No good deed gets unpunished

• A fresh recipe for failure:

• Get assigned a task to document setup of whatever it is you do
    • During documenting, realize that you actually needed to jumble through hoops to make the project work on your system and it is a royal pain in the ass for anyone else to replicate the system
    • Try to reconstruct the setup from scratch. Tell on the standup that documenting the project revealed weaknesses in the setup and you need to fix them, get an ok
    • Just as you're almost ready with the solution at the end of the day, find out that your system works just ok, but the tools you use need workarounds on the clients' and co-workers' systems. Spend an unpaid evening finding an acceptable workaround, finding a way to make it permanent, write a fucking script, test the fucking script, write a paragraph or two.
    • Of course this is unpaid overtime, it was your fault not finding out earlier
    • Tell on the standup why the task protracted. Everyone involved says ok, everyone seems to have understood.
    • This repeats twice, with subsequent tools backfiring at you. Figure out, future-proof, describe, tell about it on standups. Everyone seems ok.
    • After you complete the fucking task, get a call from your manager who's present on every standup, get a roasting about not being efficient, it's only documentation for the fuck's sake. Explain yourself, explain that documenting the setup uncovered flaws in the setup which needed to be fixed, and I didn't sweep it under the carpet, I talked about it on every standup and you've heard it. Ok, I think we've covered it, I understand, ok good.
    • Another sprint goes by, no task is protracted.
    • You get a call from the manager and his manager to get roasted about that problem you thought was solved a week ago, once more.

So much for trying to do a good job, I think.

• @wft said in No good deed gets unpunished:

You know what to do next time ?
    Just document the convoluted way to make it work on a machine and go home 🤷

• sekret PM club

@TimeBandit said in No good deed gets unpunished:

@wft said in No good deed gets unpunished:

You know what to do next time ?
    Just document the convoluted way to make it work on a machine and go home 🤷

Step 12.5.14a: Ensure that the top point of the pentagram you drew with the goat's blood is pointing to magnetic north. This ensures that when the ritual is complete you will have summoned helper demons instead of gremlins.

• @e4tmyl33t said in No good deed gets unpunished:

Step 12.5.14a: Ensure that the top point of the pentagram you drew with the goat's blood is pointing to magnetic north. This ensures that when the ritual is complete you will have summoned helper demons instead of gremlins.

Sheesh, you don't have to dumb it down that much. I mean, surely they've used a computer before.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@wft said in No good deed gets unpunished:

Spend an unpaid evening finding an acceptable workaround

:doing_it_wrong: