ImpMisA - Level 1 Retrospective

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

So, I had the idea that it might be worthwhile to have an occasional "what I've liked so far" and "what I want to work to improve" discussion. And since I'm just enough exposed to Agile to know some of the buzzwords, I figured I'd call it a retrospective :P

Didn't want to bog down combat with it, but with combat ending and us leveling up, it seems like a somewhat natural window for it...

My goals for the discussion (feel free to suggest additional or alternative goals!):

1. Things you like so far - high moments, call outs, etc.
    2. Things you want to work to improve - I don't necessarily want to preclude any legitimate "hey can [Person X] work on [Thing Y]", but I think it would be most productive if this is more of a "things I can do or things we can work on as a group" and less of a Festivus airing of grievances.

Things I like so far:

• The world setting has been 10/10. I find it pretty easy (too easy!) to imagine myself as Cy and to get into the wants, needs, motivations of our party and what we're aiming to accomplish
    • Obviously, the most excellent map the headmaster provided. :tropical_drink:
    • I feel like the encounters have been well designed, in that they've required / provided a fair amount of tactical thought and felt like a challenge, without feeling insurmountable

Things I want to work to improve:

• I wish I had done a better job during initial setup of explicitly asking for help. To that end, going forward, I want to be more direct about asking for feedback on ideas or especially asking for assistance from the group as a whole when my eyes are glazing over deep within the Pathfinder rulebook or such.
    • I feel like there's room to improve the way I'm playing Cy as far as interacting & coordinating with the team. Too often I find myself just kind of going into solo hero mode and approaching the challenges only as "what can Cy do to save the day", rather than considering the capabilities of the team as a whole.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

• It seems fun, despite my lack of ability to really participate these last few months.
    • Clearly each encounter has been thought out to be challenging but not overbearingly execution-critical.

Personal Progress Goals:

• I really need to RTFM. Like, every time I need to do a roll I trust my previous cached calculations on assumption that the automated systems that suggested them way-back-when are forever correct (which is not likely the case). It just so happens that most of the time it has been, but only out of luck.
    • Situational awareness. I'd like to keep a succinct log of actions during encounters so I can briskly skim through what's been going on so far without the anecdotes getting in the way. This takes time and effort I don't currently have though...
    • I definitely need to figure out better strategies. My assumption of "Be the archer dude who stands far away, but be capable in case of close-combat" hasn't seemed to work very well so far. Recalibration and analysis will take time and effort I don't currently have...

And I'm not now watching this thread. Hi.

@izzion

more direct about asking for feedback on ideas

Anything atm you'd like some help with?

what can Cy do to save the day

This is a really hard mindset to get out of and one that's very easy to slip back into. Points though for not only seeing yourself doing it, but also having Cy internalize how you've been playing him and making the fault not meta but in-game. Kudos there.

10/10

As much as I love me a perfect score, I'd actually hope to hear some suggestions for improvement or requests. Are the NPCs (the handful so far) interactive enough? Proactive enough? It's a fine-line between the NPCs only doing something if you press a button and having them putting the party on the back foot, forcing the players to only react (which limits options and comes close to railroading). Are we describing scenes enough, too little, lop-sidedly with too much detail about things you don't care about? Are we giving too many options- would people want us to 'nudge' the players with narrated suggestions to give hints at possible solutions or actions (but you could ignore them and do other stuff, of course)?

@Tsaukpaetra

each encounter has been though

I actually feel like I botched a little on this last one- I should have included some zombie types, to prevent people like Cy and Biggen from having their primary (and secondary) means of attack completely neutralized.

every time I need to do a roll

As I suggested to @xaade I actually recommend doing this- do the calculations for each of your attacks or other commonly used abilities and write them down on your sheet (or wherever). They don't change as often as you might think (leveling and new loot, and loot usually only tweaks one or a few at most) and it can make not only performing an action easier but also help you remember what your options are.

definitely need to figure out better strategies

I can see why you're worried but it's somewhat biased- in the first battle, you were doing non-standard actions (social combat-ish stuff) which took you out of the combat. In the second, you basically just ganked hard- that wasn't anything on your end. And this combat, well, see my self-directed scolding about flawed enemy composition. Looking over your sheet, your PC isn't bad, you've just had strange tasks or bad luck really.

Best advice I have for now is to focus on one or the other, ranged or melee (specialization is key to be badass in D&D). Picking your combat style (and favored enemy, how did I miss that?) will be a big part of that- I would recommend, but do ignore me if you want, that you go with crossbow, archery, or underhanded (crossbow slightly more than the other two).

@Kaelas said in ImpMisA - Level 1 Retrospective:

Anything atm you'd like some help with?

I think I'm good at this point, I've found my inner Zen over the fact that living with my min/max "mistakes" at level 1 is better than blowing the resources on retraining :)

Are the NPCs (the handful so far) interactive enough? Proactive enough? It's a fine-line between the NPCs only doing something if you press a button and having them putting the party on the back foot, forcing the players to only react (which limits options and comes close to railroading).

No real complaints from me here. I've classified the pilgrims going east thing as not something that we have a way to impact, more just a background setting thing than an actual quest hook, so that kind of explains away (in my head) the "brick wall" of Herald Vanessa.

Are we describing scenes enough, too little, lop-sidedly with too much detail about things you don't care about? Are we giving too many options- would people want us to 'nudge' the players with narrated suggestions to give hints at possible solutions or actions (but you could ignore them and do other stuff, of course)?

I felt like the most recent combat was very good as far as detail about the enemies. In general, I'm still a little murky about how to tell when a Knowledge roll might be useful, and I don't want to be "that guy" that is trying to roll Knowledge/Perc/SM in response to every single GM post, but overall I didn't ever feel like we were "stuck" without enough information to find/craft a way forward :shrug:

• @Kaelas said in ImpMisA - Level 1 Retrospective:

underhanded

?

@xaade

One option (about 10 styles down from the start of the combat style section) for Rangers' combat style specialization is to specialize in the Dirty Trick style of fighting -- "Underhanded"

Though it looks like it's more throwing sand in someone's face than Biggen-style-dirty tricks (:giggity:) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's actually a pretty good point.

• Overall I found the level 1 experience pretty good I'd say. For the most part, the battles seemed pretty well-balanced to me as far as difficulty goes. The other challenges to overcome seemed to make sense. Curious pilgrims...

Best advice I have for now is to focus on one or the other, ranged or melee (specialization is key to be badass in D&D). Picking your combat style (and favored enemy, how did I miss that?) will be a big part of that- I would recommend, but do ignore me if you want, that you go with crossbow, archery, or underhanded (crossbow slightly more than the other two).

Though I would say, specialization for a preferred combat strategy, while very very helpful, doesn't mean it's not good to also have a backup plan of course. Alanus for example is significantly specialized for two-weapon melee fighting (even more so after the levelup), but having that backup weapon sling staff proved pretty handy this last battle. What I would say is, for the most part specialization is good, but if there are options for backup plans that don't involve sacrificing any of how the character is specializing, why not have them.

One thing emphasized in the last battle, was damage resistance. Damage resistance doesn't come up in all battles, but when it does it tends to be a big deal, and I find tends to reward having "alternate weapons" often times. When playing a bow-using character in the past, I had found it quite helpful to carry a variety of types of arrows. Of course, level 1 characters often have less resources for alternate weapons or damage types and such... I also think that sometimes, fleshing out a character's options this way can have some minor character development relevancy too.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.