Mafia XVI - Scum Thred

• sockdevs

Welcome Mafia. Good luck!

• sockdevs

Assuming all active members are present, we number very few indeed. We will need to be very careful on this first day.

• sockdevs

All members are present and accounted for.

0_1488548966390_upload-88c1b460-401c-4fd9-829d-dea8bee03a17

• @RaceProUK said in Mafia XVI - Scum Thred:

we number very few indeed

Two out of seven? Those are insanely good odds, they have no power roles worth any salt, and they don't have enough time to figure out the modifiers reliably before landing in MyLo.

If everything goes right today, they only have one night's worth of investigation. Don't think they'll untangle the modifiers with so little time.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj Good point. And I guess there's no point in using our own investigative powers: we already know who we have to kill. Besides, unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no roles on the town side that can block us. Still, with only one kill per night (otherwise this would be a very short game), the one not killing may as well use their role.

• sockdevs

The way @dangeRuss is playing at the moment, it makes him sound like an Alignment Cop. Might be worth encouraging suspicion of him a little?

• sockdevs

Well, there was no lynch. Also, no lunch.

So, who we gonna kill?

• sockdevs

Also, a quick rule clarification: @accalia, can the person nominated to perform the faction kill also use their power role?

• sockdevs

the faction kill does not block the power role.

You may nominate a target and perform your power role, or you may decide to waive your faction kill if you desire. The default, if you do not submit a target for the faction kill, will be to treat it as a power role and assign the target randomly amongst all living players by fair dice roll.

Well, there was no lynch. Also, no lunch.

So, who we gonna kill?

dangeRuss is either baiting or stupid. Which one would you prefer to bet on? Given that the claim came rather early in the game, I'd say there are decent chances he spilled the beans without thinking much.

I'd avoid killing Created as that's going to give him a bit too much credence. Plus you're investigating him. If not dangeRuss, then maybe djls45 and try to toss some suspicion towards Jaloopa?

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj My only real objection to killing Russ is

CreatedToDislikeThis said:

dangeRuss will investigate who he wishes - maybe he'll get killed by the mafia anyway?

Almost as if he's being positioned as a sacrificial lamb. Then again, I can't ignore the fact he may have revealed his role, and it's the Alignment Cops that are the danger to us.

I'll have a bit of a think, and get back to you.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj OK, I've had a think, and I can't think of a good reason to kill djls over Russ. So, if you're happy with killing Russ, we kill Russ. 'Sides, we can always go after djls in night 2 :slight_smile:

Almost as if he's being positioned as a sacrificial lamb

Then again, Created has no idea who dangeRuss is either. So yeah. It's simple. We kill dangeRuss.

As for the investigation, I'm a role cop, and assuming so are you I guess it's better for us to just tell the truth. I can afford not to lie about my own sanity, I'll just lie about the results if it's necessary. You have it a bit tougher as Created has more town cred than he should and he might be quite strong once he figures out his sanity, but it's probably too risky to lie as you're the suspicious one.

Then again, if we off the two psychiatrists (and the town seems hellbent on giving them to us on a silver platter), the role cops can run in circles as much as they want to.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj said in Mafia XVI - Scum Thred:

It's simple. We kill dangeRuss.

Is this your formal night action submission or just discussion?

• sockdevs

I'm a role cop, and assuming so are you

Indeed I am. I reasoned you were too, because it makes no sense for either of us to be alignment cops. After all, we already know everyone's alignments :slight_smile:

I also agree being honest about our investigations is the right way to go.

@accalia said in Mafia XVI - Scum Thred:

Is this your formal night action submission or just discussion?

If @Maciejasjmj agrees, it'll be our formal submission.

If @Maciejasjmj agrees, it'll be our formal submission.

Yup.

• sockdevs

Night Kill target confirmed

• sockdevs

@accalia said in Mafia XVI - Coptastrophe Mafia:

Welcome, dangeRuss, you are a Psychiatrist Townie.

We were right to go after Russ :slight_smile:

Also, given the plan was changed, I ended up investigating Vault_Dweller. Turns out he's the other Psychiatrist (and also insane, though for us, sanity results are irrelevant). So, if he doesn't get lynched, I think we have our next target :D

We were right to go after Russ

Turns out he wasn't so clever as to misdirect us. Oh well...

You're a cop, and according to me you're insane. (I mean, in character. Mostly.)

• @accalia said in Mafia XVI - Coptastrophe Mafia:

The last page in the notebook has few enough words survive, in fact the only words that are still legible are CreatedToDislikeThis and Loyal.

Also that's some damn bullshit. Why does the town get rewarded for letting their cop die with a surefire result that doesn't need verification?

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj It'd be less of an issue if Russ was actually investigating Created, but the plan stated him to be investigating djls. Unless, of course, Russ didn't submit an action.

Either way, free info like that is a little unfair, I feel. The only way it makes sense is trying to even the odds, but even then, it just doesn't sit right with me.

It'd be less of an issue if Russ was actually investigating Created, but the plan stated him to be investigating djls.

It was said that psychiatrists are free to ignore the pecking order and investigate whoever.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj Good point: forgot about that.

• sockdevs

Hmm… any point in me lying about Vault's sanity?

• sockdevs

@RaceProUK I can't think of a good reason to lie, so I'll just report what I actually received.

• This thread keeps getting bumped down on my list and I can never notice when you reply. Urgh.

@accalia - does the insanity also apply to "cop"/"psychiatrist" results, or just to sanities and alignments? djls45 has Vault_Dweller pegged as naive and I doubt that would be the case if he was indeed a psychiatrist from a balancing viewpoint, so I presume either he is wrong or @RaceProUK is.

As for the tactics, it's tempting to goad the town into a lynch and win before the night, especially if killing off VD means they get another confirmed result for free (goddammit!). But I'm not sure how to go about that, especially since so far no one's speaking up and it feels like proposing a lynch will get whoever does that on a chopping block.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj I set the game threads to Watching, so I get notified on every reply, regardless of whether I'm mentioned or not. That way, it doesn't matter how low the threads get knocked down.

As for the investigations, my understanding is the role result is unaffected by sanity: that only affects the sanity and alignment results. In regards to forcing a lynch, we could try and force one and win the game, but such an attempt could backfire if we mis-step.

I think, however, the biggest problem is the slow pace. Because there's no rule forcing people to post at least once a day (and with such a small group), the pace of the game has slowed to a crawl. Normally, a game like this would be rather more lively, with accusations flying all over, but that just isn't happening.

Having said that, if day 2 ends with another no-lynch, I don't see day 3 being slow at all, as it'll be LyLo. If that doesn't light a fire under the townies' arses, nothing will.

• sockdevs

accalia - does the insanity also apply to "cop"/"psychiatrist" results

no. that is not listed in the alteration tables and so is not affected by sanity

• @accalia said in Mafia XVI - Scum Thred:

accalia - does the insanity also apply to "cop"/"psychiatrist" results

no. that is not listed in the alteration tables and so is not affected by sanity

Good. Good. I guess we can get some town brownie points by telling them not to reveal the psychiatrist, especially since no one seems to have caught on that they're also role cops.

• sockdevs

Well, that was a slow and unproductive day. Guess we should, like, kill someone now.

Personally, I say let's kill the second psych, Vault. Then again, if the sanities revealed bear the truth, then he's no threat to us anyway, as he'll only ever get 'Townie' alignment results. Then again, I see no ringleader or power player that, if killed, would cripple Town's ability to band together.

@Maciejasjmj, thoughts?

• @RaceProUK hardly any point in killing VD - it's going to bring some attention to you as you investigated him, and the town will want to know how the scum figured the psychiatrist out. And the town is going to get his results anyway, verified 100% if we kill him.

Getting rid of VD only helps us if they lynch one of us and the game goes into the next day, and at that point we'll be boned anyway.

I say kill Created. He's confirmed town, so we take that away from them, and it's an obvious enough move that they won't tie it to anyone personally.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj Fair enough.

@accalia, we nominate Created as the target of our night kill.

• I wonder if either of us claiming psychiatrist with a scum ("town", since we both claimed scum on Created and we're trying to pawn ourselves as insane) result on VD would work. If VD investigates either of us tonight we're in a tough spot unless we can discredit him.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj Worth a shot, I guess. And since I claimed I would have investigated Created on Night 1, me claiming to have investigated VD on Night 2 and getting 'Town' would have a little more weight, I think.

Aside from that, the only other thing we have to decide is who to investigate with our Role Cop powers. But since we already know the one result that matters (VD is the psych), I'm tempted to leave that to the polyhedral gods :slight_smile:

Aside from that, the only other thing we have to decide is who to investigate with our Role Cop powers. But since we already know the one result that matters (VD is the psych), I'm tempted to leave that to the polyhedral gods

We should probably be nice and comply with what the town wants to do. Hell, I might even tell them the truth.

I got "insane" on you as a RC, so I'm either sane or paranoid. I could go with djls45's suggestion and act paranoid.

• sockdevs

I could go with djls45's suggestion and act paranoid.

That's probably the best play for now. The last thing we want to do is snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

• sockdevs

@RaceProUK said in Mafia XVI - Scum Thred:

@accalia, we nominate Created as the target of our night kill.

confirmed.

• sockdevs

So, I'm now investigating our target, it seems.

• The good news is, going by djls45's plan I'm investigating VD, so I can back your story claiming I got a "cop" result on him.

• @Maciejasjmj (the bad news is, we'd be going all-in here - if the town ends up lynching you, they'll get to me if I back your story).

• @Maciejasjmj oh, shit, and Jaloopa is investigating you. That kind of makes the plan much more difficult since he'll get a role cop result, and it'll be basicaly me and you vs. him and VD. So we don't get the usual scum advantage of having to rack up fewer votes than the town, and it would all be down to what djls45 decides.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj That does make things tricky. To be honest, I'm not sure what we can do to swing the odds in our favour. We won't be able to rely on another no-lynch: the game going into LyLo'll light a fire under their butts.

@Maciejasjmj That does make things tricky. To be honest, I'm not sure what we can do to swing the odds in our favour. We won't be able to rely on another no-lynch: the game going into LyLo'll light a fire under their butts.

Let's run down the scenarios:

• We kill VD; he investigated one of us. One of us gets lynched, the other kills Created the next night and it's a rather classic 2-1 LyLo where no one has any information.
    • We kill VD; he investigated Jaloopa or djls45. Whoever he investigated is confirmed town together with Created, so we can only try to lynch the other one.
    • We kill Created, you claim psychiatrist. Jaloopa knows you're lying, and I have to make my result on you public - either pulling us into a heated 2v2 trying to convince djls45, or getting you killed and keeping VD conftown and alive for another investigation (potentially on me). And if VD investigates djls45 and claims he's town, it's going to sway him to his side.
    • We kill Created, you don't claim. If VD investigated one of us then that person is boned, and the next day he'll either drag the other down or confirm a townie. If VD investigated a townie then we're in a 2v2 again.
    • We kill Jaloopa or djls45, hoping VD investigated either one of them, leaving him with no useful result since both are things the town already knows. Way risky.

Perhaps we should actually kill VD, although again, that's going to raise an eyebrow as to how the scum knew VD was a psychiatrist. Of course the scum isn't obliged to follow the investigating procedure, but still.

• sockdevs

@Maciejasjmj If VD truly is naïve, then his investigation will turn up Townie regardless of who he investigates, making his information useless. In that respect, killing VD might work to our advantage if his naïvete is confirmed. It would lend credence to my insanity, and back up my claim I'd get 'disloyal' if I had investigated Created instead.

It's a tough call, but at this point, I'm swinging back to killing VD.

If VD truly is naïve

@accalia - an insane cop gets "insane" on both sane and naive cops? Or is it a transcription error?

• sockdevs

If VD truly is naïve

@accalia - an insane cop gets "insane" on both sane and naive cops? Or is it a transcription error?

there is no transcription errors in the translation tables.

i can't comment on wether it was pre-night one or not, but the rules have been in use for at least one night so they must stand as is.

• @accalia hmph, fair enough.

So VD might be sane, with Created being naive.

• sockdevs

It's a tough call, but at this point, I'm swinging back to killing VD.

And this morning, I changed my mind again, and now favour killing Created.

• sockdevs

Shit. Created was the naive cop, which means VD is a credible threat to us.

• sockdevs

Double shit: he's onto us.

We need to divert all suspicion to Jaloopa.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.