Salary Big Mac Index

• @Groaner said:

That seems like the low end of the acceptable range for salary for juniors around here. Things seem to plateau for developers in general around 120k

What do you get for that?

I am guessing you then have to pay for health insurance and pensions and stuff, so what is left for you to live on once you've payed all expenses?

And how many big macs can you get for that?

As a comparison, my salary (university, so a little lower than the regular IT job market) is roughly half of that, and after taxes (which takes care of education, health services and pensions) I've got 46k left to live off. This buys me roughly 9500 Big Macs.

Then I of course have to pay interest on my house loans and pay my house insurance etc. etc., but this gives you a general idea...

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said in Salary Big Mac Index:

I am guessing you then have to pay for health insurance and pensions and stuff, so what is left for you to live on once you've payed all expenses?

I make a different amount, though somewhere in that ballbark, so my numbers will be off, but close enough. I subtracted all of my tax witholdings, plus my insurance premiums, pre-tax money that I set aside for health care and my pension, and I'm left with about 64% of the top line amount.

Given @Groaner's $120,000 nominal salary, that would be about $76,000 left over. Cost of living is pretty high around here (I believe we live in the same major metropolitan area).

At $4 / BigMac, that's 19,000 burgers.

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said in Salary Big Mac Index:

@Groaner said:

That seems like the low end of the acceptable range for salary for juniors around here. Things seem to plateau for developers in general around 120k

What do you get for that?

As a comparison, my salary (university, so a little lower than the regular IT job market) is roughly half of that, and after taxes (which takes care of education, health services and pensions) I've got 46k left to live off. This buys me roughly 9500 Big Macs.

Then I of course have to pay interest on my house loans and pay my house insurance etc. etc., but this gives you a general idea...

I don't remember the exact percentages, but I live in the suburbs close to the last stop on the subway system, and rent on a 1-bedroom + den apartment costs me about a quarter of take-home pay (after taxes, healthcare, and 401k contributions). When I first started working, rent represented one half. I have friends downtown who pay twice what I currently do in rent, but only make 15-20% more in gross salary. After expenses, including driving a rather fancy car and take out for lunches practically every day, I have well over 250 Big Macs per month in disposable income.

• @boomzilla said in Salary Big Mac Index:

(I believe we live in the same major metropolitan area).

This is quite likely.

• sockdevs

@Mikael_Svahnberg said in Salary Big Mac Index:

more big macs than i'm willing to even attempt to eat.

though to be fair, one big mac would meet that limit. :nauseated_face:

• @accalia said in Salary Big Mac Index:

more big macs than i'm willing to even attempt to eat.

though to be fair, one big mac would meet that limit. :nauseated_face:

I'm sorry, there seems to be some confusion here.

I never said 'eat'. :battle_bread.tiff:

• sockdevs

:battle_bread.tiff:

0_1484070923507_upload-c58faf57-23c6-4bbe-a173-7dee44c45fc6

• @boomzilla said in Salary Big Mac Index:

At $4 / BigMac

Huh, that's one expensive Big Mac.

My yearly income would pay for some... 4,000 Big Macs? Post-tax and pre-bills. Although here a Big Mac is about $2.5. That said, the Big Mac index isn't terribly representative without taking into account what you're buying - while this kind of pay easily covers living costs, I can't - for example - buy a new mobile phone or a laptop without saving for a couple of months.

• @Maciejasjmj said in Salary Big Mac Index:

Huh, that's one expensive Big Mac.

That's what google told me:

0_1484075473615_upload-bd224566-ea9a-4178-b89f-9f805b66af45

When I go to that site and put in my state it says $4.67. Seems about right to me.

• I don't know what a Big Mac costs, but Google says $3.99.

That would put me at 17,000 Big Macs after taxes.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.