What the fuck, Android

• ♿ (Parody)

@scarlet_manuka said in What the fuck, Android:

@boomzilla said in What the fuck, Android:

I get what you're saying, but do you really only have a wired network at home?

... yes? Wired routers are a thing.

Well, obviously...I've just never heard of not having wireless in a home router.

• @scarlet_manuka said in What the fuck, Android:

I get what you're saying, but do you really only have a wired network at home?

... yes? Wired routers are a thing.

So are those hand-cranked cars Jay Leno collects (and @boomzilla drives daily)

• ♿ (Parody)

@hungrier Hyeah, well, whatdya expect me to do? Ride one of these?

0_1503407524671_e3ed57e7-93ff-45ad-829b-4c629bbe425f-image.png

• @boomzilla said in What the fuck, Android:

I've just never heard of not having wireless in a home router.

Really never? Or just never recently? (Genuinely curious.) I've had this router since we signed up for broadband, which is just shy of 10 years ago. Perhaps it was more common then?

@jaloopa said in What the fuck, Android:

@scarlet_manuka Have you considered buying a £20 wireless AP for your wifi devices?

Not really. I prefer a wired network: it simplifies security, and enables me to keep an eye on what the kids are doing on the internet, since they have to come into the family room to use it.

Two or three years ago I was looking at replacing the router (but ultimately didn't need to) and was considering getting one that had a button you could press to toggle wi-fi; that would have let us use wi-fi temporarily when we had a specific need, but keep it off most of the time. I haven't looked at the NBN-compatible range from my ISP yet to see if any offer this sort of feature.

• :belt_onion:

've had this router since we signed up for broadband, which is just shy of 10 years ago

Yeesh. Using 10 year old networking hardware is :doing_it_wrong:

• Trolleybus Mechanic

So Android has managed to fuck up any goodwill I had for Bluetooth.

When I was carrying around the iPhone, I paired it to my car stereo. It was great. I would get in the car, turn on the car, and my music would start playing. I turn off the car, it stops playing. I hit BACK or NEXT on the car stereo, and the track goes BACK or NEXT right away. There's even a button that lets me browse the playlists on the phone so I can easily switch.

Now comes the Android. I sit in the car and turn on the car. One of a few things will happen:

1. Nothing, because I don't have the device set to "play when connected"
    2. Nothing, because I DO have the device set to "play when connected", but since the car stereo was off when it connected, it's now playing into nothing, even if I turn the stereo back on. Now I need to switch off of BLUETOOTH AUDIO then back on.
    3. Nothing, because I DO have the device set and the stereo was on, and the track is showing on the dashboard, but I still have to press "Play"
    4. The track will start, sometimes, but always at the START of the track, not where I left off (ultra annoying if listening to a podcast)

Oh, and there's the times when the car stereo is OFF, but it connects to the Android, who instantly starts playing the track because "play on connect" is on, even though the stereo is off. Fuuu...

Then there's the whole "back/next" thing. They work, but the process used to be this:

1. Press NEXT
    2. iPhone goes NEXT instantly
    3. The track starts playing instantly
    4. The track shows up on the dash instantly
    5. Lorne can instantly (less than 0.5 seconds) tell if he wants to listen to this track or press NEXT again

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    3. The Android goes to the next track
    4. No sound for 0.5 seconds
    5. Sound
    6. The dash says "SAMSUNG GMWHATEVER"-- the name of the phone, not the track
    7. Another 1-2 seconds elapse
    8. The name of the song FINALLY appears on the dash
    9. So rather than 0.5 seconds into the song, it's now 5 seconds in that I decide if I want to listen to this or not

What sort of goddamn Rube Goldian hamster wheel of shit is going on that makes switching tracks a FIVE SECOND LONG ordeal?

oh oh oh and the best for last. Remember that super cool button on my car stereo that lets me browse the playlists (well, actually, ALL the tracks by artist or album or whatever, but let's just go with playlist for now). That button doesn't work on Android because there's some different fucking protocol or something. A2DP I think. It either does or doesn't support it meaning the only thing it'll respond to is PLAY STOP NEXT BACK (poorly, as we noted)-- but no file browsing.

HOW THE IDIOTSHIT is "respond to a protocol" such a hard fucking thing to do, Android. The iPhone 4s that came out in 2012 does it. Android's been out since 2005. How the shit have you idiot fuckers not figured this out?

New tagline for this OS. Android: Does Everything. Half-Assed and Poorly.

@lorne-kates said in What the fuck, Android:

When I was carrying around the iPhone, I paired it to my car stereo. It was great. I would get in the car, turn on the car, and my music would start playing. I turn off the car, it stops playing. I hit BACK or NEXT on the car stereo, and the track goes BACK or NEXT right away. There's even a button that lets me browse the playlists on the phone so I can easily switch.

Now comes the Android. I sit in the car and turn on the car. One of a few things will happen:

2. Nothing, because I DO have the device set to "play when connected", but since the car stereo was off when it connected, it's now playing into nothing, even if I turn the stereo back on. Now I need to switch off of BLUETOOTH AUDIO then back on.
    3. Nothing, because I DO have the device set and the stereo was on, and the track is showing on the dashboard, but I still have to press "Play"
    4. The track will start, sometimes, but always at the START of the track, not where I left off (ultra annoying if listening to a podcast)

Oh, and there's the times when the car stereo is OFF, but it connects to the Android, who instantly starts playing the track because "play on connect" is on, even though the stereo is off. Fuuu...

Then there's the whole "back/next" thing. They work, but the process used to be this:

1. Press NEXT
    5. Lorne can instantly (less than 0.5 seconds) tell if he wants to listen to this track or press NEXT again

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound
    9. So rather than 0.5 seconds into the song, it's now 5 seconds in that I decide if I want to listen to this or not

What sort of goddamn Rube Goldian hamster wheel of shit is going on that makes switching tracks a FIVE SECOND LONG ordeal?

oh oh oh and the best for last. Remember that super cool button on my car stereo that lets me browse the playlists (well, actually, ALL the tracks by artist or album or whatever, but let's just go with playlist for now). That button doesn't work on Android because there's some different fucking protocol or something. A2DP I think. It either does or doesn't support it meaning the only thing it'll respond to is PLAY STOP NEXT BACK (poorly, as we noted)-- but no file browsing.

HOW THE IDIOTSHIT is "respond to a protocol" such a hard fucking thing to do, Android. The iPhone 4s that came out in 2012 does it. Android's been out since 2005. How the shit have you idiot fuckers not figured this out?

That could not be any different than my experience using in-car Bluetooth. My Pixel (and the 6P before that) are exactly like the iOS experience, only they also launch Android Auto so it's easier to interact while I'm in the car. I think you need to take all that hate and send it straight to Samsung (or better, just mail them a note 7...), because what you're talking about is Samsung screwing shit up like they always do

• You guys are really OCD.

I have a samsung galaxy S7. I like it. I use it.

I've used an iPhone. I don't like it. I don't use it.

• @sloosecannon said in What the fuck, Android:

That could not be any different than my experience using in-car Bluetooth.

Ah... I get it.

I use the aux input.

Old tech just works...

• kills Dumbledore

My problem with Bluetooth audio is a bit different.

When I use it, it's almost exclusively for podcasts, so I want it to open my podcast app and continue the last one I was listening to. If I've been listening to music previously, Google Play Music will open if I just let it connect, so I make sure to open the podcast app before connecting. Usually, this works. About 1 time in 20, Music will decide that I don't really want to be listening to TWiT, pause it and start playing the last song I was listening to. This is invariably much louder than the podcast so I have to try and pause the fucker while my eardrums are being assaulted, tell Music to fuck off and restart the podcast I'd already listened to a couple of seconds of

• ♿ (Parody)

Really never? Or just never recently? (Genuinely curious.) I've had this router since we signed up for broadband, which is just shy of 10 years ago. Perhaps it was more common then?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the first time I signed up for broadband...uh...maybe 2003? It came with a wireless router.

I have some things connected with wires but wireless is just too convenient for the home not to have. Especially for the phones.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade said in What the fuck, Android:

I use the aux input.

We have usb drives with music on them.

• @sloosecannon said in What the fuck, Android:

I think you need to take all that hate and send it straight to Samsung (or better, just mail them a note 7...), because what you're talking about is Samsung screwing shit up like they always do

Or maybe it's the car audio that was specially tuned to work perfectly fine with iDiot devices.

Because "There's other smartphones than iPhones ???" 🤷🏼♂

• Notification Spam Recipient

@sloosecannon said in What the fuck, Android:

've had this router since we signed up for broadband, which is just shy of 10 years ago

Yeesh. Using 10 year old networking hardware is :doing_it_wrong:

Even then, most of my IBM T42 units can still connect to my Google Wi-Fi just fine...

• @lorne-kates

car stereo Bluetooth problems

Sounds like maybe a Samsung problem, or whatever app you're using. All I do is switch my car to BT Audio and as soon as it connects it works perfect, no delays or anything.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@hungrier said in What the fuck, Android:

@lorne-kates

car stereo Bluetooth problems

Sounds like maybe a Samsung problem, or whatever app you're using. All I do is switch my car to BT Audio and as soon as it connects it works perfect, no delays or anything.

I've tried Neutron Music Player and the stock Music app.

• Dupa

1. Press NEXT

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound

That could not be any different than my experience using in-car Bluetooth. My Pixel (and the 6P before that) are exactly like the iOS experience, only they also launch Android Auto

Or maybe that's because it works that way only if you have an Android Auto-compatible vehicle? Not every car is.

• Dupa

@timebandit said in What the fuck, Android:

I think you need to take all that hate and send it straight to Samsung (or better, just mail them a note 7...), because what you're talking about is Samsung screwing shit up like they always do

Or maybe it's the car audio that was specially tuned to work perfectly fine with iDiot devices.

Because "There's other smartphones than iPhones ???" 🤷🏼♂

Oh yeah, good idea, let's blame Apple when Samsung screws up!

• Dupa

As for Bluetooth pairing: I had great experience with my dad's Mazda 6, although it's not CarPlay-compatible. I had great experience with my dad's new Ford Tourneo, which is CarPlay-compatible.

I don't have any experience with my Smart ForFour 2005, because it's not possible to connect anything to its shitty player, not even a jack-jack connector, so I could stream music from my phone.

@kt_ said in What the fuck, Android:

1. Press NEXT

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound

That could not be any different than my experience using in-car Bluetooth. My Pixel (and the 6P before that) are exactly like the iOS experience, only they also launch Android Auto

Or maybe that's because it works that way only if you have an Android Auto-compatible vehicle? Not every car is.

What makes you think Android Auto is launching in the car? I'm talking about the Android Auto app - which basically changes the phone into the Android Auto screen and makes it more vehicle-friendly to use...

The car I'm talking about ('16 Subaru Forester) is not Android Auto compatible (unfortunately. I wish it was...). But it's able to use Bluetooth connections exactly as described above with my Pixel and my older 6P.

• BINNED

A2DP

If it's A2DP, yeah, the only things that work on that, AFAIK, are ⏯ , ⏮ and ⏭ . That's the BT standard for you, with all the bandwidth BT 4.0 has you can still only get stereo or a working microphone (+mono, obviously).

The iPhone thing was probably some proprietary standard that's not in the actual spec.

@onyx said in What the fuck, Android:

The iPhone thing was probably some proprietary standard that's not in the actual spec.

Nah, Android supports it too. Although support for browsing playlists appears to be new as of 8.0... it supported track info in the older versions though

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@anonymous234 said in What the fuck, Android:

The cursor drag thing is awful if you just want to correct two letters back.

Most people just seem to backspace and retype.

Even on a PC with good cursor positioning controls. 😒

Even if it means retying 90% of a paragraph. 😡 It's like watching someone mouse-type…

• BINNED

@dkf said in What the fuck, Android:

Even on a PC with good cursor positioning controls.

Is this the right time for me to complain about trying to navigate to the previous word using keyboard shortcuts on a MacBook? Also, Sublime Text deciding that fn+ shouldn't be equivalent to Home but rather Ctrl+Home? 😡

Is this the right time for me to complain about trying to navigate to the previous word using keyboard shortcuts on a MacBook?

alt+ not work for you? (The Apple standard shortcuts are merely different to the Windows ones.)

• Dupa

1. Press NEXT

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound

What makes you think Android Auto is launching in the car?

Dunno, shoulder aliens?

• BINNED

Is this the right time for me to complain about trying to navigate to the previous word using keyboard shortcuts on a MacBook?

alt+ not work for you? (The Apple standard shortcuts are merely different to the Windows ones.)

Yeah, after I fumbled round looking for that. Sublime's shit is inexcusable though (since the MacBook doesn't have a dedicated Home button).

@onyx Ah, that's alt+. “Super-obvious”, yes?

• BINNED

@dkf well, then iTerm is doing it wrong, because fn+ worked there 🤷♂

Also, Arduino IDE, IIRC.

• @lorne-kates Well, I don't know if it'll solve all your problems but I use Shuttle for music, and BeyondPod for podcasts and audiobooks.

• ♿ (Parody)

I don't have any experience with my Smart ForFour 2005, because it's not possible to connect anything to its shitty player, not even a jack-jack connector, so I could stream music from my phone.

Put the damn phone away when you're out on the golf course! Sheesh.

• Dupa

Put the damn phone away when you're out on the golf course! Sheesh.

ForFour is not such a small car, it's of swift's size.

• ♿ (Parody)

@kt_ Not that far off:
    0_1503938626441_de5193d1-3658-4e0a-a906-c49f24ce5e0d-image.png

0_1503938749084_62031e3d-8ef7-4719-8baf-e63d1f6f155a-image.png

• @kt_ said in What the fuck, Android:

it's of swift's size

Swift is a really small car 🛒

• Dupa

@timebandit said in What the fuck, Android:

it's of swift's size

Swift is a really small car 🛒

It is small, but not ForTwo/golf cart small.

• @kt_ said in What the fuck, Android:

It is small, but not ForTwo/golf cart small.

You know what I call a ForTwo ?

A bus suppository :trollface:

1. Press NEXT

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound

Dunno, shoulder aliens?

Ah. Carry on then :)

• Dupa

1. Press NEXT

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound

Dunno, shoulder aliens?

I kinda assumed that if you mentioned Android Auto, you meant an Android Auto-compatible car. 🙂

• @erufael said in What the fuck, Android:

@asdf The default Samsung keyboard (at least on the Galaxy S4 and Tab S) is their own keyboard, and it's pretty shitty. And yeah, they do come preinstalled with Swipe.

I still can't do custom ROMs on my GS5. The version of the eMMC that I have doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, and doesn't look like it will get one.

Of course all the phones I got back when I sent it for replacement were the same eMMC. Only my original phone had the good eMMC, but it broke.

1. Press NEXT

The process now is:

1. Press NEXT
    2. 1 second elapses
    5. Sound

Dunno, shoulder aliens?

I kinda assumed that if you mentioned Android Auto, you meant an Android Auto-compatible car. 🙂

That's fair. I wish it was Android Auto compatible, cause then I wouldn't have to mount the phone somewhere visible, it would display on-screen...

@dangeruss said in What the fuck, Android:

@erufael said in What the fuck, Android:

@asdf The default Samsung keyboard (at least on the Galaxy S4 and Tab S) is their own keyboard, and it's pretty shitty. And yeah, they do come preinstalled with Swipe.

I still can't do custom ROMs on my GS5. The version of the eMMC that I have doesn't have an unlocked bootloader, and doesn't look like it will get one.

Of course all the phones I got back when I sent it for replacement were the same eMMC. Only my original phone had the good eMMC, but it broke.

That's unfortunate...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@hungrier said in What the fuck, Android:

@lorne-kates Well, I don't know if it'll solve all your problems but I use Shuttle for music, and BeyondPod for podcasts and audiobooks.

will try

• Trolleybus Mechanic

BTW: Fuck you to whichever of you fuckos recommended Hacker's Keyboard. It doesn't support swipe typing, and according to the FAQ, never will because "it's too hard".

BTW: Fuck you to whichever of you fuckos recommended Hacker's Keyboard. It doesn't support swipe typing, and according to the FAQ, never will because "it's too hard".

Wasn't me. It's only useful for apps that are extremely particular what keys you're pressing (i.e. terminal apps).

• Considered Harmful

Depends what you're using it for. The keyboard picker should be in the notification menu whenever the keyboard is currently open, making it super easy to switch if you need Hacker Keyboard features.

@pie_flavor said in What the fuck, Android:

Depends what you're using it for. The keyboard picker should be in the notification menu whenever the keyboard is currently open, making it super easy to switch if you need Hacker Keyboard features.

That's a whole lot of effort just to do Ctrl-Z....

• kills Dumbledore

swipe typing

I've never got on with that. A decent prediction engine that means you don't need to fully type words is a lot faster IME, especially when swiping doesn't recognize a word and you have to delete it and type it out anyway

@jaloopa said in What the fuck, Android:

A decent prediction engine that means you don't need to fully type words is a lot faster IME, especially when swiping doesn't recognize a word and you have to delete it and type it out anyway

It takes a bit to train the prediction engine in either case (it really does need to know what words you actually use), but swyping is a bit easier when stood on the train as you don't have as big a problem with vibration-induced erroneous hits. I also think it's faster to swype when you're using the phone one-handed.

There may be other differences too. Press-sequences might handle double-letter words better, and swyping might have a more precise idea about what letter you were trying to do? I'm not really certain…

• Considered Harmful

vibration-induced erroneous hits.

:giggity:

• Java Dev

@jaloopa At least the Google keyboard got a bit of prediction going on when swiping too and will autocomplete words so you don't have to swipe them fully in some cases.

@atazhaia said in What the fuck, Android:

@jaloopa At least the Google keyboard got a bit of prediction going on when swiping too and will autocomplete words so you don't have to swipe them fully in some cases.

My biggest problem is not being used to that, so correcting it the slow way after it's already corrected me...