the Bay Area.

• @dreikin said in In Defense of Electron:

Thanks. I'm more likely to end up moving in your direction (northern VA; family in the area) than SF anyway, so that's pretty helpful.

Try to find an employer who will let you work remotely and/or commute outside of peak hours (7-10am, 3-7pm). I-66 and the Beltway are a special kind of hell.

• Considered Harmful

@groaner said in In Defense of Electron:

Sounds about right. If you work behind a clearance, play the switch-jobs-every-year-or-two-to-bump-salaries game, and consider salary to be the most important consideration with respect to your employment situation, you might end up around $130-140k as a senior developer. But then you need to be careful as your employer might decide you're too expensive and renew your contract with someone else at a much lower rate. This has happened to a couple of my friends.

Yeah, $150k doesn't go quite so far with $3500-4k rent in some parts of the Bay Area.

You of course neglect to mention how little that rents. I live in literally the most boring town in the state, and a single story 1100 square foot house would rent for about that amount. It would probably sell for 1.25-1.75 million.

• ♿ (Parody)

@groaner said in In Defense of Electron:

Your scenario isn't the only way to get that to happen, but I acknowledge that it's the most likely.

• @boomzilla said in In Defense of Electron:

SF area is nuts with respect to cost of living

Can confirm. My 1400sf house (3bed/2bath) is worth somewhere around 1M to 1.4M. Pretty must varies by the week. I make 150/yr and it would be difficult to buy it if I was a first-time buyer... And I live in a fairly reasonable area - NOT Palo Alto!