What the fuck, Android

• Considered Harmful

@tsaukpaetra said in What the fuck, Android:

@pie_flavor said in What the fuck, Android:

My point is that rooting the phone has unintended, detrimental side effects

Citation needed.

What, like potentially bricking your phone?

Charging your phone can potentially brick your phone. Receiving a text message with specially arranged characters can potentially brick your phone. Potentially speaking, someone just died.

I don't live in fear of potential.

Can charging actually brick your phone? And the text message thing is out of my control. This is within my control.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Can charging actually brick your phone?

Perhaps you heard of the Samsung Note 7? References available upon request. I can probably even druge up official reports if you pay me.

• Considered Harmful

Perhaps you heard of the Samsung Note 7? References available upon request. I can probably even druge up official reports if you pay me.

If that were relevant, you wouldn't have qualms about buying one because you don't care about potentials.

that's not fucking relevant.

...... What? This is literally an example of a device that caught fire by charging with its own charger! (Yes, I know, technically speaking burnt isn't necessarily bricked, but seriously?)

you wouldn't have qualms about buying one because you don't care about potentials.

Now you're projecting. We're not talking about me, we're talking about you, you idjit.

• Considered Harmful

...... What? This is literally an example of a device that caught fire by charging with its own charger! (Yes, I know, technically speaking burnt isn't necessarily bricked, but seriously?)

Right, and that was a manufacturer defect. That is in no way comparable to installing a completely unsupported hack that involves custom firmware.

Now you're projecting. We're not talking about me, we're talking about you, you idjit.

Holding you to something you said is not projecting.

Right, and that was a manufacturer defect. That is in no way comparable to installing a completely unsupported hack that involves custom firmware.

One could argue that Knox is literally an intentional defect the manufacturer designed into the product.
    Additionally "custom firmware" is a bit vague. By definition, in order to support Knox the firmware must be customized from Stock Android with a Custom Bootloader designed to take advantage of it in order for the system to work.
    But I'm not interested in arguing the legality of using a device you purchased in the way you want to use it.

Holding you to something you said is not projecting.

Am I smelling a fallacy here? I said I don't live in fear of potential. That doesn't mean I don't practice due diligence in protecting myself from harm or accident.

• Considered Harmful

That doesn't mean I don't practice due diligence in protecting myself from harm or accident.

Which is what I'm doing.

One could argue that Knox is literally an intentional defect the manufacturer designed into the product.

No, because it's not a defect.

Additionally "custom firmware" is a bit vague.

Samsung made the phone; Samsung made the firmware.

But I'm not interested in arguing the legality of using a device you purchased in the way you want to use it.

Nor do I care. Irrelevant.

Nor do I care. Irrelevant.

You do care, else you wouldn't have spent, I dunno, nearly twenty posts arguing about.... fuck I don't even know at this point. And now you've got me swearing. Are you happy?

• :belt_onion:

@lorne-kates said in What the fuck, Android:

Root uninstall it immediately

Which screws you over if you ever have to make a warranty repair on it. Not that you even can root uninstall it, cause it's so deeply integrated into the OS that you'd brick your phone trying.

Unfortunately, modern Verizon phones are locked down hard enough that getting root is extremely unlikely. It's not like most other carriers where you can just unlock the bootloader and you're good - it requires a fair amount of work if it's even possible. Of course root exploits are one of the few things that they'll actually push updates for too, so if you miss that window you need to wait for the researchers to find another one and for someone to make it exploitable - not an easy thing, especially with a number of changes to recent versions that complicate the process tremendously.

My point is that rooting the phone has unintended, detrimental side effects

Citation needed.

What, like potentially bricking your phone?

This, however is extraordinarily unlikely. Even if you do brick, it will probably be a soft-brick. We're not talking about installing a custom ROM here, we're just talking about putting an executable in the right spot on the hard drive...

If you're using a Samsung phone, you're much more likely to brick due to Samsung stupidity than you are to brick from trying to root it...

No, I don't have a use for it because I don't have unlimited data. Are you even reading my posts?

How on Earth do you have a VZW plan with limited data and tethering fees? WTF?

Samsung made the phone; Samsung made the firmware

Which you aren't actually modifying when you root, but meh.

Perhaps you're confusing two very different things. Custom ROMs (custom firmware) are a completely different OS. They're actually much more stable than rooting stock, and usually come with pretty good support, with the downside of (usually) needing an unlocked bootloader, and losing support for some features on some phones.
    Rooting stock, on the other hand, is using some method (sometimes a supported one, sometimes not) to install su into /system/bin, allowing you to run things as root.

On modern Verizon phones (and specifically Samsung phones), it's usually a locked bootloader, meaning the much cleaner method of installing root via a custom recovery is out of the question. This usually also means custom ROMs are out of the question, although natureXDA always finds a way. That means you need to use a root privilege exploit to gain root access. Combined with selinux and a bunch of other things, this makes rooting a really difficult process to achieve on modern locked-bootloader phones.

Root won't screw you over like you keep saying it will. That's just not how it works. But actually achieving root is much harder on today's devices, so it's usually not worth the hassle, unless you've got a device that supports it easily (Nexus/Pixel direct from Google with an unlockable bootloader, for example.)

@sloosecannon said in What the fuck, Android:

Rooting stock, on the other hand, is using some method (sometimes a supported one, sometimes not) to install su into /system/bin, allowing you to run things as root.

I miss the days when it was as easy as remounting the /system partition and just copying it over and rebooting. Heck, I miss the days when the OS was just over 100mb zipped, but it seems we're in the age of bloated everything...

• Considered Harmful

No, I don't have a use for it because I don't have unlimited data. Are you even reading my posts?

Which type of 'how' are you using? If it's motivation, I already stated it; if it's fact, then VZW only offered limited when it was originally bought, and they changed the rules without my asking last year.

Which type of 'how' are you using? If it's motivation, I already stated it; if it's fact, then VZW only offered limited when it was originally bought, and they changed the rules without my asking last year.

No, I'm asking how it's possible. Every plan they've offered in the last... like 5+ years... has free tethering. The only ones that don't are legacy unlimited plans

• Considered Harmful

No, I'm asking how it's possible. Every plan they've offered in the last... like 5+ years... has free tethering. The only ones that don't are legacy unlimited plans

Beats me. I don't know how long my parents have had their 6-gig plan for, but I know that it's definitely limited, it's definitely VZW, and it's definitely extra for hotspot.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

e, but I researched the phone. I don't know exactly why you're assuming I didn't.

Because if you researched the phone, found out it was a shitty phone and still bought it, that's make you a fucking moron, and I was giving you the benefit of only assuming you were a idiot for not researching.

That you researched the phone, found it was shitty, bought it still, AND now you blame Verizon for selling it to you as if it's their fault... well that pushes you orders of magnitude further into being an extremely brain dead fucking idiot moron. Aka "a Discodev"

• Considered Harmful

e, but I researched the phone. I don't know exactly why you're assuming I didn't.

Because if you researched the phone, found out it was a shitty phone and still bought it, that's make you a fucking moron, and I was giving you the benefit of only assuming you were a idiot for not researching.

That you researched the phone, found it was shitty, bought it still, AND now you blame Verizon for selling it to you as if it's their fault... well that pushes you orders of magnitude further into being an extremely brain dead fucking idiot moron. Aka "a Discodev"

You're not reading my posts. The phone is a good phone. Verizon does this with EVERY phone. The carrier is the problem, and was chosen out of necessity.

You use 'Discodev' like a SJW would use 'Nazi'.

Actually, a lot of this sounds like SJW logic, just with SJ replaced with tech. Double standards, accusation of requiring effort, whining about privilege (in different words). I'll call you a TJW if you call me a Discodev.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Which screws you over if you ever have to make a warranty repair on it. Not that you even can root uninstall it, cause it's so deeply integrated into the OS that you'd brick your phone trying.

O look, you're wrong AGAIN!

First hit on Google after searching for "how to uninstall knox"

Such a simple search that came up with the correct information, within a few seconds. And you weren't able to do that. It really makes me wonder how well you actually "researched" that piece of shit phone of yours. If you are even capable of discovering simple, obvious information. Though, given being this oblivious to basic facts is a primary hallmark of a Discodev like you.

And as for warranty... hahahahahahahaha... do you think Samsung will ever honour a warranty for anything anyways? And you know, you can always factory reset it before sending it in... since that's the first step they'll do anyways.

Though from the sound of it, you're the type off idiot sucker telecoms love. Someone who shelled out $1600 via their plan to pay for a piece of shit $25 Korean knockoff android phone. Did you pay for the extended warranty, too?

Or, you could have been even mildly tech literate, bought an unlocked phone off eBay, and byop. But oh no scary!

• Trolleybus Mechanic

He probably "researched" the plan... by asking the salesman if it was the best plan, then believed the telecom salesman when he said he wouldn't cum in his mouth this was the best plan ever possible and a really great deal

• Considered Harmful

do you think Samsung will ever honour a warranty for anything anyways?

They have, twice.

• Considered Harmful

He probably "researched" the plan... by asking the salesman if it was the best plan, then believed the telecom salesman when he said he wouldn't cum in his mouth this was the best plan ever possible and a really great deal

You're either illiterate, or retarded. I have said multiple times now that I used Verizon so that I could be on my parents' plan.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

The phone is a good phone. Verizon does this with EVERY phone. The carrier is the problem, and was chosen out of necessity.

No it isn't. In your own words, Verizon sold you a shitty phone. Now whose not reading your posts?

You use 'Discodev' like a SJW would use 'Nazi'.

Lol oh my god do you actually use the term SJW just when I thought you couldn't get any lamer.

And I call you a Discodev because you are one, here to try to troll us... But doing it in a half-assesd, incompetent, obvious way that only a Discodev can. Every word out of your mouth had the telltale stench of Attwood's shit-laced cum from all the ass kidding and dick worship you do.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

They have, twice.

"My phone isn't shitty, but I've had to have it factory repaired twice in less than a year. Great phone, the best."

• Trolleybus Mechanic

You're either illiterate, or retarded. I have said multiple times now that I used Verizon so that I could be on my parents' plan.

And your someone that uses "retarded" as an insult. Maybe I was wrong about you being a Discodev, even they wouldn't be that uncivilized.

Also, here's a something that may shock you... you're allowed to have your own plan. And your own bank account. And even your own food and nutrients one you cut your umbilical cord.

Congratulations, you've successfully described uninstalling the Knox app.

Not the Knox software protection platform built in to the OS, that trips when you root it, blows a QFuse, and marks your device as "damaged" for all eternity.

If you tell me how to do that, I'll be impressed.

But you can't. Because you can't.

Such a simple search that came up with the correct information, within a few seconds. And you weren't able to do that. It really makes me wonder how well you actually "researched" that piece of shit phone of yours. If you are even capable of discovering simple, obvious information. Though, given being this oblivious to basic facts is a primary hallmark of a Discodev like you.

And as for warranty... hahahahahahahaha... do you think Samsung will ever honour a warranty for anything anyways? And you know, you can always factory reset it before sending it in... since that's the first step they'll do anyways.

Though from the sound of it, you're the type off idiot sucker telecoms love. Someone who shelled out $1600 via their plan to pay for a piece of shit $25 Korean knockoff android phone. Did you pay for the extended warranty, too?

Or, you could have been even mildly tech literate, bought an unlocked phone off eBay, and byop. But oh no scary!

Wait, did you confuse @pie_flavor and me? Cause you were talking to @pie_flavor, and I was the one who wrote that post.

You would never catch me with a Samsung phone. Hell no. Because of shit like Knox.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Wait, did you confuse @pie_flavor and me?

Maybe? Blame mobile.

• Considered Harmful

Maybe? Blame mobile.

Good, now I can call you an idiot in so many more ways. I didn't want to before because you didn't look like you were responding to me.

Such a simple search that came up with the correct information, within a few seconds. And you weren't able to do that.

You may have missed the posts you're responding to which claim that I don't actually care one way or the other. Also, while we're on the topic of obvious information, I said I had an S7 Edge. According to the article you linked, that means it's not on by default. Since I didn't care enough to research it in the first place, and stated that I didn't even know what it does but had only heard of it happening, it doesn't matter for me. Since you were so adamant about that point, that makes it your blunder.

It really makes me wonder how well you actually "researched" that piece of shit phone of yours.

This is such a stupid statement I don't know why you keep saying it. The S7 Edge is a very good phone, and nothing about the phone itself is the cause of the original problem. I researched it before I bought it. Hell, you're still operating under the delusion that I have some use for hotspot that I was missing when I said that I had literally no use for hotspot. And that's STILL a PROVIDER feature, not a PHONE feature. So when we're talking about RESEARCH, no I didn't research my provider plan, because it was already purchased and I didn't have to pay for it.
    If you say I didn't research the phone/provider again, without any new information coming to light, I declare you not even worth flamewarring with, because at least the good trolls make an effort.

Though, given being this oblivious to basic facts is a primary hallmark of a Discodev like you.

And being this toxic is a primary hallmark of a TJW like you.

And you know, you can always factory reset it before sending it in... since that's the first step they'll do anyways.

To add on to my last point of 'yes they did honor it, twice', they did not factory reset it when they repaired it.

Though from the sound of it, you're the type off idiot sucker telecoms love. Someone who shelled out $1600 via their plan to pay for a piece of shit $25 Korean knockoff android phone.

No, the phone was reasonably priced and the plan was already purchased. You don't read my posts. And I don't think that Samsung phones count as 'piece of shit knockoffs' given that it's literally the largest conglomerate in South Korea, and their phones are almost as popular as stock Google ones. Not to mention an S7 Edge is certainly more expensive than $25. Troll harder.

Did you pay for the extended warranty, too?

I paid for the any-at-all warranty, which I mentioned was useful.

Or, you could have been even mildly tech literate

Says the guy who still can't select text on mobile. 🚎

Lol oh my god do you actually use the term SJW just when I thought you couldn't get any lamer.

I'm sure you don't use the term SJW the same way fish don't use the term 'water'.

Also,
    @lorne-kates said in Your hero Milo is a pedophile:

@Groaner said in Your hero Milo is a pedophile:

What I'm not okay with is someone losing his/her job

Guess what? Free speech doesn't include job protection. Unless you're using a fedora-hat version of "free speech".

And hey, the people who fired him (sorry, from which he just happened to resign) are apparently extreme proponents of "free speech" that SJWs are attacking. So if this was a free-speech issue, why did he get fired/dropped from "teh free speech warriro" sites?

Breitbart? "Free speech is under attack from SJWs and lib-cucks, we can say whatever we want." Fired him.
    CPAC? "It's important to have voices, our free speech is under attack from SJW-theist!" Fired him.
    Maher? "I'm a goddamn fucking troll free speech whyumad bro?" Fired him.
    S&S? "He has important things to say and free speech is important to publish". Fired him.

None of these were libtard snowflakes. And realistically, none of those platforms were targeted AT liberals-- so there should have been no worry about losing revenue, clicks, views or book sales from liberals.

So if this was really about "free speech" like those RIGHT-WING non-liberal platforms claim to be, why did they all fire him?

There's others; I'm just too lazy to scroll down the search page.

And I call you a Discodev because you are one, here to try to troll us...

You have yet to actually put any link between me and Discourse except that I use it on a daily basis and don't hate it yet. I don't even know Ruby.

Every word out of your mouth

continues to use the keyboard with fingers and not whatever @Lorne-Kates is talking about

had the telltale stench of Attwood's shit-laced cum from all the ass kiddssing and dick worship you do.

You're real fun to talk to.

"My phone isn't shitty, but I've had to have it factory repaired twice in less than a year. Great phone, the best."

The screen cracked once; it got stolen once. Troll harder.

And you're someone that uses "retarded" as an insult. Maybe I was wrong about you being a Discodev,; even they wouldn't be that uncivilized.

As an individual with autism, I reserve the right to call people retarded. You fit the bill magnificently. Although you may have noticed that it's only slightly uncommon parlance around here - have you ever even ventured into the garage? Also,

@lorne-kates said in Trump bites:

@Polygeekery said in Trump bites:

Your reading comprehension is becoming legendarily poor. I was responding to your post about the NYT article. Retard.

You don't even know what the source of the article I posted is, and MY reading comprehension is poor?

You are literally paint-chip snorting retarded.

There's others; I'm just too lazy to scroll down the search page.

Also, here's a something that may shock you... you're allowed to have your own plan. And your own bank account. And even your own food and nutrients one you cut your umbilical cord.

I am. I have the latter two; the former is an option I don't actually have to pay for. Free shit > shit I pay for. If I cared enough, I'd switch.

Also, given the <del> and <ins>, I think I can see why you can't select text on mobile.

• The solution to the whole "oh no unlocking a thing with a touch keyboard in public is dangerous to security" is just to have a cell phone that makes phone calls and then use a goddamn computer for computer stuff.

The screen cracked once; it got stolen once. Troll harder.

You got the factory to repair a stolen phone? Tell me your secrets, god among mortals!

And you're someone that uses "retarded" as an insult. Maybe I was wrong about you being a Discodev,; even they wouldn't be that uncivilized.

As an individual with autism, I reserve the right to call people retarded. You fit the bill magnificently. Although you may have noticed that it's only slightly uncommon parlance around here - have you ever even ventured into the garage? Also,

Oh, so now you can hide behind "I'm disabled don't pick on me!" ??! Yeah, right. Fuck that noise. If you're interacting at this level I have no pity for you.

• Considered Harmful

You got the factory to repair a stolen phone? Tell me your secrets, god among mortals!

No, I just got a new one. It was still massively discounted due to the warranty/insurance thing.

Oh, so now you can hide behind "I'm disabled don't pick on me!" ??! Yeah, right. Fuck that noise. If you're interacting at this level I have no pity for you.

Excuse me? All I was saying is I am more than allowed to call @Lorne-Kates retarded. I have never in my life hid behind "I'm disabled don't pick on me!", and I'm not about to start now.

Excuse me? All I was saying is I am more than allowed to call @Lorne-Kates retarded. I have never in my life hid behind "I'm disabled don't pick on me!", and I'm not about to start now.

Oh good. I retract my statement then.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

SJW

lol, you still use that unironically. Wow.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

As an individual with autism, I reserve the right to call people retarded.

And no you don't because:

1. it's still an unbelievably offensive term
    2. you are being a complete shitheel equating autism with "retarded"
    3. even if they were equal, you could only call other autistic people retarded.
    4. go ahead and do #3 anyways, it'll be a good way to alienate your peers. I hear it's a very popular thing to do with people who are shitheels. 🦊

• Considered Harmful

As an individual with autism, I reserve the right to call people retarded.

And no you don't because:

1. it's still an unbelievably offensive term
    2. you are being a complete shitheel equating autism with "retarded"
    3. even if they were equal, you could only call other autistic people retarded.
    4. go ahead and do #3 anyways, it'll be a good way to alienate your peers. I hear it's a very popular thing to do with people who are shitheels. 🦊

I'm confirming that you don't actually read the post you're responding to. I quoted you saying it.
    Also, I laugh when you go on such a rant, and claim that I literally suck Jeff Atwood's ass, and then whine that I'm being offensive.
    Heyyyyy - you're furthering my point that you behave like an SJW - insulting people ad nauseum, then complaining when you perceive them to be offensive.

Android 4.3, so way out of date.

Bzzt.

(Psst - that article is the same as the last one. It's talking about how to disable Knox the app. Not Knox the security framework. Disabling Knox the app doesn't do anything to the stuff built in to the OS.)

Not the Knox software protection platform built in to the OS, that trips when you root it, blows a QFuse, and marks your device as "damaged" for all eternity.

But you can't. Because you can't.

I don't know if it's still possible, but it was possible with the Galaxy S3, at least. Took me a couple days of very careful work to root it and keep the warranty bit set.

That QFuse stuff is absolute bullshit. If you want to base warranty on whether the system partition's exactly as issued, everything's signed, etc... that's fine. It makes people who are fooling with their phones return to a supported software configuration (potentially fixing their own problem right off the bat) before trying to claim warranty. But blowing a hardware fuse is just absolute nonsense. That's what turned me off of Samsung for all future phones.

@heterodox said in What the fuck, Android:

I don't know if it's still possible, but it was possible with the Galaxy S3, at least. Took me a couple days of very careful work to root it and keep the warranty bit set.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't in newer versions. I've seen a couple get released but they're pretty quickly patched away.

That's one of the reasons I'm pretty much Google-only at this point. Samsung is the worst about that, but most of the OEMs operate that way now...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Also, I laugh when you go on such a rant, and claim that I literally suck Jeff Atwood's ass, and then whine that I'm being offensive.

I said you suck his cock and lick his ass. Do you even read my posts?!?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Wanna bet my phone has 4.3? I have no idea what it has, but I bet it's 4.3.

I certainly hope it doesn't, cause 4.3 is about the worst of the worst - slow, insecure, lacking app support and most major features...

You can check your version by going to [OH WAIT FUCK YOU SAMSUNG AND YOUR STUPID CUSTOMIZED SETTINGS MENU]

• Trolleybus Mechanic

I certainly hope it doesn't, cause 4.3 is about the worst of the worst - slow, insecure, lacking app support and most major features...
    You can check your version by going to [OH WAIT FUCK YOU SAMSUNG AND YOUR STUPID CUSTOMIZED SETTINGS MENU]

• Considered Harmful

wat?
    Settings, About Phone. Easy.

• Considered Harmful

I said you suck his cock and lick his ass. Do you even read my posts?!?

Literally validating the post you're responding to. 💯

• Garbage Person

@pie_flavor Um, no. He said you A his B and C his D. You claimed he said you A his D. Not the same thing.

• Considered Harmful

@greybeard said in What the fuck, Android:

@pie_flavor Um, no. He said you A his B and C his D. You claimed he said you A his D. Not the same thing.

I didn't say they were the same thing. I'm saying he's validating

Heyyyyy - you're furthering my point that you behave like an SJW - insulting people ad nauseum, then complaining when you perceive them to be offensive.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Literally validating the post you're responding to.

Exactly. I'm validating that your posts are dumb.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

SJW

lol. It's like an old dude on Fox News complaining about the Milleniums.