What would revive TDWTF Mafia?

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

If you're in @mafia-players already, I'm not talking to you.

If I go back to Shipwreck Mafia, we had ten players including the GM. The following are not signed up for this game:

If I go back to Bushido, we also see

The games have been getting smaller and smaller over time. People have been dropping off. So I ask each of you named above: what would it take to entice you back to play?

• SockDev

@yamikuronue said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

what would it take to entice you back to play?

Unfortunately I'm not sure you could entice me back as a player.

From my perspective the games just have been too nasty, with tempers getting far too elevated during gameplay in ways that spilled over into other threads around the forums. A situation i found most distressing, to the point i've stopped even observing the games.

Also the players here seem to have a limited ability to compartmentalize the games, even though games are supposed to be isolated prior games kept coming back to plague players in future games. Once someone played brilliantly as scum they seemed to be forever branded with that suspicion.

I love the concept of the games and i had a lot of fun playing some of them ( @weng's games in particular were a lot of fun to play) but My interests lie more in the RP aspect of the gaming, and that is something that the meta of our forums does not encourage. That, and the other issues, I don't see being fixed any time soon, if at all.... so i stopped playing, and muted the category so that i could ignore it, much in the same way i mute the garage, or most threads started by @whargarbl, for my sanity and mental health.

@accalia said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

From my perspective the games just have been too nasty

This is a common complaint.

I had intended to begin being more strict about who can and cannot play in games I'm running based on past behavior. Would that improve the situation for you?

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Well, if you could get our company sponsored so we can hire back all our people so I don't have to be one of the sole-remaining support pillars, that might free up some time to play again...

@tsaukpaetra said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

that might free up some time to play again...

Would more lax posting restrictions help? Or is it just that bad?

(I hope things improve for you soon!)

@tsaukpaetra said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

that might free up some time to play again...

Would more lax posting restrictions help? Or is it just that bad?

(I hope things improve for you soon!)

Well as we went from 40+ people to five (including me), it's been somewhat crowded. I don't think we'll ever clean up JIRA...

• SockDev

From my perspective the games just have been too nasty

This is a common complaint.

I had intended to begin being more strict about who can and cannot play in games I'm running based on past behavior. Would that improve the situation for you?

it would improve the situation, yes but then we would be crating a new and different problem where our already small pool of interested players would shrink ever more as players that are rejected from a game on what would have to be a rather arbitrary decision from the GM would be somewhat prone to not being interested in playing at all at that point and could even go so far as to poison the well of players such that the games themselves fall apart.

Not to mention that the intention is not the action and I cannot honestly see myself returning as a player until the nastiness aspect has been shown to be removed.

our already small pool of interested players

I mean, if removing 1-2 players would entice 5-6 back, it'd be a net win. Don't know that this is true, or that it'd be the same players for everyone, just throwing out suggestions.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Life's gotten busy. I'd love to argue with you asshats recreationally, but the time is basically just gone.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

If you're in @mafia-players already, I'm not talking to you.

If I go back to Shipwreck Mafia, we had ten players including the GM. The following are not signed up for this game:

If I go back to Bushido, we also see

The games have been getting smaller and smaller over time. People have been dropping off. So I ask each of you named above: what would it take to entice you back to play?

I'm not listed, but the main reason I had to quit isn't something you can fix: I was putting too much time into it that I needed, and still need, to allocate to other things. At least, you can't fix it without having a short valid play time per day, which I don't think would work here. My personal (i.e., non-work) time management is crappy enough as is, playing in the games only aggravated that :(.

I haven't watched any games since I quit, but I echo @accalia's sentiment that the RP of the earlier games was one of the more enjoyable aspects.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Also, in general as a gamer, I've been trying to skew more RP heavy because it scratches the "I should write fiction!" itch at the same time. As @accalia said, that just isn't going to happen reliably in a forum full of irate engineers who mostly post from the bathroom at work.

As an aside, I'm considering GMing a long form, RP heavy PBP RPG. SciFi. Big explosions. Anthropomorphic psychotic teddy bears.

• @yamikuronue said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

More time. The games are pretty demanding time-wise- they're not just something to be caught up on in 20 minutes in the evening. I would love to be able to play (I was just starting to get the hang of it after the couple games I was in) but I can't commit the time/energy and I always felt like I was holding the game back by not participating as much as everyone else.

For me as a quitter from the first game, the biggest issue is the time requirement, and the second biggest issue is the tendency toward fully closed setups here, which makes it basically impossible for me to know what roles might exist with any reasonable amount of time investment -- having to read dozens upon dozens of roles on wiki.MS just compounds the time pressure.

If games were consistently semi-open (there are 0 or more of the following roles in this game: some list of less than 10 roles), that would help a lot from my perspective. Not sure that would be enough to solve the nastiness or the general presumption that if you're only posting in a small time window in the evening you're being deliberately quiet because you're scum.

Also, day-ends being in "my prime time" (e.g. 8 or 9pm Eastern) would make it a lot easier for me. But, with an international forum, someone's going to wind up on the short end of day ending time no matter what you do - midnight CET is 6pm US EDT is 3pm US PDT, is 8am Aussie time, so someone's either on the way to work or in bed or at work at that point. Kind of the reverse Jimmy Buffet problem...

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@weng said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

Also, in general as a gamer, I've been trying to skew more RP heavy because it scratches the "I should write fiction!" itch at the same time. As @accalia said, that just isn't going to happen reliably in a forum full of irate engineers who mostly post from the bathroom at work.

Well, that's makes three (prolly more like 5 since I can think of a couple other people likely to be included) with RP at the top of the list. Maybe not exclude the nasty players but instead make designated RP-heavy ones? (although I still have the time problems, so I don't know that it would help me.)

As an aside, I'm considering GMing a long form, RP heavy PBP RPG. SciFi. Big explosions. Anthropomorphic psychotic teddy bearskoalas.

Schlock Mercenary PBP RPG?

• SockDev

@dreikin said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

RP at the top of the list

🤚🏼

• mod

Also the players here seem to have a limited ability to compartmentalize the games, even though games are supposed to be isolated prior games kept coming back to plague players in future games. Once someone played brilliantly as scum they seemed to be forever branded with that suspicion.

This is one of my biggest complaints. Early on, I vocally opposed arguments based on games. Unfortunately, I was not in the majority, and I lost those debates. Over time, I even got drawn into it some, because it's hard to resist when the practice is so pervasive, but I at least tried to limit myself to using prior games as more of a back story type thing, but there are people who regularly used it to support arguments.

Even worse though is people bringing in stuff that is ongoing in the rest of the forum. There was an incident in the last game I played where a player was inactive for a while, at a time that made them look scummy. Most of their attempts to recover amounted to admitting that they forgot that this is an international forum, but some of the excuses provided were based on things said in the status thread. There have been times where conversations from outside the game have been brought into the game thread, as well.

Not only that, but my current job is a barrier to playing. We have an open office plan, there aren't even cubicles!

• This post is deleted!

• SockDev

@abarker said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

Even worse though is people bringing in stuff that is ongoing in the rest of the forum. There was an incident in the last game I played where a player was inactive for a while, at a time that made them look scummy. Most of their attempts to recover amounted to admitting that they forgot that this is an international forum, but some of the excuses provided were based on things said in the status thread.

On reflection, that was extremely unfair of me, and I apologise.

@abarker said in What would revive TDWTF Mafia?:

there are people who regularly used it to support arguments.

I'm not sure how you're ever supposed to play the game without "You're acting weird to me, from what I know of you in general" factoring in. For one, it's almost impossible to shut that off. For two, it means you have very little to go on in the early game.

That said, the degree to which it's employed here is ridiculous. It feels like you can't ever experiment or try new things without being immediately lynched for it.

Here's what it would take for me: I want people who want to play games together, not just right this minute, but for the long haul. I want people who aren't willing to trash their ability to play together in future games for a win right this minute. I want people who are serious about the game, not just trolling. And I want people who are smart enough to reject obvious scum tactics.

For that last point, I've tried to help with compiling lists in the past but it hasn't seemed to help. I thought maybe Secret Hitler would be different enough, but it was the same shit over again: loud assholes screaming about how I was obviously scum and everyone believing them. I've got a serious limit on how much of that shit I can put up with.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.