Trick Interview Questions

• @fatdog said:

All right, pop quiz hot shots. Airport. Gunman with one hostage. He's using her for cover; he's almost to a plane. You're a hundred feet away.

Which advice did you take?  Are you still there?

• I shoot him with my flamethrower.

I do get a flamethrower, right?

• @Albatross said:

I shoot him with my flamethrower.

I do get a flamethrower, right?

You can't actually shoot somebody with a flamethrower. It's not a gun. The best you can do is to set them on fire. You've been playing too many FPSes.

• @newfweiler said:

@fatdog said:

All right, pop quiz hot shots. Airport. Gunman with one hostage. He's using her for cover; he's almost to a plane. You're a hundred feet away.

I'm the one asking the question here mister...

But since you asked so nicely I would have:

1. Get my laptop and write some code on ActionScript (yes flash is cool) to calculate how many meters are a 100 feet. I only have ten fingers and that's as far as I can count.

2. Do some googling to find out what kind of gun I have and learn how to shoot it.

3. Post in a forum to get experts opinions.

4. (I'lll have to wait for an answer in the forum to see what to do on this step, why did you think I posted here then?).

• @fatdog said:

@newfweiler said:

@fatdog said:

I'm the one asking the question here mister...

But since you asked so nicely I would have:

1. Get my laptop and write some code on ActionScript (yes flash is cool) to calculate how many meters are a 100 feet. I only have ten fingers and that's as far as I can count.

2. Do some googling to find out what kind of gun I have and learn how to shoot it.

3. Post in a forum to get experts opinions.

4. (I'lll have to wait for an answer in the forum to see what to do on this step, why did you think I posted here then?).

You should steal the gunman's underpants, that is step 4.

Step 6 is PROFIT!

• @bonzombiekitty said:

Never got a trick interview question, but a few years ago when I was interviewing for a co-op position in the System Test department at the company I currently work at, I got this sorta odd question:

<My company> has a satellite in space.  This satellite is made up of three nodes.  Each node is connected to two other nodes such that it forms a triangle (at this point I think he's being serious). Every ten minutes we send a signal to this satellite.  (still thinking he's serious).  This signal causes three radioactive spiders, which are each in they're own node to move to an adjacent node (my mind shifts without a clutch...).  Each node can only hold one spider at a time; if the spiders try to occupy the same node at the same time or run into eachother when trying to move nodes, they explode.  Is this satellite a good idea?  What are the chances of it blowing up?

Once I recovered from the absurdity of the question, I answered the question quickly.  Apparently I answered the question faster than anyone before and anyone since then.  The guy interviewing me had to come up with some other random questions on the spot to fill the fifteen minutes it was supposed to take me to answer.  Supposedly the question is designed to just see how your thought process goes.  I just gave the answer in like 10 seconds.       

I know I'm late entering this discussion, but you all should know that keeping those radioactive spiders in space is a bad idea.  They have better things to do, like biting Peter Parker.

I'm pretty confident that if you responded with that, the dude would give you the job on the spot.

If not, also consider the following points:

- Sending all three spiders to bite Peter Parker could be catastrophic if they bump into each other on earth.  We'd much rather have the explosion occur in space.

- If the spiders all move in the same direction, and we can guarantee that they move concurrently, there is no risk of explosion.  This  makes the satellite an ideal spider-storage-unit.  Keep two spiders there while the other one bites Parker.  Put that one back when you're done so it can wait until Parker dies and a new Spiderman is needed.

- If the above premise is false, correct solution is to send 2 of the spiders outside the solar system and detonate them safely.  Send 3rd spider to bite Parker, then store it in the satellite by itself.  No chance it'll bump into any other spiders there.

• Never got a trick interview question, but a few years ago when I was interviewing for a co-op position in the System Test department at the company I currently work at, I got this sorta odd question:

<My company> has a satellite in space.  This satellite is made up of three nodes.  Each node is connected to two other nodes such that it forms a triangle (at this point I think he's being serious). Every ten minutes we send a signal to this satellite.  (still thinking he's serious).  This signal causes three radioactive spiders, which are each in they're own node to move to an adjacent node (my mind shifts without a clutch...).  Each node can only hold one spider at a time; if the spiders try to occupy the same node at the same time or run into eachother when trying to move nodes, they explode.  Is this satellite a good idea?  What are the chances of it blowing up?

Once I recovered from the absurdity of the question, I answered the question quickly.  Apparently I answered the question faster than anyone before and anyone since then.  The guy interviewing me had to come up with some other random questions on the spot to fill the fifteen minutes it was supposed to take me to answer.  Supposedly the question is designed to just see how your thought process goes.  I just gave the answer in like 10 seconds.        

All the statistic-answers are fun to read, but am I the only one who wants to answer 100% because moving from one node to the other isn't an atomic operation?

"Realisticly", the nodes are connected with tubes of somesort. But the interviewer never mentioned them, thus, they don't exist.

• @wacco said:

All the statistic-answers are fun to read, but am I the only one who wants to answer 100% because moving from one node to the other isn't an atomic operation?

"Realisticly", the nodes are connected with tubes of somesort. But the interviewer never mentioned them, thus, they don't exist.

What is the official answer to this question? What answer were they looking for?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@newguy said:

What is the official answer to this question? What answer were they looking for?

Which question? There were two:

Is this satellite a good idea?  What are the chances of it blowing up?

The second doesn't specify a timeframe.Odds on blowing up on one signal or over a longer period? 

• One of my favorites is, "How do you divide your time between planning and coding?"

They typically start by giving me all sorts of percentages. Like, "I spend 85% planning and 15% coding."

What they don't know is the answer that *I* expect to hear is 100% coding. I don't want the people under me thinking. I want coders. Don't plan, just code. I don't pay you to think.  

Thats so stupid I feel like hitting the "Report abuse" button

• I've been reading The Mythical Man-Month, and I just came across the following passage:

"I have long enjoyed asking candidate programmers, 'Where is next November?' . . . The really good programmers have strong spatial senses; they usually have geometric models of time; and they quite often understand the first question without elaboration."

• @Cthulhu said:

One of my favorites is, "How do you divide your time between planning and coding?"

They typically start by giving me all sorts of percentages. Like, "I spend 85% planning and 15% coding."

What they don't know is the answer that *I* expect to hear is 100% coding. I don't want the people under me thinking. I want coders. Don't plan, just code. I don't pay you to think.  

Thats so stupid I feel like hitting the "Report abuse" button

The only reason that offends you is because it disturbs you to know that no matter how good a coder you are, you are at the complete whim of the interviewer. Sucks, doesn't it? 

• This just in: you don't get 100% of the jobs you interview for. 

It's the fault of the interviewer, don't you know.

-cw

• @rmr said:

I've been reading The Mythical Man-Month, and I just came across the following passage:

"I have long enjoyed asking candidate programmers, 'Where is next November?' . . . The really good programmers have strong spatial senses; they usually have geometric models of time; and they quite often understand the first question without elaboration."

In my mental model the days of the week and the months of the year are each arranged in a disc, as if they were marked off on the surface of a 45-rpm record.  (45-rpm records were the newest format when I was born.)  Oddly, the days of the week go around clockwise, and the months of the year go around counter-clockwise.  I suppose this inconsistency would disqualify me for the job.

• @CodeWhisperer said:

This just in: you don't get 100% of the jobs you interview for. 

-cw

What's that supposed to mean? How is it ever the fault of the interviewer? The interviewer is the one in control, not the candidate. 

• Exactly, so if you don't get the job it must be because of the whim of the interviewer, right?   His fault.  No chance that you interviewed badly or weren't qualified for the position, after all.

-cw

• @CodeWhisperer said:

Exactly, so if you don't get the job it must be because of the whim of the interviewer, right?   His fault.  No chance that you interviewed badly or weren't qualified for the position, after all.

-cw

CodeWhisperer, you annoy me sometimes.

• @CPound said:

@CodeWhisperer said:

This just in: you don't get 100% of the jobs you interview for. 

-cw

What's that supposed to mean? How is it ever the fault of the interviewer? The interviewer is the one in control, not the candidate. 

Both the interviewer and the interviewee are in control.  It requires an agreement from both parties to form a working relationship.  Have you never turned down a job offer?

• A good interview is directed by the interviewer, but both parties can push it in different directions. 

However, nothing that involves communicating with CPound would be considered good, so this point is mute. 

• @RaspenJho said:

Both the interviewer and the interviewee are in control.  It requires an agreement from both parties to form a working relationship.  Have you never turned down a job offer?

I've turned down plenty of job offers in my time. But that's not the point.

Now that I am in management, I understand what it's like to be in that position of power. Say what you want, but the candidate wields very little power in the interview arena. Candidates come a dime a dozen, so try to impress me with your expertise and I can show you 30 other candidates better than you.

It bothers people to hear this, because this means that as a candidate you have to work harder at getting the job you want. Yes, that means bathing, wearing a suit, and having good manners. Cutting that pony tail and removing all piercings before the interview helps too. 

• good programmers are a dime a dozen?   There is a chance that you have never actually met a good programmer in this case. 

PS.  enjoy your power trip. 

• @tster said:

good programmers are a dime a dozen?   There is a chance that you have never actually met a good programmer in this case. 

PS.  enjoy your power trip. 

He never said "good". CPound doesn't want "good" programmers anyway, he wants code monkeys, but without the smell, he wants to make grand designs and then let hordes of keyboard-banging monkeys implement his visions of grandeur.

He's that kind of manager, you know, the one for whom programmers are liabilities unless they're obedient yes-men, the one for whom coworkers are little more than furnitures unless they're above him on the managerial ladder, etc...

I a word, ignore his posts, your blood pressure will thank you.

• 0 represents a male dog, 1 represents a female dog.

Permutaions
    0000,0001,0010,0011,0100,0101,0110,0111,1000,1001,1010,1011,1100,1101,1110,1111

Combination corresponding to each permutation above
    0000,1000,1000,1100,1000,1100,1100,1110,1000,1100,1100,1110,1100,1110,1110,1111

Frequency of each combination
    0000  1
    1000  4
    1100  6
    1110  4
    1111  1

Most likely combination

i.e. 2 females and 2 males

• @OscarBlock said:

0 represents a male dog, 1 represents a female dog.

Permutaions

0000  1
    1000  4
    1100  6
    1110  4
    1111  1

Most likely combination

• @CPound said:

It bothers people to hear this, because this means that as a candidate you have to work harder at getting the job you want. Yes, that means bathing, wearing a suit, and having good manners. Cutting that pony tail and removing all piercings before the interview helps too. 

This again?

And yet, so many programmers get jobs despite piercings, pony tails, social incompetence, and a wardrobe consisting of jeans & tshirts.  (Bathing still helps)

They may not get jobs when you're the hiring manager, but there's a lot of other fish in the sea, as they say. 

-cw

• @CodeWhisperer said:

@CPound said:

This again?

And yet, so many programmers get jobs despite piercings, pony tails, social incompetence, and a wardrobe consisting of jeans & tshirts.  (Bathing still helps)

They may not get jobs when you're the hiring manager, but there's a lot of other fish in the sea, as they say. 

-cw

Yes, but he is CPound while you're a mere mortal, how dare you even speak to him? How dare you disagree with him? HE'S CPOUND DAMMIT!

• @OscarBlock said:

0 represents a male dog, 1 represents a female dog.

Permutaions

0000  1
    1000  4
    1100  6
    1110  4
    1111  1

Most likely combination

I agree with you, but The World's Highest IQ does not.  She says:

All males:  1

All females:  1

2 of each:  6

3 of one and 1 of the other:  8

If it's any consolation, you can probably apply similar statistical methods to show that your IQ is even higher than hers.

• @rmr said:

'Where is next November?'

*pointing*  Over that way... ish....

• @rmr said:

'Where is next November?'

"Shit!  It was just here ...."