The iOS Provisioning Profile + .p12 + .cer rabbit hole...

• 🚽 Regular

I've been tasked with getting an ad-hoc .ipa build of a mobile app in development. Seeing that we have VSTS already set up, I decided to see how well I can do with its Macincloud agents to make a build without having me to spend $2,000 on what would amount to be used only to build a fucking iOS app and nothing else.

I've done this many years in the past, and I remember the pain points: Getting a provisioning profile (and if it's ad-hoc collecting the udids to install on), creating a certificate signing request and generating a certificate, which then gets compiled to a .p12 file and all... great stuff. Fantastic. Android managed to make this work in a few steps, but Apple's special.

So, basically, the idea is this:

You create a Build Definition in VSTS with your steps. In my case, it's a Cordova app, so I add a Cordova Build step, which will connect to a VSTS agent in macincloud to perform the build and generate an ipa for me. You just need to upload the .p12 and .mobileprovision file to the VSTS agent, and it will do the rest. Pretty cool, eh?

Each time I've tried to make a build, I get hit with different errors which I've been able to get past, but I can't seem to get past this one:

No signing certificate "iOS Development" found: No "iOS Development" signing certificate matching team ID "[id]" with a private key was found.

:wtf: Err... I uploaded the .p12 with the correct password. The p12 is a combo private key and distribution certificate that's mapped to the mobile provisioning file that I also uploaded to you. Also, why are you looking for "iOS Development?" All the docs I've read show that the signIdentity should be called "iPhone Developer" which I have set up in the build.json, as the docs have shown. I mean, part of the problem is it seems Apple changes their mind on how to configure this shit on a yearly basis. It used to be you had iPhone Distribution for an ad-hoc build, and before that I think it was something else entirely, so you have to be careful as to how old the blog articles you're reading are.

Does anyone who has done iOS builds know what to look for here? I'm just spinning my wheels trying different things like uploading just the certificate to the agent, rather than the p12, or tweaking the build settings... I know it has to be some minor detail I'm missing, but I don't know what that detail could be.

• @The_Quiet_One I've never used maincloud, but my local iOS development had issues with provisioning profiles before. They're...special. Sorry I can't be more help.