Help me diagnose this font issue

• Hi folks,

I'm having repeated font problems on Chrome. When I first open Chrome everything is fine, but after a while (a day, or few days perhaps) some of the tabs start to look like this:

0_1491292079322_upload-9bb04e65-dc70-4ece-b591-78dbd38bfd4e

WTDWTF is consistently one set of tabs that does this, but it's not the only one; I also get it in Asana, which we use for our task lists:

0_1491292232926_upload-104c5fab-f7b5-431f-af6a-b2a93b30a624

But not all sites seem to be affected (probably because of their font choices, I suppose.)

Opening a new tab doesn't help, even if I close all tabs from the site. I have to close Chrome altogether and open it again.

What should I be looking at/for to work out why this is happening? I'm a data guy, presentation is not my strong suit, so I'm going to need some hand-holding here. (I can manage to open the inspector and poke around. But I don't know what to poke at.)

ETA: Chrome 57.0.2987.133 on Windows 7 Pro SP1.

• @Scarlet_Manuka Wow, I haven't seen fonts that ugly since the "Linux goes desktop, 2000 edition"

• It may be similar to this issue: https://coderwall.com/p/9tecwq/fix-poor-font-rendering-in-chrome-on-windows

tldr: Turn on cleartype in your system settings, and "Disable accelerated 2D Canvas" in Chrome settings (I think it's under chrome://flags)

• @wft said in Help me diagnose this font issue:

@Scarlet_Manuka Wow, I haven't seen fonts that ugly since the "Linux goes desktop, 2000 edition"

Yeah, as you can imagine it's pretty painful to read when it goes like that.

@hungrier said in Help me diagnose this font issue:

Turn on cleartype in your system settings, and "Disable accelerated 2D Canvas" in Chrome settings (I think it's under chrome://flags)

Thanks for that. I already had cleartype on, but I've disabled the accelerated 2D canvas and we'll see if that makes a difference.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.