Windows Live Newsletter

• Hi all,

Today I found this in my live mail inbox:

Start an i'm conversation

An "I am conversation". That must be very interesting.

It's funny that it's still spelled wrong and I suppose a lot of people have received this e-mail.

(Where am I supposed to post WTF suggestions?) 

The original screenshot:

• The WTF is that "I'm" is supposed to have a capital I, right?

• It should read IM conversation, IM meaning Instant Messaging.

• You are supposed to read these emails? I delete them on sight.

By the way, how the hell would using their service  make the world a better place? did they upgrade from "world=USA" to "world=Microsoft"?

</joke> 

• @CapitalT said:

By the way, how the hell would using their service  make the world a better place? did they upgrade from "world=USA" to "world=Microsoft"?

</joke> 

You have to understand the Microsoft mindset - and I'm not kidding, this is seriously what people inside the Microsoft kool-aid bubble think:

@Microsoft dogma said:

Everything should be made by Microsoft, because we're better than everybody else. Therefore, it is in the best interests of everybody for our products and services to be used by everybody, and for no products or services to be made by anybody else. 

(A common corollary to this is "Whatever business you are in, Microsoft sees you as a competitor", the standard warning to everybody who is invited to "work with" them)

• Yes it's all true, and I also hear that they eat babies!

• I was told that everything Microsoft makes sucks.

If they say so, it must be true!

• Most of my conversations are "i'm conversations", me being the egotist that I am.  By the way, I'm the world's greatest programmer; did I ever tell you that?  I'm sure your story is interesting, but the President as a question for me.  Gotta run.

• @CapitalT said:

You are supposed to read these emails? I delete them on sight.

I read the e-mail below it in the list and then clicked the up button on the message page. That's how I came to read the first line.

It's a pity you can't filter those e-mails out. i'm switching to gmail anyway.

• Its clearly talking about "i'm" which is where MS donate money for using one of the emoticons that look like the word "i'm". Try "*one" in WLM.

• @rhensing said:

Hi all,

Today I found this in my live mail inbox:

Start an i'm conversation

An "I am conversation". That must be very interesting.

It's funny that it's still spelled wrong and I suppose a lot of people have received this e-mail.

(Where am I supposed to post WTF suggestions?) 

It's marketing:

http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=MSNTDLINK

"What is i’m

i’m is a new initiative from Windows Live Messenger™. Every time you start a conversation using i’m, Microsoft shares a portion of the program's advertising revenue with some of the world's most effective organizations dedicated to social causes. We've set no cap on the amount we'll donate to each organization. The sky's the limit.

So any time you have an i’m™ conversation using Windows Live Messenger, you help address the issues you feel most passionate about, including poverty, child protection, disease, and environmental degradation. It's simple. All you have to do is join and start an instant messaging conversation. We'll handle the donation."

It's not an abuse of English, it's a trademark!

• Oh my god!  We've fallen for Microsoft's marketing scheme!  WE'RE SPREADING FREE PUBLICITY!  OH NOES!  WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!  RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!