Vizio TVs track what you watch

• @dangeRuss said in Vizio TVs track what you watch:

@accalia said in Vizio TVs track what you watch:

@dangeRuss said in Vizio TVs track what you watch:

@anonymous234 said in Vizio TVs track what you watch:

I thought it was already accepted that literally every "smart device" tracked your activities as much as it could?

In another shocking reveal, the NSA spies on people.

Yea, but most of them at least pretend to anonymize it. These guys basically took all your viewing habits and sold it to advertisers without anonymizing it.

and if you expected them to do anything less i have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

I did. I expected them to have a least some restraint.

Also I would not expect a TV (that doesn't have access to the cable tuner) to be able to take all the pixels, create some sort of MD5 out of them and send that to the cloud to match it to whatever show you're watching. That's pretty genius and not something an average user would expect your TV to be able to do.

If YouTube's Content ID system even halfway does what it's supposed to, why couldn't your TV do the same thing?

@dangeRuss said in Vizio TVs track what you watch:

Speaking of crimes like that - I just bought something off amazon - 2 pack of freeze dried dog food for the price of one. Guess what? I only received the one. I contacted amazon and they gave me a 50% refund, so basically I got one for 50% off, but it's also close dated (expiration date in about a month).

Now I don't know if the refund will come from the third party selling this or from amazon, but this vendor just managed to unload some expiring dog food at 50% off for the customers who notice and 0% off for those who don't (of which I assume there will be a large # ).

Not sure if amazon will do anything about this. The merchant claims that amazon screwed up the listing and it was supposed to be for a single pack, but I'm pretty sure they're bullshitting.

If it's freeze dried it'd probably be perfectly good for several years past its expiration date so long as it's kept in a suitable environment (not overly hot or humid). Perhaps there'd be a slight degradation in flavor, but not in nutrition, and you're not eating it, so who cares?