Time to buy this stock: (up by 32765 stars!)

• Ameritrade GoofI was on Ameritrade, checking on a stock that I owned, trying to decide if I should sell. It looks like it's getting really good. S&P has boosted its rating up to 3 stars from -32768 stars!

Nevermind the rest of them, who can't decide whether you should buy, sell, hold, avoid, whatever.

I wonder what the "Standard & Poor's Stock Report" graphic looked like back when they were -32768 stars. Not an easy graphic to draw. 

• That's up by 32771 ;)

I can't imagine why you would have bought stocks at -32768 stars, but I'd say it's time to unload them and retire.

• Obviously there was an overflow condition here.

What really happened is that the stock had been rated at 2^15+1 stars, and was then downgraded to only 3 stars. 

• @Rootbeer said:

Obviously there was an overflow condition here.

What really happened is that the stock had been rated at 2^15+1 stars, and was then downgraded to only 3 stars. 

Wouldn't it be just 2^15, because the overflow occurs between 2^15 and 2^15 - 1?

• @CageCode said:

That's up by 32771 ;)

God my math is bad. BTW, I did unload this stock and made 50% in 6 months. Of course, at my piddly investment sizes, that earned me enough to eat lunch at Taco Bell for a week. 

• @pacohope said:

Of course, at my piddly investment sizes, that earned me enough to eat lunch at Taco Bell for a week. 

I shudder to think of where you would have been eating without that investment return.