NetAlert: Australia's Internet safety advisory body



  • http://www.netalert.com.au 

    I realise most disclaimer pages are a cut'n'paste job, but even with my anti-WTF goggles on, I just couldn't go past this (my emphasis)

    http://www.netalert.net.au/03440-About-NetAlert.asp

    NetAlert is a not-for-profit community organisation established in late
    1999 by the Australian government to provide independent advice and
    education
    on managing access to online content.

    ...

    NetAlert's role includes:

    • providing users with sensible, helpful and reliable advice and information about potential problems, dangers and threats present on the Internet and ways in which users can act to minimise or avoid these problems

    http://www.netalert.net.au/03002-Disclaimer.asp

    NetAlert Limited (NetAlert) provides information on its website "netalert.net.au" in good faith.  The services provided on this web site are provided "as is" and without warranty.  

    NetAlert does not guarantee or make any claims about the quality, accuracy, suitability or completeness of the site.  Users should not rely on opinions expressed throughout the site to make any decisions. 

     

    Disclaimer:

    I haven't taken my meds, I need sleep and I'm on the verge of a breakdown, so it may just be that I'm reading it all wrong.

    I reckon the entire site is a WTF.

    All this of course if MHO.

     

    Flame away! 

     



  • I don't see the WTF here, but that may just be me.  They're saying "we're trying to give you good advice, but don't sue us if you follow it slavishly and something bad still happens."  That's pretty normal.  I even see that sort of thing in cookbooks.  "We've tested all of these recipies in our test kitchens, but mistakes happen."



  • @poochner said:

    I don't see the WTF here, but that may just be me.  They're saying "we're trying to give you good advice, but don't sue us if you follow it slavishly and something bad still happens."  That's pretty normal.  I even see that sort of thing in cookbooks.  "We've tested all of these recipies in our test kitchens, but mistakes happen."

    I understand this statement for what it is, but it seems more like a social WTF.  Think about it, They are basically saying this, "We are providing reliable information, but we might be wrong."  If they simply had their last sentence in the disclaimer it would seem more appropriate to read "We are providing reliable information, what you do with it is your responsibility."  Since they state that they can not garruntee the accuracy of their info how can they claim to be reliable?  These two statements just seem to be mutually exclusive.



  • The "does not guarantee" line is simply a magical incantation to ward off lawsuits.



  • @fennec said:

    The "does not guarantee" line is simply a magical incantation to ward off lawsuits.

     

    Like I said I understand it, but saying you can't guarantee and say you are reliable just doesn't seem to mesh.

    It's like me saying take my pill and you will be sure to live forever, but I can't guarantee it.  We all know that is snake oil, yet we accept the claims of reliability on the site without question?  Please prove how reliable you are by guaranteeing your information, or state that you are simply reporting the information you have without claiming it is reliable.



  • @KattMan said:

    It's like me saying take my pill and you will be sure to live forever, but I can't guarantee it.

    That's why I only trust Alex Chiu's immortality rings.
     



  • @KattMan said:

    Like I said I understand it, but saying you can't guarantee and say you are reliable just doesn't seem to mesh.

    It's like me saying take my pill and you will be sure to live forever, but I can't guarantee it.  We all know that is snake oil, yet we accept the claims of reliability on the site without question?  Please prove how reliable you are by guaranteeing your information, or state that you are simply reporting the information you have without claiming it is reliable.

    I'm really having a hard time understanding the drastic increase in pedantry here lately.

    I mean, aren't you being way too literal here? I consider my vehicle (a Ford Explorer) to be very reliable. Does that mean it has never broken down? No, it doesn't. It means that the great majority of the time it starts when I want it to and gets me where I'm going.

    The emphasis you placed above indicates that the site is trying its best to provide good quality information, and that to me indicates an effort at reliability. 

    Reliability apparently means perfection to you. It doesn't to me. 



  • It's like hiring a stock broker.  They are smarter than you at what they do.  You are paying them to make you money.  But even the best stock broker can't be right every time and you could lose money.




  • Maybe Australians just aren't as exposed to legalese as Americans?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.