Completely Random Memory



  • I got to thinking about my past jobs and the people I've worked with. There was one guy I remember who acted like he had Tourette's. He would purposely hang out at your cube and yell strange things that would get the managers attention.

    One time he yelled "Dirty magazines!" (Needless to say, I was mortified. It was one of my first jobs and I couldn't afford to get fired.) One of the managers heard and rushed over to see what was the matter. He was all flustered when he asked "What's going on here?!?" I almost peed in my pants I was so scared about losing my position.

    But what was funny to me was the manager was looking around on the desk, as if to find the "dirty magazine". He seemed genuinely curious.

    That Tourette's guy did that a couple more times while I was there. I think I remember him yelling "Naked women!" and "Look at this porn site!" You can imagine how that went over with the female workers.

    Strangely enough, the guy was never reprimanded for his actions. 



  • Unfortunately laws protect people like this from discrimination by employers, and an employer telling someone for that sort of behavior off could be seen as "discrimination", either that or the guy never disclosed any health problems he has that could effect his job performance



  • I don't think that "dirty magazines" would cause much problem in my country, unless the employee "reads" them too obviously during work. In places dominated by male blue-collar workers, you can most likely find calenders featuring naked women hanging on the wall. For many companies e.g. in engineering, such calenders are a popular christmas present for business partners.

    On the other hand, female coworkers might complain about harassment if they are shown those pictures... 

    "Naked women"... well, they are quite common in advertizing. You could just open a completely normal magazine and there is an add for a perfume or so, featuring a completely naked women.
     



  • Off topic, but did you see these Knuth is my homeboy t-shirts?

     http://geekz.co.uk/shop/store/show/knuth-tshirt



  • @webzter said:

    Off topic, but did you see these Knuth is my homeboy t-shirts?

     http://geekz.co.uk/shop/store/show/knuth-tshirt

    I just purchased one. For the sole purpose of burning it in effigy. 



  • @ammoQ said:

    I don't think that "dirty magazines" would cause much problem in my country, unless the employee "reads" them too obviously during work. In places dominated by male blue-collar workers, you can most likely find calenders featuring naked women hanging on the wall. For many companies e.g. in engineering, such calenders are a popular christmas present for business partners.

    On the other hand, female coworkers might complain about harassment if they are shown those pictures... 

    "Naked women"... well, they are quite common in advertizing. You could just open a completely normal magazine and there is an add for a perfume or so, featuring a completely naked women.
     

    Lucky bastard.  We can't do that sort of thing in puritanical USA.  It's even worse today because of the litigious nature of our society.  I don't get it.  Extremely bloody and violent movies, video games, tv shows are okay but showing some woman's breasts is evil. 



  • @lpope187 said:

    Lucky bastard.  We can't do that sort of thing in puritanical USA.  It's even worse today because of the litigious nature of our society.  I don't get it.  Extremely bloody and violent movies, video games, tv shows are okay but showing some woman's breasts is evil. 

    When I was an IS intern at a paper mill, it was common form for just about every work area out in the yard, especially, but sometimes in the mill as well, to have playboy calendars and such hanging around. Any of the staff that felt uncomfortable being around that material simply called an area ahead of time to let them know they'd be out.

    And, there are plenty of naked women in magazines here... they just happen to have odd bits and bobs covering up the interesting areas... very contradictory, I agree. Violence is fine but heaven forbid that little Jonny accidentally sees a nipple.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.