Dice Throne

• FoxDev

• 🚽 Regular

• A game of intriguing dice

How on Earth can dice be intriguing?

Dice are king, but can also be tamed

I think they have a dice fetish.

It's okay I guess? A very streamlined MtG with some random elements. The art style is pretty ugly and reminds me of some sort of F2P mobile game, but other than that it's fine.

• @Maciejasjmj
    Eh, those characters are not nearly fan service-y enough for a F2P mobile game...

• FoxDev

@izzion said in Dice Throne:

@Maciejasjmj
    Eh, those characters are not nearly fan service-y enough for a F2P mobile game...

why do F2P games almost always have boobage that defies gravity and sense to shove in your face at every opportunity?

Is it because the quality of the game appears to be inversely proportional to the boobage on display? the developers are trying to distract people from how terrible the game is?

• FoxDev

@accalia said in Dice Throne:

why do F2P games almost always have boobage that defies gravity and sense to shove in your face at every opportunity?

Because the gaming industry still has its head stuck firmly in a time period where women in games were either sex symbols, damsels in distress, or frequently both?

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said in Dice Throne:

@accalia said in Dice Throne:

Because the gaming industry still has its head stuck firmly in a time period where women in games were either sex symbols, damsels in distress, or frequently both?

0_1490010943892_upload-42c860bf-ef33-4b63-9e30-84c392782368

• @accalia
    Well, and I think the target market is "barely pubescent/college age guys", so might as well get them thinking with their dongers, increase the likelihood that they impulse buy the microtransaction stuff.

Basically a case of shaking the moneymakers...

• FoxDev

@izzion said in Dice Throne:

Basically a case of shaking the moneymakers...

and I'm expected to be happy about the treatment those game developers give my gender?

because i'm not.

• @accalia
    Did I say it was cromulent?

Now, excuse me, I need to go check on my Valor kingdom... ;)

(j/k - I don't play those styles of games because they consume way too much time and you can't win without macro-transactioning the microtransactions anyway)

• BINNED

@accalia Toby fair, I don't remember Zelda being helpless in any of the home console games since LttP (not sure about handhelds).

Also, I give you the other princess in mainline games, but I hate that pink dress wearing peach in Mario Kart 🍊

Filed under: Fuck your red shells!

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@RaceProUK No, it's because boobage is cool and interesting. Sorry, Brianna.

• @accalia Zelda did an okay job in the worst Zelda game.

• @Magus Was she even in Majora's Mask?

tro

• @hungrier I figured Wand of Gamelon was too sad to even joke about, but I suppose I have a lot to learn about humanity still.

• @RaceProUK said in Dice Throne:

I don't think you make a business of doing something on purpose that is proven to lose money.

That said, it does appear that boobs are there to capture market lost from having an intellectually unengaging product.

Ironically, history has produced times where men were primarily sex symbols, and continues to produce male sex symbols today.

The times it becomes problematic are when it translates into collateral situations where people are not wanting the attention. Women have seemed to be more of the victim of this. But the concept of sex symbolism is not a bad thing. Certainly the free sex movement was driven by men and women being idolized as sex symbols.

Nothing like society being unconcerned about a pack of cougars chasing a legally underage Justin Beiber.

• @Onyx said in Dice Throne:

@accalia Toby fair, I don't remember Zelda being helpless in any of the home console games since LttP (not sure about handhelds).

• Ocarina of Time - As soon as Zelda is exposed as being Zelda, she turns completely helpless
    • Wind Waker - As soon as Zelda is exposed as being Zelda, she turns completely helpless
    • Twilight Princess - Already a prisoner when the game starts.
    • Skyward Sword - She actually does plot related stuff in this one.
    • Breath of the Wild - No idea, haven't finished it yet.

Oh, and we can't forget the handheld games

• Oracles - Shows up halfway through the second game and gets kidnapped. Gets kidnapped again towards the end of the second game.
    • Minish Cap - Turned to stone near the start of the game
    • Phantom Hourglass - Turned to stone at the start of the game
    • Spirit Tracks - The one game in which Zelda is truly helpful, despite technically being killed at the game's start.
    • Link Between Worlds - Basically identical to what happens to her in Link to the Past.

• BINNED

@powerlord fair 'nuff, I was mostly going by snippets of info about games since I never really played anything after LttP, but I always saw those "alternate" versions of Zelda (as in, you're supposed to not know it's her, instead it's a ninja/pirate/whatever character) and buttumed they kept it going throughout the game.

I hear BotW is different, but dunno, haven't played it either.

• @accalia Play for free now, my Lord!

• FoxDev

• @Onyx As a side note, if you have a 3DS, Link Between Worlds is a direct sequel to Link to the Past.

In fact, the artwork strongly suggests it started life as a remake of LTTP using 3D assets (but still the top down viewpoint) before being turned into its own game.

Edit: Most of the world map is the same, although a few locations did change a bit. Dungeons completely changed, even the ones that are ostensibly the same dungeons as LTTP (Eastern Palace and Tower of Hera specifically).

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@xaade said in Dice Throne:

I don't think you make a business of doing something on purpose that is proven to lose money.

No, but see Moneyball; sometimes the things that will make more money are so different than what everyone else is doing that only in hindsight can you say "Oh yeah, that's why we were failing this whole time".

• 🚽 Regular

@JazzyJosh said in Dice Throne:

@accalia Play for free now, my Lord!

This thread keeps getting jellypotatoed to this post when I arrive.

Oh well, could be worse.

• @Yamikuronue said in Dice Throne:

No, but see Moneyball; sometimes the things that will make more money are so different than what everyone else is doing that only in hindsight can you say "Oh yeah, that's why we were failing this whole time".

No. That's not the point of Moneyball.

The point of Moneyball is that you absolutely CAN create a team that will win more games than it loses, based on stats.

But it's not EVERY game that counts, only the last one. And to win a single game, you need a traditional team.

I can see this applying here, but not the way you intended. In that, boobs do sell, and they sell well, but that's not the qualities that most gamers want. They're not playing to win the "single game". They're playing to win their market, and it works.

Besides, its not the sex selling that is the problem. It's the lack of respect for women. You might make a correlation between the two, but that correlation is weak and it's been disproven with violence in videogames leading to violent behavior. It would be better to just focus on treating women respectfully, but that's less controversial.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@xaade I was more referring to the idea that you can take something that's always been seen one way (stolen bases, batting average, and RBI are your best indicator of a successful player; the best players are the most expensive ones) and flip your viewpoint around (a team that can get on base consistently, something that had been undervalued, is a team that can score consistently; a team that has a few "star players" and a bunch of cheap leftovers is going to end up with those stars stranded on base and unable to score) and revolutionize the whole game.

We're seeing that in fits and starts now: huge, expensive titles are losing in overall sales to cheap indie games that focus on fun rather than flash. More people want Minecraft than Dante's Inferno, despite the former having no tits, crappy textures, and being written in motherfucking Java.

despite the former having no tits

0_1490627419278_upload-5427474f-5a5b-4f83-8775-4a8f649311a6

huge, expensive titles are losing in overall sales to cheap indie games that focus on fun rather than flash

A few things on this.

1. As a parent, I have less and less time to play. I prefer quickly starting short jaunts. I find myself playing Lego Worlds and Dungeon of the Endless more often than Fallout 4. The gamer generation is getting older.
    2. Free to Play + mobile devices. Some people might not even have PC or Consoles, but they'll have a phone.
    3. Worldwide access to #2.
    4. Graphics have to progress to keep people interested in graphics, but they progressed so fast that they're taking more and more and more of the budget.
    5. Virtual Reality is much more feasible with less demanding games.

• @Yamikuronue

I was also worried for a while that we'd get buried under a pile of Candy Crush Sagas. But, it appears that more nuanced games are making it to mobile.

• ♿ (Parody)

The point of Moneyball is that you absolutely CAN create a team that will win more games than it loses, based on stats

No, the point of Moneyball is to use statistics to be more efficient with your resources by finding holes in stuff "everyone knows."

NB: I've only read the book. Haven't seen the movie.

• @boomzilla So, it's a bad analogy.

Mostly because we'd rather not run stats to see if boobs sell more than no boobs, in case the outcome isn't desirable.

• ♿ (Parody)

@xaade not really, I think she was just assuming that there was something else there. That other people hasn't caught onto yet.