Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread

• It was a bright and clear day.
    You were still inside, though.

A curious story played out on the news - apparently a man was shot dead in his home last night - his body was found by a cleaning lady who claims to have been called in to clean that house that very night.

The news continue to give some of the victim’s details and… hey! You recognize that name! That’s @ben_lubar!

The camera then pans to the wall next to Ben’s body, revealing a phrase he has scrawled with the last of his blood: Two of us
    Could it be? He was murdered by two of you? Your fellow mods?

But wait, what’s that? It looks like Ben managed to write one more thing with the last few drops: Reactive Drop. Oh, Ben.

In real life, you are a regular citizen.

You win in real life if all threats to your life are neutralized, even if you die yourself.
    Victory in real life is more important to you than victory in the forums (as detailed in the previous rolecard), but getting both will be ideal.

You have no special abilities that would assist you in this situation.

Well, it looks like you have no choice, the culprits may strike again and you have to get them before they get you.
    You’ve taken a shining to the lynching process you used on the forums, so you decide to try it here too.

Now outright killing your fellow mods - to whom you’ve grown quite attached - seems needlessly harsh, but mayhaps if you break their legs a bit and - say - imprison then somewhere with an internet connection... Why you could continue to be best online friends even if you mislynch!

Of course, they will no longer be able to communicate with you in the real world, but you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few legs!

• Forum Mafia - Real Life

THE RULES

This is the Real Life game thread, while the thread you were accustomed to yesterday was the Forum game thread.

The following additional rules explain how the two threads will relate to each other:

1. Your first rolecard applies to the Forum thread. Your second rolecard applies to the Real Life thread.

2. Each thread will have a separate and independent day/night cycle. (Aka it can be day in one thread and night in the other.

3. Each thread will have a separate voting/lynching session during the day. The lynch target will be removed from that thread, but will still remain in the other thread. (In particular, being lynched in Real Life will not prevent you from participating in the Forum thread)

4. Each thread will have a separate night action session during the night. If you die in Real Life, you die in the Forum, but not vice-versa.

5. Your abilities in the Forum (first rolecard) can be used in the Forum; Your abilities in Real Life (second rolecard) can be used in Real Life. They can be used independently.

6. If you are lynched or night-killed in a game thread, you may no longer post in that thread or use abilities (if any) for the corresponding game.

7. Once one game thread reaches a conclusion (due to nothing in that game being able to prevent one side from winning), it will continue playing out as normal (daily lynches, nightly actions), except nights will be longer. It may continue affecting the other game and that other game may continue affecting it, but its conclusion will not change no matter what.

8. Once both threads reach a conclusion, the game proper will end.

9. If something is unclear about the rules, you may ask (in public or in private).

The other rules detailed in the Forum thread apply to this thread as well, with one exception:

1. Mafia do not have daytalk in this game.

• @Mafia-Players - the game will begin in a few moments, once you receive your updated rolecards.
    Update: the game has now begun!

Day will end in 6 days

• !list-players

• Player List

Living:

• xaade
    • Jaloopa
    • Vault_Dweller
    • abarker
    • Maciejasjmj
    • Yamikuronue
    • RaceProUK
    • djls45

Mod(s):

• CreatedToDislikeThis

• Okay. First of all, since when does @ben_lubar have a cleaning lady? That sounds sketchy already.

Second of all, what the fuck? Trolling is one thing, but fucking murder? Who the fuck does that over some internet forum?

• Anyway, first things first. Before I get offed again, at least.

I investigated @Jaloopa on the forums yesterday. He seems to be able to save people from banning, like a doctor of sorts. Seems to make him honest - at least as far as the forums go, can't say anything about this mess...

• mod

@Maciejasjmj said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

Okay. First of all, since when does @ben_lubar have a cleaning lady? That sounds sketchy already.

His "cleaning lady" is probably is mom. We all know he lives in a basement, after all.

Second of all, what the fuck? Trolling is one thing, but fucking murder? Who the fuck does that over some internet forum?

Good question. This is getting pretty intense.

• SockDev

Man… It's one thing to troll the forums, and another to hack and permaban, but murder‽ This is way too far. What happens online should remain online: taking out your frustrations IRL is not on.

• mod

Alright, I feel I should explain my self-hammering on the forum yesterday. I already sent a message to @boomzilla, but I doubt he shared it with anyone. Anyway, I noticed before self-hammering that we were back at having two people at L-4. Given what happened to me when I started to switch my vote there, I doubted anyone was going to switch votes when we got there again. That would have meant a high chance of a no-ban, leading to starting today with pretty much the same arguments. I figured sacrificing myself was the best way to provide some information to the group, and pre-empt the same divisive arguments today.

Needless to say, I didn't expect to be looking at a report about murder IRL.

As far as "investigations," I obviously had nothing on the forum, and the news report didn't even give me a clue that anything was amiss out here until this morning. I got nothing.

• mod

@RaceProUK said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

Man… It's one thing to troll the forums, and another to hack and permaban, but murder‽ This is way too far. What happens online should remain online: taking out your frustrations IRL is not on.

Hmm. I just had a thought, and I hope that I'm off base here, but is there a chance that Ben's killers aren't the trolls?

For now, I'm going to go off the assumption that the trolls and killers are the same group, at least until there is evidence to the contrary. That means that, for now, I'm trusting @Maciejasjmj. By extension, that gives tentative reason to trust @Jaloopa, as well.

• @abarker said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

That would have meant a high chance of a no-ban

And possibly some investigations during the night. How is a no-ban worse than banning someone you know full well should not be banned?

Just... don't do it again, will ya. The stake is a bit higher this time.

Either way, it seems like who people are on the forums has no relation to who they are in real life. That's a bad thing given that we need to investigate all over again, but that's also a good thing since me and @abarker have absolutely no interest not to act like honest forums participants when it comes to anything related to the troll troubles.

Like @Lorne-Kates taught us, even if you're a murderer, you can still be a good forum user.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@abarker I'm not sure it's safe to assume anything either way. This whole situation is so messed up... it seems likely that they're the same, but who knows?

@Maciejasjmj You make a good point: what if we discuss our troll troubles here, where we know some of you are honest?

• @abarker said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

Hmm. I just had a thought, and I hope that I'm off base here, but is there a chance that Ben's killers aren't the trolls?

I read the FAQ, and it seems like there's no relation. But we still "win" if we manage to fend off the trolls, regardless of our real life allegiance.

@Maciejasjmj Right, the FAQ. I'm going to RTFM while we discuss.

• mod

@abarker said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

I read the FAQ, and it seems like there's no relation. But we still "win" if we manage to fend off the trolls, regardless of our real life allegiance.

Well, ok then. Trolls on one level, murderers on another, and no guaranteed connection between the two.

Actually, that makes some sense, and it could be beneficial for saving the forum. Assuming that the trolls and killers are not the same people, the trolls can't really influence RL, but the killers could choose to influence the forum. So, if the killers are interested in saving the forum from the trolls, then they should initially be trying to target the trolls.

At least, that seems like a decent "two birds, one stone" type of strategy.

@abarker I have a question for you now that I've read the docs: Did you know we'd be having this impromptu emergency LAN party when you banned yourself? And if so, how?

the killers could choose to influence the forum

Oh, also, can you explain this reasoning please?

• mod

@Yamikuronue said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

@abarker I have a question for you now that I've read the docs: Did you know we'd be having this impromptu emergency LAN party when you banned yourself? And if so, how?

I had no clue. I was just planning on using my little hack that gave me view only access to the staff category on the forum, and just watching with a bit of popcorn. Maybe work on a personal pet project or two. Ben's death was a shock.

the killers could choose to influence the forum

Oh, also, can you explain this reasoning please?

That's pretty much direct from TFM:

@CreatedToDislikeThis said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

If you die in Real Life, you die in the Forum, but not vice-versa.

So the killers can choose to influence the forum by virtue of who they choose to target at night. If the killers get you IRL, you obviously can't keep participating in the forum.

Oddly, though:

In particular, being lynched in Real Life will not prevent you from participating in the Forum thread

At least we aren't stooping down to the same level as the killers. More of a IRL ban than a lynch, right?

@abarker Oh, I see; you're assuming the killers will continue to kill, while I assumed they'd take prisoners in much the same way we plan to.

OOC: I can't figure out how to word this IC, but it's rare to see a real distinction between a nightkill and a lynch in game terms, so i assumed they'd be the same. Maybe not, though. I've asked.

@Yamikuronue

OOC: I'm a dumbass, you quoted where it straight up says there's a difference. IGNORE ME, I'm still trying to puzzle out the rules here.

• Yeesh! @ben_lubar just could not catch a break, here, could he? Banned and killed?! That's double messed up. At least his last message before leaving this mortal coil was of what was important to him. Not many are able to do that.

We've got (presumably) two trolls on the forum who have gotten three of us banned and are trying to ban the rest of us, and we've got two killers IRL who are trying to murder us. I don't like this situation.

With these numbers, it could be that the trolls and murderers are wholly distinct persons, or they could be the same, or they could be overlapping (i.e. one mod murderer, one troll innocent, and one troll murderer).

OOC: Also,

you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few legs

It looks like someone's not above making dad jokes in even this serious situation. ( ;))

• Another thought occurs to me. In all the time I've been a mod on our forum, I've never thought to check, but does banning completely prevent the account from accessing the forum, or does it lock down everything into a read-only mode for them?
    ( @CreatedToDislikeThis?)

• @djls45 said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

Another thought occurs to me. In all the time I've been a mod on our forum, I've never thought to check, but does banning completely prevent the account from accessing the forum, or does it lock down everything into a read-only mode for them?
    ( @CreatedToDislikeThis?)

You can still view the posts. You can even try to reply to them, but since I don't know what kind of traps and exploits the trolls have set up, maybe I'll let @abarker handle that.

• OOC: @CreatedToDislikeThis maybe now that the plot twist is in place you could reassign the groups? I wouldn't want to accidentally reply to the forum thread.

• SockDev

@djls45 said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

@ben_lubar just could not catch a break, here, could he? Banned and killed?! That's double messed up.

We could be dealing with two groups with very different motivations. We know the trolls' motivation: it's as clear as day. But the motivation for murder escapes me. Unless… Unless the trolls feel that it's necessary to ensure their victory.

It's all so confusing.

• OOC: @Maciejasjmj - I'll check with the powers that be if we can do this.

• SockDev

OOC: @Maciejasjmj - I'll check with the powers that be if we can do this.

OOC: It'd be great if we can, as it'll help avoid potentially game-breaking errors.

• OOC - the powers that be have graciously created a new group for Real Life - please accept the invitation to it and I'll move this thread to the also new Real Life category.
    EDIT: moved. Let me know if you have any problem posting!
    The banned should no longer be able to post in the Forum thread, too.

• @CreatedToDislikeThis OOC: Wouldn't it be easier to do it the other way around? If someone is "banned", they can still "talk" "IRL", but if someone is "killed", they can't do either one.

• mod

@Yamikuronue

OOC: I'm a dumbass, you quoted where it straight up says there's a difference. IGNORE ME, I'm still trying to puzzle out the rules here.

No worries. It's a ... unique situation that'll take a little adjustment. Still, identifying the trolls and the killers should be our top priority. I hope that they are not the same group, as the mixed goals on the forum and IRL could lead to some slipups.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Ooc: It's kind of a hectic weekend for me, I won't be posting much...

• @Vault_Dweller said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

Ooc: It's kind of a hectic weekend for me, I won't be posting much...

OOC: All of us can see both threads, no need to post in both.

And that's unfortunate, because I think you have something to answer for with regards to your forum behavior. Both you and @Jaloopa have switched your votes from me to @abarker, two people we now know were loyal mods. Now I've managed to confirm @Jaloopa as all but loyal (and that's also why I've decided to reveal my result - we are in MyLo and he'd make a good suspect today), but you I'm not so sure about.

That makes @Yamikuronue a probable other suspect (seeing how your votes tended to equalize one wagon with the other). Given how much reluctance there was to hammer down @Yamikuronue, it's either that, or the much less likely option of both trolls being on her bandwagon early on.

That's as far as weeding out trolls go. As for Ben's murder, I'm not sure where to begin given we're starting from square one on this one.

• BINNED

Oh Jesus, murder?

I might be able to doctor people's forum accounts but I have no way of dealing with actual killers, that's messed up man

@Maciejasjmj, I'm not sure how I feel about you outing my white hat hacking on the forums. I suppose it will make me less likely to be​ banned by vote, but it's made me a bit of a target for the trolls

• @Jaloopa said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

Oh Jesus, murder?

I might be able to doctor people's forum accounts but I have no way of dealing with actual killers, that's messed up man

@Maciejasjmj, I'm not sure how I feel about you outing my white hat hacking on the forums. I suppose it will make me less likely to be​ banned by vote, but it's made me a bit of a target for the trolls

It's been kind of a rash decision, guess I was somewhat confused about still being a part of the proceedings. Perhaps it wasn't the right call.

On the other hand the forums are on a brink of disaster. And I can't talk for the others, but I know you would've been high on my list of suspects if it wasn't for that.

• @Jaloopa said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

but it's made me a bit of a target for the trolls

That being said, I don't think there is anything that would prevent you from using one of those alts yourself if push comes to shove? If you do feel threatened, you can just protect yourself, all in all we won't blame you if that prevents the kill.

• @Maciejasjmj said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

kill.

Ban, of course.

I have to duck out for a few hours today, by the way. Other responsibilities call.

OOC: I have stuff going on today actually-offline so i'll be around less

• mod

I think we need to start talking. Without additional conversation, we can't hope to identify the killers. I think that here IRL our primary focus should be finding the killers. We can expend some time discussing the trolls, but we have more serious priorities out here.

Any disagreement?

• SockDev

Any disagreement?

None. Thing is, where do we start?

• Notification Spam Recipient

I wonder how much the killers knew about our circumstances beforehand. It could give us an indication if we should search the forums for evidence...

• @Mafia-Players OOC: Due to the weekend and due to two lynches having to be decided on simultaneously, I've extended the maximum length of the days - forum was extended by 1 day and real life was extended by 2 days. (The original posts were edited to show the revised day end dates)

• @Vault_Dweller That had not occurred to me. I'm not sure that we'll find much to go on, there, but it might be worth a look.

• mod

@Vault_Dweller said in Forum Mafia - Real Life - Game Thread:

I wonder how much the killers knew about our circumstances beforehand. It could give us an indication if we should search the forums for evidence...

An intriguing idea. Do you think it would make any difference that I got a note from the system upon my banning? It told me that I needed to wait for morning. I found it kind of odd, but I didn't know what to make of it.

Of that means anything, I suspect that it's might be an indication that the killers decided to take action after the banning began. I wonder if they went after Ben for failing to keep the forum fully patched, and now their primary goal is to kill the trolls, regardless of the collateral damage. Any innocent mods who die could just be a sort of smoke screen for their true goal. Of that is the case, we may not find any clues in the forum yet.

now their primary goal is to kill the trolls

Wait... are they good guys or bad guys?

@Yamikuronue I mean, I can't advocate murder here, but, doesn't that imply our goals are the same?

• @Yamikuronue I think it sorta depends on the context. The killers may be mods, or they may be trolls, or one of each, for all we know (and as I already mentioned).

@djls45 But if -- and again, I know this is a big if, but if -- the killers are on the same side as the mods, maybe we should team up to handle the trolls first?

• mod

now their primary goal is to kill the trolls

Wait... are they good guys or bad guys?

It's just a theory. But, as I said, if their primary goal is to kill the trolls, they probably don't care about the collateral damage of killing the rest of us.

Huh, I just thought of another theory. What if the killers think that we haven't done neouugh to eliminate trolling on the forums? What if they think that trolling should not be tolerated in any degree.

Maybe this theorizing isn't useful ...

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.