Damn that's a big camera

• Not much of a WTF, but it made me chuckle a bit... I've highlighted the relevant section for you...

Fuji Camera

• WTF #2: using a JPEG image for a screencap...

sigh 

• It is an "eggcellent" camera after all..

• Maybe it's an Easter offering?  Easter eggs, cracking eggshells, ...  Could be a word play?

• @acne said:

WTF #2: using a JPEG image for a screencap...

sigh 

I've always found that, while JPEG screenshots don't look as nice, they're the smallest size.

Of course, I always use PNG anyways, but I have nothing against JPEG.  

• I think you're all missing the point... maybe try reading beyond the title bar of the image...

• @cconroy said:

I think you're all missing the point... maybe try reading beyond the title bar of the image...

Glad someone spotted it... I only stuck a red outline around it after all....

And I think next time I'll do a 24-bit bitmap instead.... WTF is wrong with JPEG?

• I wonder if you can water cool and overclock it.

• @cconroy said:

I think you're all missing the point... maybe try reading beyond the title bar of the image...

Nah, I actually wanted to post that it is a "brillant" camera, for having a motherboard, and then I noticed the weird oh-so-funny wordplay in the heading and thought it was appropriate :-)

• @valerion said:

That's why I use a broad ellipse: it really stands out.

• @Carnildo said:

@valerion said:

That's why I use a broad ellipse: it really stands out.

I tend to stick with a 2-3 pixel border-width red box with a yellow background set to ~50% transparency to give it a highlight effect. Usually very effective.

• Better yet:

Print the screencap out, put it in a wooden table, take a hot pink highlighter, highlight the text, take a photo with the camera in the ad, print it, scan it in and embed it in a word document.

• @rbowes said:

@acne said:

WTF #2: using a JPEG image for a screencap...

sigh 

I've always found that, while JPEG screenshots don't look as nice, they're the smallest size.

Of course, I always use PNG anyways, but I have nothing against JPEG.  

Sizes:

PNG-32: biggest (lossless with alpha)
    PNG-24: big (lossless compression, much like TGA)
    JPG: somewhat big -- or quite small if quality isn't an issue (is usually bigger than gif/png for flat areas like in screencaps)
    GIF/PNG-8: Depending on the "noise" in the image, it's photographicness -- PNG-8 and GIF compete for smallest size. GIF is better at big flat areas. PNG is better at noise compression. Save For Web in PS supports lossy compression for GIF, sometims reducing the file ridiculously, at great cost of quality.

Exceptions exist. Compression is naturally dependent on image contents, and there's a lot of variance. There are times when PNG-24 is smaller than JPEG at decent quality, but that's very rare.

The OP's image is kind of in-between because it has flat interface elements, but also a big photo. If you go for smallest size, you should try out all formats.

• @dhromed said:

The OP's image is kind of in-between because it has flat interface elements, but also a big photo. If you go for smallest size, you should try out all formats.

But jpg has the problem that it often makes big flat areas look like crap, because of the lossy compression.

• @SuperousOxide said:

@dhromed said:

But jpg has the problem that it often makes big flat areas look like crap, because of the lossy compression.

Yes. But crap is sometimes acceptable.

• JPEG is perfectly fine with big flat areas, and compresses them really well. What JPEG has a problem with is high-frequency detail. E.g.-- text.