The bus makes frequent stops at "not a stop"

• The MBTA redesigned their web site a few months ago and added great new features such as a better trip planner and Google Maps integration. They also rendered the site completely useless on a mobile phone. (The old site was more or less usable on a mobile browser.)

The new site does have a few kinks though:

Apparently this bus ends every run at a place called "Not A Stop For Itinerary"

(If you don't see the image, please wait for hopefully not a long time while my web host updates its .htaccess file to allow the image to be embedded here on the new domain... Stupid slow control panel.)

Screenshot from http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/bus/routes/?route=74

• Sigh... and gecko still doesn't downscale images nicely. To view the above post with its image scaled by HTML code (so I could avoid storing the image twice), please use Opera. :^)

Or just click the link for the unscaled version.

• @Brendan Kidwell said:

Sigh... and gecko still doesn't downscale images nicely.

Firefox 3 will have the New & Better graphics engine, currently dubbed "Cairo", which supports, among other things, image resampling and border-radius antialiasing.

• @dhromed said:

Firefox 3 will have the New & Better graphics engine, currently dubbed "Cairo", which supports, among other things, image resampling and border-radius antialiasing.

For the love of god, why? Browser-scaled graphics SHOULD look bad. The last thing we need is to encourage lazy web-stupid people to waste gobs of bandwidth by relying on the browser to scale their images.

• @dhromed said:

Actually Cairo isn't Firefox-specific; a lot of apps are using it, and more will.

@Zylon said:

For the love of god, why? Browser-scaled graphics SHOULD look bad. The last thing we need is to encourage lazy web-stupid people to waste gobs of bandwidth by relying on the browser to scale their images.

Um...

Agreed in principle, but generally, the technology shouldn't save people from their own stupidity.

Let's save more bandwidth and deprecate inline images entirely! That ought to save a lot of bandwith =)

• In my experience, most buses make stops at places that aren't stops. Red lights for example.

• And the bus' number is NaN.

• (i know, old thread)

@Zylon said:
    @dhromed said:

But without good browser scaling you can’t really usefully do layouts like http://getelementsby.com/ (except for the annoying top banner)