Rant: I can't believe I wasted four hours on this.

• (just need to blow off some steam due to my own stupidity) 

I'm writing an SNMP simulator for our test group.  I'd rather use a third party app, but the way in which things need to be simulated aren't really handled by them (i.e. up to 672 different elements being simulated on a single port, wheee!!), so I gotta code one essentially from scratch.  I'm using the Snmp4J library for all the core SNMP stuff and basic architecture.  So I'm running tests this morning to see if my engine that examines recieved messages and produces automated, custom replies (based on an XML doc) is working properly. But a problem crops up when I try to delay the default response, so that the custom response is sent out before what would be a normally generated response.  The custom response is created, sent out, and recieved by the transport mapping, but when it is supposed to be sent to the module that decodes the SNMP information, the module doesn't seem to be there, but it's there after I process the default reply.  Which doesn't make any sense since that part of the code never does anything to those modules.

Four hours of work later, and I realize I'm being a complete idiot.  I'm sending the response to the wrong port. I'm pretty much sending the custom reply right back to where the original reply came from, rather than on another port.  The mistake is obvious and glaring, which I should have noticed right off the bat, seeing as how the debug tool in Eclipse clearly showed the wrong thread trying to process the custom message.  I can't believe I just spent that much time on that.

• *scribbles on notepad*

Yes.

I see.

*nods quietly*

So how does that make you feel?

• @dhromed said:

Annoyed that I have to make the thing in the first place.

• @bonzombiekitty said:

@dhromed said:

Now... tell me about your mother.

• @Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Over. said:

@bonzombiekitty said:
    @dhromed said:

Now... tell me about your mother.

I feel we have made some good progress today... and that will be $2,000.

• @bonzombiekitty said:

(just need to blow off some steam due to my own stupidity) 

I'm writing an SNMP simulator for our test group.  I'd rather use a third party app, but the way in which things need to be simulated aren't really handled by them (i.e. up to 672 different elements being simulated on a single port, wheee!!), so I gotta code one essentially from scratch.  I'm using the Snmp4J library for all the core SNMP stuff and basic architecture.  So I'm running tests this morning to see if my engine that examines recieved messages and produces automated, custom replies (based on an XML doc) is working properly. But a problem crops up when I try to delay the default response, so that the custom response is sent out before what would be a normally generated response.  The custom response is created, sent out, and recieved by the transport mapping, but when it is supposed to be sent to the module that decodes the SNMP information, the module doesn't seem to be there, but it's there after I process the default reply.  Which doesn't make any sense since that part of the code never does anything to those modules.

Four hours of work later, and I realize I'm being a complete idiot.  I'm sending the response to the wrong port. I'm pretty much sending the custom reply right back to where the original reply came from, rather than on another port.  The mistake is obvious and glaring, which I should have noticed right off the bat, seeing as how the debug tool in Eclipse clearly showed the wrong thread trying to process the custom message.  I can't believe I just spent that much time on that.

I hear you.  I spend a lot of my time, especially when working with a new system, living in WTF Hell, running in tiny little circles.