Time to buy this stock: (up by 32765 stars!)

• Ameritrade GoofI was on Ameritrade, checking on a stock that I owned, trying to decide if I should sell. It looks like it's getting really good. S&P has boosted its rating up to 3 stars from -32768 stars!

Nevermind the rest of them, who can't decide whether you should buy, sell, hold, avoid, whatever.

I wonder what the "Standard & Poor's Stock Report" graphic looked like back when they were -32768 stars. Not an easy graphic to draw. 

• That's up by 32771 😉

I can't imagine why you would have bought stocks at -32768 stars, but I'd say it's time to unload them and retire.

• Obviously there was an overflow condition here.

What really happened is that the stock had been rated at 2^15+1 stars, and was then downgraded to only 3 stars. 

• @Rootbeer said:

Obviously there was an overflow condition here.

What really happened is that the stock had been rated at 2^15+1 stars, and was then downgraded to only 3 stars. 

Wouldn't it be just 2^15, because the overflow occurs between 2^15 and 2^15 - 1?

• @CageCode said:

That's up by 32771 😉

God my math is bad. BTW, I did unload this stock and made 50% in 6 months. Of course, at my piddly investment sizes, that earned me enough to eat lunch at Taco Bell for a week. 

• @pacohope said:

Of course, at my piddly investment sizes, that earned me enough to eat lunch at Taco Bell for a week. 

I shudder to think of where you would have been eating without that investment return.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.