Forum Mafia - Game Thread

• Forum Mafia

THE RULES

1. If by some miracle you’re able to post in this thread and aren’t a living player, do not post and report the situation to me. If you want to comment on the ongoing game or berate a player for being an idiot, PM me to apply to the official peanut gallery.
    2. Important: do not report posts in any faction/private thread. There are moderators playing, and reporting a post makes it visible to them regardless of permissions. Summon one of the site administrators instead.
    3. When in doubt, ask questions via your role card chat. I may or may not answer depending on the nature of the question, but you can be sure all communication via chat will be kept private.
    4. Each player should obtain a role card via chat. The role card contains:
      • Your flavor role, or "position". This information has no gameplay value, and you can share it freely for roleplay purposes.
      • Your factional allegiance. You’re probably better off not sharing that.
    5. You are not allowed to quote your Role PM directly, or any other private communication with me for that matter. You can paraphrase it, you can make things up about your role, you can invent a role, but you can’t post a quote from your role card. There will be a publicly visible example of every role card active in this game (Excluding the flavour only portion).
      • Flavor role part is excluded from this rule.
    6. You’re heavily encouraged to save your Role PM outside of the chat. NodeBB’s private messaging system is… not suited for long-time storage.
    7. This is a Closed Setup Game.
    8. This is a semi-normal game. The GM will not lie to you but reserves the right to give you up, let you down, run around and desert you.
    9. This is a full-reveal game. A full role PM will be revealed upon death.
    10. This is a flavour game. There’s no guarantee that commonly-known Mafia terminology will be used. Role mechanics will be explained even for ‘standard’ roles.
    11. You can quit the game at any time, either by PM or by public announcement. Abuse of this mechanism to gain advantage will have severe consequences.
    12. Do not edit, bookmark or like posts. You shouldn’t be able to, but if you manage to find a clever way to do it anyway, Club Ded will not be amused.
    13. Do not contact other players or Club Ded members outside of threads marked for this purpose, and do not discuss the game anywhere but in those threads. The Big Brother watches you.
    14. Do not encrypt, obfuscate or alter your posts, or use content which can be altered (outside-hosted images, oneboxes, etc.). Report (via your role card chat) all posts which infringe this rule.
    15. Do not post during the time between end of day lynch and receiving the lynch results. This rule applies to all threads, not just the main thread.
    16. You have to post in the main thread once every 24 hours. And no, if for some reason I don’t do an attendance count on a given day, you’re not off the hook. Don’t gamble with the GM.

GamePlay Rules

1. Mafia do have daytalk in this game, Use it wisely.
    2. Players *do *have nighttalk in this game. Use it as needed or wanted.
    3. This is a bot-assisted game.
      Use !vote <player> to register your vote.
    4. Lylo-a (Lynch or lose, assuming no power roles) and Mylo-a (Mislynch and lose, assuming no power roles) will be announced on the start of a day, if appropriate. Note that this loss is not automatic (unless nothing can prevent it) - power roles (if any) may still stave it off during the night.

• It was a dark and stormy night.
    Well, it was outside, anyway.

On nights like this you prefer to chat about this and that on a forum you frequent (and, in fact, help moderate).
    This forum is an odd beast - it started out as an(other) armpit of the internet, filled with malcontent teens and raving trolls. Over the years, as its user-base matured (some even mentally) and as the worst of the trolls were permabanned (thanks to a more active and less lenient moderation team) - it became for many just a gathering place for those who were already there. A community of sorts.
    For others, it remained a cesspit to dip into, though a relatively shallow one.

Today, however, there’s been quite a stir - a topic popped up under the system account claiming that the forum was hacked by some kind of trolls’ rights group(???) and that they will permaban a member of the moderation team every day until the forum’s admins agree to unban everyone and step down as admins themselves.

Well, it wasn’t that much of a stir - to be honest. This sort of tomfoolery was not unheard of in the old days of the forum.
    In just a few hours, however, it seems the trolls saw fit to prove they’re serious - one of the forum’s two admins, @ben_lubar, has been permabanned from the forum.

You are a relatively new administrator of the forum. You don’t really care one way or the other about the direction the forums are headed towards, you just administer it - no one else will.

You win if all the treacherous mods are permabanned, even if you’re permabanned yourself.

You have no special abilities that would assist you in this situation.

A forum regular points out that there’s an exploit in the version of DiscourseBB your forum runs on which would allow a moderator to gain complete control over the forums.
    Luckily, there’s a patch. Less luckily, the forum’s other admin, @boomzilla, will unlikely get to applying it.

After some begging, @boomzilla proposes a compromise - if you select a mod that you believe is working with these trolls, he will permaban them. (though you shouldn’t bother him more than once a day).
    If all these traitors are expelled, the hack will stop and you’ll win.

• @Mafia-Players - the game has begun!
    Day 1 will end in 4 real days

• !list-players

• Player List

Living:

• xaade
    • Maciejasjmj
    • Yamikuronue
    • djls45
    • Jaloopa
    • RaceProUK
    • abarker
    • Vault_Dweller

Mod(s):

• CreatedToDislikeThis

• mod

Well, it's going to make getting updates more difficult now that Ben's gone. Getting boomzilla to do any work takes some doing. You practically have to threaten him with kids on his lawn.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Seriously. He doesn't even show up in chat for me to yell at. What a nightmare.

Alright, first order of business: we cannot let the regulars know about this. There's no way they won't panic if they found out we've got a problem like this on our hands. Agreed?

Second order of business: who can we trust? We can't trust unless we're absolutely sure. Once we figure out who's who, we can always unban the good guys, right? So better to be safe than sorry.

• @Yamikuronue said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

Alright, first order of business: we cannot let the regulars know about this. There's no way they won't panic if they found out we've got a problem like this on our hands. Agreed?

Agreed, it's our toxic cesspool we need to deal with.

To be fair, we've kind of been asking for it with - what - eight moderators? For such a small forum? Seems like @PJH needs to lay off the casting couch for a bit...

Either way, we will not let this... incident stand in the way of civilized discourse.

@Yamikuronue said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

Second order of business: who can we trust? We can't trust unless we're absolutely sure. Once we figure out who's who, we can always unban the good guys, right? So better to be safe than sorry.

I don't think the creators of this forum software have actually facilitated unbanning... And honestly, why would they need to? Once a troll, always a troll, like my granny said.

Once we figure out who's who, we can always unban the good guys, right? So better to be safe than sorry.

That seems to be the best way to go about it. Unfortunately, I think that any unfortunates banned will have to be kept out until we've excised the trolls.

@djls45 Definitely. We can't risk them being seduced to the wrong side.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Good choice by the trolls, choosing the one admin that actually does, or should I say did, something

• mod

We can mourn Ben later. If we're lucky, we can even unban him. But let's get started figuring out who's trying to blackmail us.

@Vault_Dweller Good choice nothing -- if they infiltrated our group, they could have been planning this for months, watching how we operate, waiting for their chance to take over. I certainly haven't noticed an unusual influx of new mods, have you? That'd make this too easy.

• BINNED

If any of us ever did any work we'd have some history to look back on. As it is, we're going to have to act like we don't know each other at all and try to get these trolls banned

• SockDev

Typical. I have a weekend away, and return to absolute chaos.

Oh well. TBH, I'm just miffed we actually have to do… work.

So, how are we gonna sort this out then? I'm struggling to think of a useful method.

@abarker said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

If we're lucky, we can even unban him. But let's get started figuring out who's trying to blackmail us.

I think we must start by ensuring everyone is present. @xaade you there?

Nothing to say for yourself? Are you, perhaps, distracted? Maybe talking to someone else on another forum?

• @Yamikuronue

Between taking a shit and calculating how many seats are sold in the Chicago Airport daily by United Airlines, I did a little bit of work for my job.

• mod

@Jaloopa said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

If any of us ever did any work we'd have some history to look back on. As it is, we're going to have to act like we don't know each other at all and try to get these trolls banned

Oh sure, bring that up, why don't you! It's bad enough we have to work now, but to realize that if we'd been working before we might have a leg up on the situation. /groan/

We're getting side tracked again. Let's focus a bit, shall we? Anybody have a suggestion on where we start? Maybe throw out some :fire: :fishing_pole_and_fish: and see who reacts?

• mod

@Vault_Dweller I'd be willing to give it a shot, but I doubt it will work. I mean, I get the impression, based on what they are asking for, that these guys are extremely subtle trolls. They are likely masters of the craft, and would not easily be baited, especially when they know it is coming.

• BINNED

@Vault_Dweller i doubt the trolls will fall for that. They're in this for the long game, they won't be distracted by a low effort Trump post

• @Vault_Dweller said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

Maybe throw out some and see who reacts?

low effort Trump post

Ok, I'll try then.

not easily be baited,

Your mom was easily baited.

• mod

• mod

@abarker That really doesn't look like a "tired_face"

• @abarker

I thought it was you, crying, until I hovered on it.

Then I wondered why you'd type "tired" if you were crying.

• @abarker said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

They are likely masters of the craft

, they won't be distracted

@xaade :tired_face:

Hmm.....

• @abarker Yeah, that looks more like an expression of pain.
    This -- :sleeping: -- is a tired face.

• Well, @abarker didn't even flinch at an insult against their mother.

I don't know if I could do that. Maybe he's desensitized by all of the extreme trolling lately. Maybe he's a master of the craft.

:raised_eyebrow:

• mod

@djls45 I was going for a yawn, to indicate that @xaade's attempt to bait me wasn't working.

@xaade said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

I don't know if I could do that. Maybe he's desensitized by all of the extreme trolling lately. Maybe he's a master of the craft.

Maybe I'm estranged from my mother, maybe I don't know my mother, maybe I knew that it was a barb only intended to gauge my reaction, ...

There are dozens of scenarios that could explain my response, most of them have no bearing on the situation at hand. If you are truly going to try baiting the trolls into a response, then you need to try a subject where it would be easier to determine why someone responded in a certain way.

• @Vault_Dweller said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

Maybe throw out some :fire: :fishing_pole_and_fish: and see who reacts?

That sounds like a tactic a troll would use... Should we really stoop so low as to use this kind of dishonorable means to weed out the trolls? What about the civilized discourse? What about the rainbows and unicorns?

You want to get banhammered? Because that's how you get banhammered. Perhaps we should anonymize your account too, as an example?

• mod

@Maciejasjmj said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

@Vault_Dweller said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

Maybe throw out some :fire: :fishing_pole_and_fish: and see who reacts?

That sounds like a tactic a troll would use... Should we really stoop so low as to use this kind of dishonorable means to weed out the trolls? What about the civilized discourse? What about the rainbows and unicorns?

You want to get banhammered? Because that's how you get banhammered. Perhaps we should anonymize your account too, as an example?

You're starting to sound like :doing_it_wrong:. I mean, there's keeping the trolls under control, and then there's creating a dictatorial forum. I thought we were trying for the former.

• I'm interested in our motivations, and what assumptions we seem to have made so far.

@Yamikuronue, why do you suppose that we could unban the "good guys" once we get rid of the trolls? Is it just a ruse to make us more agreeable to banning the honest mods?

@Maciejasjmj, why are you so antagonistic towards trolls/trolling? Isn't the intent of this forum to partake in some trolling behavior (thus making us all at least a little bit trollish)?

The others can answer these as well. We might see whether someone slips up somewhere.

• @Maciejasjmj said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

Why are you threatening me?

• @djls45 said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

@Maciejasjmj, why are you so antagonistic towards trolls/trolling? Isn't the intent of this forum to partake in some trolling behavior (thus making us all at least a little bit trollish)?

We let the trolls run loose and where did it get us? They managed to permaban an administrator. That shouldn't even be possible if not for DiscourseBB's schema being so insane that nobody knows how to remove the ban.

So excuse me for doubling down on trolls, but if we keep feeding them, they'll just grow. I was once naive like you, thinking it's possible to have a self-moderating community where there's no need for the mods to be hands on. But the situation we're in proves this kind of thinking is wrong and does nothing but harm. The members need a strong hand over them to guide them, and we are that hand.

Why are you threatening me?

Because your response was definitely uncivilized.

The purpose of which was to test an idea.

Where are your ideas?

• @xaade said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

The purpose of which was to test an idea.

Where are your ideas?

What was yours? No troll worth its salt would get baited by such a pathetic attempt, meanwhile you could very well piss off honest users since a shitpost is a shitpost even when done for the right cause.

Keep behaving like a troll, and you'll be treated like a troll. And if you're not, then maybe it would be wise to stop wasting the limited amount of @boomzilla's time trying to get banned. That's my idea.

@djls45 said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

why do you suppose that we could unban the "good guys" once we get rid of the trolls?

I think it's obvious that banning the trolls should be our primary goal. Saving ourselves is honestly a distant second. If we can't stop the trolls, the whole community goes down.

• mod

@Yamikuronue makes a good point. If we can get rid of the trolls who are blackmailing us, then those remaining can hopefully put in some effort to find a way to unban any of us that may get sacrificially banned along the way. Even if that does not happen, isn't the survival of the community greater than any one of us being a part of it?

• @abarker said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

@Yamikuronue makes a good point. If we can get rid of the trolls who are blackmailing us, then those remaining can hopefully put in some effort to find a way to unban any of us that may get sacrificially banned along the way. Even if that does not happen, isn't the survival of the community greater than any one of us being a part of it?

Of course, that's a decent point. But it's not like we have squadrons of mods that we can throw to the wolves. Eight is a lot for moderating the forum, but not quite so for dealing with this situation.

Choose poorly just a few times and we might very well end up overrun before we can say "no longer welcome here".

@Maciejasjmj Are you advocating that we do nothing until we have hard evidence?

• SockDev

@Maciejasjmj I do hope you're not suggesting we do nothing at all until we have hard evidence. It's not like the trolls are just going to give up their identities: they;re too good for that.

• @RaceProUK said in Forum Mafia - Game Thread:

@Maciejasjmj I do hope you're not suggesting we do nothing at all until we have hard evidence. It's not like the trolls are just going to give up their identities: they;re too good for that.

So if they're too good to give up their identities, do you propose we just ban someone at random today? Because to me, that sounds like an even worse idea, given that we have hardly any room for a mistake.

With so few of us, we can't just banhammer and see what happens. If we fail to gather anything today, then I think that yes, we should give @boomzilla a day off. That's of course not to say that we shouldn't make any effort to gather information before the end of the day, but it should at least be a justified ban, not just one to test the waters.

• SockDev

@Maciejasjmj That's good to hear: it means we're singing from the same hymn sheet.

So if they're too good to give up their identities, do you propose we just ban someone at random today? Because to me, that sounds like an even worse idea, given that we have hardly any room for a mistake.

Seems familiar. I feel like I've seen this argument before somewhere.

If there's nothing to do today, is there a point in posting anything today?

• mod

Seems familiar. I feel like I've seen this argument before somewhere.

If there's nothing to do today, is there a point in posting anything today?

You :hanzo:d my question!

@xaade Agreed. This is pure defeatism -- and it's not like you, Maciej. Or have you been compromised?

@xaade Agreed. This is pure defeatism -- and it's not like you, Maciej. Or have you been compromised?

What defeatism? I'm saying that we should have a case today before we bother bz, and if we don't then we shouldn't just pick someone at random and instead work during the night. If any, it's one on @RaceProUK's part, since she's the one who claims that the trolls are too good to give up their identities.

And I'll have you know that misrepresenting other party's arguments is a common trolling tactic. Unless you know that already.

@Maciejasjmj Defeatism: We've only just begun, and you're already talking about what to do if we fail.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.