Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@kt_ said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

That's something I really hated in that episode of Silicon Valley where the guy broke up with his girlfriend cause she used spaces instead of tabs. They had this long sequence of her pressing the space bar herself. I mean, that would be stupid, no one does that and they really went to far there. Couldn't they just do this scene as like a merge trouble or something?

Breaking up is one of the more sensible options if they're having “merge” problems. 🔕 :giggity:

• Banned

@ben_lubar said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

@Gąska said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

@Polygeekery the great thing about Sublime Text 2 isn't that it lets you pick - it's that it automatically sets your indentation settings to whatever the file you opened has.

The great thing about proper IDEs like Visual Studio is all these small features that you take for granted and don't even think about when using it, up until you're forced to use a primitive tool like Atom or Vim and suddenly file-type-dependent formatting or finding all subclasses seems like real luxury.

What on Earth are you talking about?

Visual Studio has fucked up more indentation than any other program I have ever written code in.

Yes, defaults suck. But my point is something else - you said Sublime is awesome for having different style for each file type, while for me it's bare minimum functionality to consider the editor usable at all. Like syntax highlighting.

• @ben_lubar you should maybe try PSPad.

From the malware bundling installer to "by default pressing tab inserts 8 actual spaces but if you go to the menu, you can find the option labelled 'Use Real Tabs'" to the fact you can click on a line after the line's content and the editor will just add spaces to the end of the line until it reaches your cursor.

• @Weng said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

Point of order: Visual Studio subbing spaces for tabs is the most annoying thing in the universe, and results in my hitting Ctrl-K-D every single file in a code review because some fuckwit clicked where he wanted his code to go and was off by a space, and never fixed it.

We have a bunch of files like that. If I'm fixing something nearby, I'll fix it. It's also why I turn on view-whitespace.

• @ben_lubar said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

Look at all the files with random tabs in the middle of spaces or random spaces in the middle of tabs. That entire project was made in Visual Studio.

That's not the tool's fault. Well, it is if the tool we're considering is organic.

• @Gąska said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

@Polygeekery the great thing about Sublime Text 2 isn't that it lets you pick - it's that it automatically sets your indentation settings to whatever the file you opened has.

The great thing about proper IDEs like Visual Studio is all these small features that you take for granted and don't even think about when using it, up until you're forced to use a primitive tool like Atom or Vim and suddenly file-type-dependent formatting or finding all subclasses seems like real luxury.

VIM (not sure about Atom, haven't used it in years) has all of that available via plugins. I understand the hate against VIM, but at least be on point about it.

• @Weng said in Statistics show spaces pay better than tabs:

Point of order: Visual Studio subbing spaces for tabs is the most annoying thing in the universe, and results in my hitting Ctrl-K-D every single file in a code review because some fuckwit clicked where he wanted his code to go and was off by a space, and never fixed it.

How is that VS fault and not the idiot who clicked in the wrong space? Further, how would this be different if tabs were used instead?

People who indent by physically pressing the spacebar n times need to be shot. Everyone uses the fucking tab key.
    Why the fuck not let it emit the fucking tab character already?

How many spaces are in /t ?