Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!

• 🚽 Regular

First thing this morning I got an email to my work address from someone, verbatim:

Subject: Hire me!
    Hello! I a great worker who wants tow ork! i do amazing c! learning c#!!! need money so i am looking for work! please give me work! thanks!!!!!

kevin

I snorted, closed the email, and continued on with my morning ritual of sipping coffee and catching up on emails. Soon after, I got another email.

Subject: Re: Hire me!
    Hello, Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in working for us. Unfortunately we don't have any job openings available at this time. If you provide us with your resume, we can file it should new opportunities arise.

Regards,

Joe Smith
    Initrode, Inc.

Initrode? I work for Initech! What the heck? I then looked at the "To:" field of the original email, which had over 100 recipients, all different companies across the country, and possibly the world. As I gazed my eyes at what Kevin did, I hear the 'ding' of yet another email.

Kevin,

We do not accept direct emails for job opportunities. Please use our jobs form at https://omgwtfcorp.com/jobs to apply to our openings.

Best of luck,

Jane Doe
    Hiring Manager
    OMG WTF Corp

I start to hang my head.

Subject: RE: Re: Hire me!
    Guys, please do not hit 'Reply All' to Kevin's email.

Marcus Jones
    Some Inc.

Subject: re: RE: Re: Hire me!
    Marcus is right. I don't want to see email after email regarding this opportunity.

Some Other Inc.

Hi, Kevin

We may be interested! Please send us your resume, including educational background and phone number. If we are still interested, we can contact you for an interview.

Thanks!

Kelly M.
    WTF Corp

...and that was just the beginning. By this afternoon, I've gotten no less than 20 emails, most of which were either form responses or outright rejections. Some people just don't understand "Reply All" :wtf:

• FoxDev

@The_Quiet_One said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

First thing this morning I got an email to my work address from someone, verbatim:

Subject: Hire me!
    Hello! I a great worker who wants tow ork! i do amazing c! learning c#!!! need money so i am looking for work! please give me work! thanks!!!!!

kevin

I snorted, closed the email, and continued on with my morning ritual of sipping coffee and catching up on emails. Soon after, I got another email.

Hello, Kevin,

Thank you for your interest in working for us. Unfortunately we don't have any job openings available at this time. If you provide us with your resume, we can file it should new opportunities arise.

Regards,

Joe Smith
    Initrode, Inc.

Initrode? I work for Initech! What the heck? I then looked at the "To:" field of the original email, which had over 100 recipients, all different companies across the country, and possibly the world. As I gazed my eyes at what Kevin did, I hear the 'ding' of yet another email.

Kevin,

We do not accept direct emails for job opportunities. Please use our jobs form at https://omgwtfcorp.com/jobs to apply to our openings.

Best of luck,

Jane Doe
    Hiring Manager
    OMG WTF Corp

I start to hang my head.

Subject: RE: Re: Hire me!
    Guys, please do not hit 'Reply All' to Kevin's email.

Marcus Jones
    Some Inc.

Subject: re: RE: Re: Hire me!
    Marcus is right. I don't want to see email after email regarding this opportunity.

Some Other Inc.

Hi, Kevin

We may be interested! Please send us your resume, including educational background and phone number. If we are still interested, we can contact you for an interview.

Thanks!

Kelly M.
    WTF Corp

...and that was just the beginning. By this afternoon, I've gotten no less than 20 emails, most of which were either form responses or outright rejections. Some people just don't understand "Reply All" :wtf:

some people should not be allowed to send email.,

0_1486497610484_upload-d0197e89-16c5-4b46-9dc6-22cd1af4bd08

• BINNED

Re: RE: Re: re: Re: RE: Hire me!

Please take me off this mailing list

Onyx
    The Daily WTF Forums

:wtf:
    Please consider the environment before printing this post
    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the members of TDWTF forums
    and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from
    disclosure. If you are not the intended reader of this post or their agent, or if this post
    has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by replying to this post and then
    delete this post and any attachments. If you are not the intended reader, you are hereby
    notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this post or its attachments is
    strictly prohibited.

• @accalia said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

some people should not be allowed to send email touch a computer

FTFY

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Onyx said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Onyx
    The Daily WTF Forums

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the members of TDWTF forums
    and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from
    disclosure. If you are not the intended reader of this post or their agent, or if this post
    has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by replying to this post and then
    delete this post and any attachments. If you are not the intended reader, you are hereby
    notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this post or its attachments is
    strictly prohibited.

Me too.

dkf
    The Daily WTF Forums

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    strictly prohibited.

• FoxDev

@dkf said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Onyx
    The Daily WTF Forums

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    strictly prohibited.

Me too.

dkf
    The Daily WTF Forums

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    strictly prohibited.

Me three.

0_1486498961880_F-Red-fox-portrait-in-forest-Katmai-National-Park-and-Preserve-Alaska.jpg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    and may contain vulpes vulpes related information and may be legally obligated to be deemed "cute".
    If you are not capable of interprting the content as required by law, or if this post has been addressed
    to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by phoning +1 (202) 324-3000 between the hours
    of 0900 and 1600 Eastern Time. If you are not the intended reader, you are hereby notified that any
    use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this post or its attachments is highly recommended.

• Some email clients, also Gmail in some configurations defaults to Reply All.

• You're not replying properly. As any fule kno, you should reply at the top.

@accalia said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Onyx
    The Daily WTF Forums

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    strictly prohibited.

Me too.

dkf
    The Daily WTF Forums

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    strictly prohibited.

Me three.

0_1486498961880_F-Red-fox-portrait-in-forest-Katmai-National-Park-and-Preserve-Alaska.jpg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    and may contain vulpes vulpes related information and may be legally obligated to be deemed "cute".
    If you are not capable of interprting the content as required by law, or if this post has been addressed
    to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by phoning +1 (202) 324-3000 between the hours
    of 0900 and 1600 Eastern Time. If you are not the intended reader, you are hereby notified that any
    use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this post or its attachments is highly recommended.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
    The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the members of TDWTF forums and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended reader of this post or their agent, or if this post has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by replying to this post and then delete this post and any attachments. If you are not the intended reader, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this post or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

• Garbage Person

@The_Quiet_One said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Kelly M.
    WTF Corp

Note to self: Violent opposition to candidates sourced from the HR catalog is called for. WtfCorp actually has a Kelly M in HR.

• If you attempt to send an email with more than 100 recipients outside of the BCC field, your computer should be required to TTS all the email addresses before you can send it.

• BINNED

@ben_lubar said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

TTS

Text To Speech? You should be required to shout at Siri/Cortona: No! The other Kevin Bacon!

• @tufty said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

You're not replying properly. As any fule kno, you should reply at the top.

There's a case to be made that the blanket hate poured on top-posting is misplaced in many cases. It's often worse when people bottom-post, because they frequently don't snip properly and therefore you have to scroll down through a repetition of the previous email or forum post or whatever before you can read the reply. At least when someone top-posts, you can read what they have to say immediately, and scan downwards for context if necessary.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

Dreikin: 📱 +1 (202) 324-3000
    📱: picked up
    📱: distorted speech you can't understand
    Dreikin: Hello, yes, I'd like to report a crime.
    📱: more ununderstandable speech
    Dreikin: Yes, negligent cuteness.
    📱: 🎷
    Dreikin: It's not? People can get away with anything these days, can't they?
    📱: 🎷
    📱: Click
    Dreikin:
    0_1486552545306_upload-684636b3-89e9-4de8-b9b0-c746ddf3061b

• You know, this kind of stuff wouldn't bug me if the person making the mistake wasn't being paid specifically to NOT make that mistake. The people that are replying to this guy are HR or other folks involved with recruiting that receive presumably a hundred emails every day at least. How do you navigate this sort of career without understanding how not to "reply all?" Not to mention replying to this guy in the first place -- who would consider hiring someone who writes barely-legible emails for any office position in this Year of Our Lord, 2017? Ironically these same people tend not to check their emails that thoroughly, from my experience so it's not surprising that being hit with garbage emails from "reply all" doesn't bother them very much.

• @TimeBandit said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

some people should not be allowed to send email touch a computer

FTFY

Some people probably should not be allowed to effing breathe. Seriously, why are we allowing Kevin to use my oxygen?

• @Steve_The_Cynic said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Seriously, why are we allowing Kevin to use my oxygen?

He's creating carbon monoxide for the plants 😈

FileUnder: I have no clue who Kevin is.

• kills Dumbledore

• ♿ (Parody)

@TimeBandit said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

FileUnder: I have no clue who Kevin is.

0_1486575788555_upload-dc7a0e28-1dc4-48f9-ad62-22ec651bab98

I really think this explains the whole thing.

• @ben_lubar said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

If you attempt to send an email with more than 100 recipients outside of the BCC field, your computer should be required to TTS all the email addresses before you can send it.

My email server rejects any email with more than (around) 100 BCC addresses. Makes being in charge of an event a little more difficult...

• FoxDev

@dcon said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

If you attempt to send an email with more than 100 recipients outside of the BCC field, your computer should be required to TTS all the email addresses before you can send it.

My email server rejects any email with more than (around) 100 BCC addresses. Makes being in charge of an event a little more difficult...

FTFY: https://mailchimp.com/

@dcon said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

FTFY: https://mailchimp.com/

Too much effort. I just need to send between 2-3 plain text notes per show with things like "This is the checkin time. We still need volunteers. etc". And the list is always different for each show.

• @The_Quiet_One I would reply all just for the trolling. Maybe that was most of it?

• :belt_onion:

@Steve_The_Cynic said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

@tufty said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

You're not replying properly. As any fule kno, you should reply at the top.

There's a case to be made that the blanket hate poured on top-posting is misplaced in many cases. It's often worse when people bottom-post, because they frequently don't snip properly and therefore you have to scroll down through a repetition of the previous email or forum post or whatever before you can read the reply. At least when someone top-posts, you can read what they have to say immediately, and scan downwards for context if necessary.

Of course the downside is signature pyramids.

That sounds good.
    -Tom

How does Friday sound?
    Bob

Hey guys, let's get together sometime this week to discuss the new changes
    -Jim
    Jim Initrode
    Initech
    Bringing tomorrow's solutions, today
    Bob Dotnet
    Initech
    Tom Timmerson
    Initech

• :belt_onion:

@sloosecannon MARKDOOOOOOOWWWN!!!!

View raw to see the post as intended

• Chain reaction of incompetence. (shakes head)

Unless kevin is a troll. In which case, this would be even better.

• 🚽 Regular

@fbmac said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

@The_Quiet_One I would reply all just for the trolling. Maybe that was most of it?

Doubtful. Most of them looked like serious replies. @cartman82 might have something about Kevin's OP being a troll, but Poe's Law will leave that mystery unanswered.

• @TimeBandit said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Great, he's so stupid that the automatic biochemical processes in his body make CO instead of CO2. He can't even breathe properly.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Great, he's so stupid that the automatic biochemical processes in his body make CO instead of CO2. He can't even breathe properly.

Hey! Why you microaggressing us robots??!?!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Because you're stealing American jobs.

Make America great robot-less again !!!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

A robot that produces CO is trying to kill us, we should be macroaggressing it

• Dupa

@sloosecannon said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

@sloosecannon MARKDOOOOOOOWWWN!!!!

View raw to see the post as intended

Actually, markdown made it even funnier. ;)

Now the FBI wants me to tell them everything I know about TDWTF.

• @Jaloopa said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

/r/storiesaboutkevin

Kevin's job was simple. Grab a two slats, (ten foot board) put it on the wall with a screw and a spacer. Move the wall with the crane, and build the next wall doing the same thing. Once he was done with that he had to put top and bottom front wall slats on the truck behind the side attach station. Get a gas plate, 16 green screws, two yellow, and four cross tip screws. Then go and put white buttons on the walls waiting to be built to attach the 10 foot slats.

I'll need more coffee before I describe that as simple.

• FoxDev

@chozang said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Now the FBI wants me to tell them everything I know about TDWTF.

0_1486903099913_Run Away.jpg

• kills Dumbledore

@coldandtired said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

@Jaloopa said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

/r/storiesaboutkevin

Kevin's job was simple. Grab a two slats, (ten foot board) put it on the wall with a screw and a spacer. Move the wall with the crane, and build the next wall doing the same thing. Once he was done with that he had to put top and bottom front wall slats on the truck behind the side attach station. Get a gas plate, 16 green screws, two yellow, and four cross tip screws. Then go and put white buttons on the walls waiting to be built to attach the 10 foot slats.

I'll need more coffee before I describe that as simple.

Unfortunately, that sub has some shit from people thinking it's just for bitching about cow orkers. Read the original from the sidebar or all time top for some great stories though

• Read something related on LinkedIn.

Not sure if he falls in the first bucket or the second one. He could be in the second one because he mentioned something about programming, but my gut feeling is he really belongs to the first one.

• FoxDev

@cheong Hmm...

Bucket 1: Isn't that everybody by definition? I mean, why apply for a job you don't want?
    Bucket 2: This is pretty much everybody too. Unless you're switching from software developer to masseuse, I guess.
    Bucket 3: This is the first bucket that doesn't include 99% of all applicants, and the first bucket it's worth dipping into.
    Bucket 4: "When are you available for interview? Great! We'll see you then!"

• @RaceProUK said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

@cheong Hmm...

Bucket 1: Isn't that everybody by definition? I mean, why apply for a job you don't want?
    Bucket 2: This is pretty much everybody too. Unless you're switching from software developer to masseuse, I guess.
    Bucket 3: This is the first bucket that doesn't include 99% of all applicants, and the first bucket it's worth dipping into.

There are difference in the first and second bucket.

The first bucket is for people who "Just want a job which can pay. Any job. Don't mind what kind of job is it." Generally people who aren't in specific industry and looking for jobs like "clerk".
    The second one is more relevant to our industry.

• @cheong

you don’t know if they’re passionate about the area of work you’re recruiting in

Fuck you, give me money in exchange for my work.

Was that passionate enough?

Also, what is it with those useless comments? Is that what LinkedIn comments look like? Good heavens.

• @anonymous234 said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

Also, what is it with those useless comments? Is that what LinkedIn comments look like? Good heavens.

Around here most LinkedIn posts are bullshit self-help stuff saying what they think HR drones want us to follow. (like how to be a good corporate drone).

@RaceProUK said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

@cheong Hmm...

I read it mostly as "I am very superficial, very susceptible to glib charm and skilled sycophants, don't understand that the primary motivation for job searching is money, and always prefer rock stars to the boring-but-competent."

@Dreikin said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

rock stars

Lots of people say they want to hire rock stars, but instead actually go for prima donnas.

rock stars

Lots of people say they want to hire rock stars, but instead actually go for prima donnas.

I thought they were synonymous around these parts?

Actual rock stars are off their skulls on drugs and are busy having “fun” with their groupies.

• @dkf said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

I like to think all good programmers are crazy

• FoxDev

@fbmac I saw what you deleted :P

@fbmac said in Re: RE: Re: re: Re: Hire me!:

I like to think all good programmers are crazy

Not “crazy”; “different”…

Actual rock stars are off their skulls on drugs and are busy having “fun” with their groupies.

👴🏻 Tonight, on Lifestyles of the Rock Star Programmers, we visit Jon Skeet on his busy touring schedule for one of his world famous after-show coke-fueled penthouse orgies. Let's go in…

• Notification Spam Recipient

I want to have fun sometimes...

• @Tsaukpaetra Yes, but with people?