State/National Park Maps

• I don't know how the maps are where you live, but in Ohio, we have a lot of bad maps at state parks.  They went to the trouble of putting up stakes with pictures designating which trail is which (i.e. pic of pine cone, pic of leaf, pic of bird, etc) with arrows, which is a great start.  However, the paper maps don't match up any of the symbols, and name the trails with names unrelated to the symbols!  Nothing worse than hiking through the forest, and trying to decide if a pine cone means "forest trail" or "river trail".  (no pics of forests or rivers...)  The icons have colors, but the colors don't match the colors for the trails used on the maps.  Did no one ever try to follow the map whilst in the forest?

• Don't be silly.  Mapmakers don't use their maps.  If they did, they'd be [url=http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs]lost[/url], too.

• It's the same all over. A lot of state and county parks here in California give you a map as you enter that doesn't include any useful navigation landmarks. Often, a trail will be marked for the first mile or so, then just fade out. I guess the assumption is that anyone who walks more than a mile into the woods is either familiar with the area, or has a real map and a compass.

I don't really mind that trails aren't well marked, or that not every trail is on the map that they hand out. All I really want is marker stakes at major trail intersections, with a clearly-marked number on them. Them put those numbers on the map, and I'll be able to use it to figure out where the heck I am, even if the map is light on detail, and doesn't show every trail.

• I wish they had maps to PIZZA HUT...Every single PIZZA HUT in the world