Android phones might crash when calling 911

• Java Dev

It's difficult to tell what Apple are up to at the moment. Steve Jobs certainly is to thank for the success of the company and it's hard to tell what they'll do without him. They do have a very strong brand, but even that wont be able to carry them for infinity alone. And they are making some weird decisions and flat out mistakes right now which I am unsure where it will put them. They're certainly taking risks and being bold in some regards, just without any payoff.

The dustbin Mac Pro was a mistake. Bold, yes, but the multi-GPU rendering they were hoping would become a thing didn't happen, and the design was completely built around that. And for its successor they seem to have a flawed sense of logic, although I don't have access to their market data to verify my theory.

"Hey, plenty media companies are replacing their old tower Mac Pros with iMacs. Obviously that means they prefer the iMac form factor, and not that the new Mac Pro sucks. Hmm... I know, let's combine it into the iMac Pro! Brillant!"

Now, I may be wrong and the iMac Pro will become a success in the professional market. But right now their "lower end" products are stagnating and they seem to focus more and more on the higher end. Both good and bad, as it's part of the current Apple experience they they got the best components in their computers, but that this exclusvity is a bit, well exclusive and I feel they'd be helped by introducing cheaper options. They don't have to go so far as to bring back the plastic MacBook and iMac, but maybe consider options with i3 and slower flash storage. Atm their focus seems to be banking on VR becoming a success and making their computers VR-ready, but I think VR still is too expensive for mainstream appeal. And I am unsure about its appeal to Apple customers. Besides, need beefy graphics hardware for the best VR experience, which is something Apple don't have right now.

Now, if I'd be responsible for the Mac lineup I'd do some changes. First of all, I'd swap the names of the MacBook and MacBook Air to better fit their respective products where MacBook is reintroduced as the entry-level option and MacBook Air as the extra lightweight option. MacBook Pro can be kept as-is. Also, scrap charging through the TB ports and bring back MagSafe across the entire line. Also, get a couple USB-A ports back on them.

For their desktop offerings I'd give the Mac mini some love and give it a meaningful update with new CPUs and options for better GPU. Also, more entry-level friendly. The iMac I think is mostly good. Just needs some polish. The Mac Pro I'd bring back as a user-configurable tower model. I'd also consider making a home user tower model, although not call it the Mac Pro. Maybe bring back the Performa.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@atazhaia said in Android phones might crash when calling 911:

Also, get a couple USB-A ports back on them.

I'd agree with you for the non-Air models. (There's much less of a problem with having connector restrictions when you're explicitly doing super-slimline as that model's key feature.)