Which AV is not :doing_it_wrong:?

• Dupa

I've been using Norton 360 (I guess it's called Norton Internet Security again) for the past 2-3 years. I really like it, apart from handling files it deems "potential threats" -- basically, it removes them, I need to catch that window where it tells me so, click a button, wait for a long time, click through the windows, wait for a long time, finally restore it and add as an exception.

Apart from that, it's working as designed and I like it. Still, I heard "that's my problem", why is that? Which AV sucks the least, why does it suck the least?

• BitDefender.

Isn't all up in your face, decent threat capturing, doesn't suck all your system resources.

• Dupa

@Arantor said in Which AV is not :doing_it_wrong:?:

BitDefender.

Isn't all up in your face, decent threat capturing, doesn't suck all your system resources.

It's cheap and I remember using it and really liking it, too. Just had a huge problem with Windows 8 on my laptop, it would make it awake from sleep mode and it would never go back to sleep again. I guess it was like 2 years ago, though.

But, how is it better than Norton?

• @kt_ I would read the av-test results, as it's hard do find out if your AV is any good without being exposed to malware. They measure the performance too IIRC.

• Dupa

@wharrgarbl I actually checked it before:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/

Norton is at the top, along with Bitdefender, F-Secure, Trend Micro and something called Quick Clean or something. Oh, and Kaspersky, but I don't trust Russians.

• I've heard Windows Defender is pretty good. MBAM is also highly recommended but I've never used the paid version, only an occasional scan with the free version.

• We switched to Kaspersky @ work a few months ago and it's a huge PITA. Sometimes it runs jobs (inventory I believe) that sucks up over 50% of my CPU. Other times it decides it wants to block shit like for example python from being able to write zip or xml files. There's no way to white list it, you have to run some kind of job to do the inventory and then it will decide that python (which I've had installed for probably over a year now) is safe.

• Impossible Mission - B

@dangeRuss Argh, yeah, we had Kaspersky at a previous job.

Sometimes, for no reason whatsoever, it would arbitrarily decide that the build I had just completed was malware and delete it as I tried to run it.

:kill_it_with_fire.png:

• :belt_onion:

@masonwheeler said in Which AV is not :doing_it_wrong:?:

@dangeRuss Argh, yeah, we had Kaspersky at a previous job.

Sometimes, for no reason whatsoever, it would arbitrarily decide that the build I had just completed was malware and delete it as I tried to run it.

:kill_it_with_fire.png:

Over the last 9-10 years I've used Bit Defender, AVG and currently Kasperksy. I would say they all suck more or less equally, so I usually just go for which one is cheapest.

At home I don't really need a heavy-handed watchdog, so typically the first thing I do is dig through all the settings and disable or whitelist anything that I think might cause problems, and I really haven't had any trouble other than the continual dumbing-down of the UI in each new version, making it harder to find the settings I need. But that's pretty much standard practice with all software now.

• @masonwheeler said in Which AV is not :doing_it_wrong:?:

Had it with some antivirus at work, but with no warning, and I scratching my head trying to find out why there was no executable there if the compiler said it was a success.

• :belt_onion:

@LB_ said in Which AV is not :doing_it_wrong:?:

I've heard Windows Defender is pretty good. MBAM is also highly recommended but I've never used the paid version, only an occasional scan with the free version.

I use MBAM on things under heavy threat. Defender for everything else.

• FoxDev

@kt_ said Which AV is not :doing_it_wrong:?

This one

0_1498262568184_f42f4a49-3e73-4dc4-b1d3-5106cbf7c315-image.png

• If I'm ever suspicious of a file, I just upload it to VirusTotal. In fact, Process Explorer from SysInternals does that for me automatically.

• I have used Norton 360 on home computers, and it was very 💩, albeit the culprit might have been the Parental Control feature. Randomly blocking Internet access in a way that makes the browser loading spinner spin forever. And sometimes it did this:
    0_1498638592585_Runtime error.jpg

And I hated those big-ass colourful popups saying I should renew the subscription, that started every year at least two weeks before the expiration date.