• Impossible Mission Players - A

@jaloopa said in Changing mobile:

@tsaukpaetra said in Changing mobile:

the email app only shows Cougars with email addresses

no women your own age?

I think it's time D tofor to to bed...

• @tsaukpaetra said in Changing mobile:

@remi said in Changing mobile:

@tsaukpaetra I guess it could be, depending on how you interact with people. Call me old-fashioned, but for me an email is a different medium than even a text message, so it never really bothered me not to be able to link both. As long as my phone knows phone numbers and my mailer knows emails, I've never felt the need for the two address books to be the same.

Yeah, what's annoying is that even though the contacts are indeed one book, the phone apps for example only show those with numbers, and the email app only shows Cougars with email addresses.

The NSFW thread is undefined 😉

It can be confusing if I don't know relatively which contact methods I've stored for a given person, unless I start at the beginning with the Contacts App.

That is actually something where having all contacts together in one app helps. Some people I always interact with through one medium only (friends far away that I'll never call but email, older relatives that I may call but haven't got any email) and those would be OK with 2 address books (I'll never think of searching for my old email-less uncle in the mail app).

But then there is the in-between of infrequently used contacts where I may not know what contact I have for (some distant friend, did we exchange a few emails or was it texts?). While it might be confusing to not find them when using one app (the mail app could say "you have this contact but only with a phone number, do you want to send an SMS instead?"), at least with a single address book there is one app (contacts) where both information can be searched. With two separate address books, you have to repeat the search. Although in practice I'm likely to think "oh I must have his email" so start typing an email and only when I don't find it, search again elsewhere, so I'll end up doing 2 searches anyway...

• area_deu

no women your own age?

Yes. Yes it is.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@akko said in Changing mobile:

no women your own age?

Yes. Yes it is.

Awakening routines engaged! I feel a bit better, but not by much...

• @remi said in Changing mobile:

But as far as I know, this still doesn't solve the issue for text messages?

I don't know what you're doing that you need to retain text messages. But whatever that is, you're doing it wrong.

• @codnghorror said in Changing mobile:

I don't know what you're doing that you need to retain text messages. But whatever that is, you're doing it wrong.

Sexting 🐠

• SockDev

@codnghorror said in Changing mobile:

But as far as I know, this still doesn't solve the issue for text messages?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

HE WAKENS!

0_1500496529147_8f0a4bb3-e2e2-4a11-8493-c2fc05c3005e-image.png

• area_deu

@akko said in Changing mobile:

no women your own age?

Yes. Yes it is.

Awakening routines engaged! I feel a bit better, but not by much...

You write a lot better though 😉

• Since it's been some time now, time for a post-mortem!

Overall, the switchover was about as painful as I feared it might be. Good job, phone/apps/OS manufacturers!

• I started with Helium to do a full backup of the old phone. That was essentially a non-starter, I never managed to connect the phone to my PC. No amount of additional drivers on the PC changed it. OK, so much for a single application to transfer everything, in any case I wasn't really hoping that it could switch from Android 4 to 7 so easily.
    • Contacts: I went to check that they were on my Google account. Turns out, they were not (for some reason when I first set up the old phone I told it to store contacts on the phone itself). Nevermind, I'll copy them to Google. Well, either I'm stupid, or this option actually doesn't exist. No copy to Google, all I can do is export them to a file. OK, could be worse, export, import.
    • Text messages: SMS Backup & Restore did work exactly as advertised! That sounds like a miracle, it's about the only part that did work.
    • Apps: apparently the list of installed apps is backed up in Google, which I didn't know, but that means they got re-installed automatically when I connected the new phone. Cool! Except for 2 things: 1) why do they not back up the apps data as well? and more importantly in my case 2) why did it start downloading all stuff on my mobile connection even though I connected it to wifi first, and blew up my data allowance for the month while doing so (since I was in a 4G-covered area, in the time it took me to hurriedly search how to either stop the downloads, stop the connection or at least put a cap on it, my operator had already sent me a text message saying that I would be paying an arm and a leg in extra fees this month...). Well, at least I did not have to reinstall the apps manually, just to redo all settings.
    • Data (including apps?): the new phone has a nifty app that is supposed to transfer files (and I assume maybe also some apps?). Again, cool! Except that the app refused to initiate any transfer, even of a file of a few KB, by saying that it needed at least 200 MB (on the old phone). Of course, all that after I did a bit of cleanup and had about 500 MB available. So... no automatic transfer either, I guess.
    • Pictures: since the automatic copy failed, I tried copying them from the PC where I had backed them up. The copy works, but somehow on the new phone there is always some part in the middle of the folder where the pictures become corrupted and the phone doesn't recognize them any more. Not always the same place, sometimes copying batches of 10-20 pictures did work for a time, sometimes not. I even tried turning off the phone and copying pictures directly to the SD card (in case some kind of live-scanning of the folder messed up things), nope, doesn't work. The pics themselves are OK (when looked at on my PC), and when I copy a few ones one-by-one they always turn out OK, it's only when I start mass-pushing them that something breaks. undefined ??? (at this point, the only rational explanation I could see would be that the SD card itself is broken, but I had it in another device before and it was perfectly working, so...)

In the end, I got my apps, but each one had to be re-parameterized. I have my contacts and texts, that's the most important bits. I don't have my pictures (including the ones used for contacts), that's annoying. And I have lost a few evenings battling with all that.

The only good thing is, when I change phone again in a few years, it's going to be difficult for it to be worse.

why do they not back up the apps data as well?

This is one thing that's bugged me about Android. The functionality for app data to migrate is there (if you look in Settings, Backup and Restore, there's an option for it) but developers apparently don't bother to use it.

Then there's apps that do migrate the data, but do it differently. My workout app syncs to Google Drive. Fine, whatever, that works. My podcast app will let me export the subscriptions and settings and restore them in a new instance. Also works but it's manual. Then there's just ones that use their own cloud thing which is fine, provided I don't have to futz around too much to get it to work.

And then there's apps that don't let you migrate data at all, in any way, because that would be convenient. No backing up to your Google Account. No cloud syncing tied to your account you have with them. No saving to Google Drive or what have you. I mean, who on earth would want their data to move between devices when they get a new one...

As a side note, one thing that I found excellent when I got my Galaxy S7 was that Samsung Smartswitch did a largely excellent job of moving apps over - most of the data came across and it even moved apps I had installed by downloading APKs and installing manually. Should I move to an S8 come phone replacement time, I imagine it'll be even smoother considering that it would be Samsung to Samsung instead of Motorola to Samsung.

• @douglasac said in Changing mobile:

This is one thing that's bugged me about Android. The functionality for app data to migrate is there (if you look in Settings, Backup and Restore, there's an option for it) but developers apparently don't bother to use it.

What really bothers me is that copying data from an app is anything more than just copying a folder.

OK, add maybe one config file (registry entries or whatever), but since each app is its own thing, and has to explicitly request permission for every interaction with another app, they should already be each in their own little space. So just copy that from old_phone\C:\Progra~1\ to new_phone\C:\Progra~1\ (any way I could make these pseudo-path more cringe-inducing? 😉 ) and be done with it!

• @remi But who would want to do that? Moving data easily between devices. What a nonsense notion!

• @douglasac I am starting to see the truth in @blakeyrat oft repeated claim that user-interactions with computers is only going backwards... 😞

why did it start downloading all stuff on my mobile connection even though I connected it to wifi first, and blew up my data allowance for the month while doing so

I'll add this to my list of reasons that I set up new phones on wifi first before inserting the SIM card and before activating the data plan.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@douglasac said in Changing mobile:

What really bothers me is that copying data from an app is anything more than just copying a folder.

OK, add maybe one config file (registry entries or whatever), but since each app is its own thing, and has to explicitly request permission for every interaction with another app, they should already be each in their own little space. So just copy that from old_phone\C:\Progra~1\ to new_phone\C:\Progra~1\ (any way I could make these pseudo-path more cringe-inducing? 😉 ) and be done with it!

Well yea, that's exactly what they are. Problem is, the only things that have access to that folder are the app itself and root. And unless you have root access, you can't copy from it.

As a side note, one thing that I found excellent when I got my Galaxy S7 was that Samsung Smartswitch did a largely excellent job of moving apps over - most of the data came across and it even moved apps I had installed by downloading APKs and installing manually. Should I move to an S8 come phone replacement time, I imagine it'll be even smoother considering that it would be Samsung to Samsung instead of Motorola to Samsung.

Yeah, despite the hate that Samsung seems to get around here, the Samsung Smartswitch thing has worked nicely for me as well. Samsung to Samsung seems to retain pretty much everything (including old texts, IIRC). You can do it over an USB coord connecting the two phones directly to each other, which is nice because it doesn't take ages and doesn't upload everything to them clouds.

• @sloosecannon said in Changing mobile:

Well yea, that's exactly what they are. Problem is, the only things that have access to that folder are the app itself and root. And unless you have root access, you can't copy from it.

If that is so, why isn't there an easy option to export an app (the full folder with everything in it) to a single file, and then import it back? I understand that for security reasons you don't want any app to be able to read the folder, and even not to read directly from the memory card (in case the phone is stolen or similar), but once the phone is unlocked the OS has full access and could easily save everything to some kind of password-protected archive, or restore it.

Why do we need tons of different applications, none of which actually works (in my recent experience) to achieve something as simple as copying a directory ??? !!! ???

why do they not back up the apps data as well?

IIRC, there's two reasons I can think of: up until Android N you had to write a bunch of support for it in your app, and your application is only allowed ~25 KB of space on the server.

• @cvi said in Changing mobile:

You can do it over an USB coord connecting the two phones directly to each other, which is nice because it doesn't take ages and doesn't upload everything to them clouds.

I did it via the cord with my Motorola. Nice that they included the USB jigger in the box so that you can just use a standard cable, and then use the jigger afterwards as a USB OTG adapter should the mood strike.

@parody said in Changing mobile:

and your application is only allowed ~25 KB of space on the server.

Well there's the problem. You need at least 640KB.

• Impossible Mission - B

@douglasac said in Changing mobile:

Well there's the problem. You need at leastmost 640KB.

FTFY. That should be enough for anyone.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.