Amazing market research

• Did you know that people who purchase wireless routers are also likely to enjoy reading Harry Potter?  I have to wonder what market research lead to that conclusion...

• @JasonHise said:

Did you know that people who purchase wireless routers are also likely to enjoy reading Harry Potter?  I have to wonder what market research lead to that conclusion...

I don't think it's market research in terms of people sitting around looking at market data and figuring out what a person would like.  Rather, it's probably an algorithm that just looks at an item, and sees other items buyers of that item or related items had purchased.  It wouldn't surprise me that a good number of comp geeks are purchasing the Harry Potter books, I think all the comp geeks I know enjoy Harry Potter.  Then again, the simple fact that Harry Potter is going to be such a popular book, that it will find a relationship with just about any item bought.

• If there isn't a strong enough link between the item you're looking at and other items, what they'll do is just give you hot sellers that they hope you'll buy. It's just another place to advertise.

That being said....

• LOL! :O  That Walmart comparison is borderline racist!

• The Walmart Planet of the Apes thing was actually a big news story more than a year ago.  Supposedly they took it right down when it was discovered. I'm guessing that's an old screenshot? 

• Whenever I buy a Bible online I always order something horribly tasteless as well, just so that other users will see "People who bought The Bible also bought ..."

OK, that's not quite true.  The reality is that whenever I buy something horribly tasteless I always buy a Bible at the same time, just for that reason.

(Now I've got enough bibles to start my own church.)

• @shadowman said:

The Walmart Planet of the Apes thing was actually a big news story more than a year ago.  Supposedly they took it right down when it was discovered. I'm guessing that's an old screenshot? 

That's almost certainly a pre-2.0 build of Firefox.

• @Morbii said:

LOL! :O  That Walmart comparison is borderline racist!

And an insult to Dorothy Dandridge!!