Sql Server 2005 admin books

• Hey, Anyone here know of a good administration book for Sql Server 2005? I'm looking for something that will tell me what should be monitored and where to look for errors kind of thing. The ones that people point me to seem more of a programmer's optimization book (creating indexes and optimizing stored procs) than actual administration. If that's in there too, that's great but I want to know how to monitor the server.

Thanks

• I'd recommend getting a copy of SQL Server 2005 Implementation and Maintenance Training Kit. It's got tons of practices - one after each individual lesson - and does an overall good job of covering a wide range of programming, administration, and troubleshooting techniques. Read it cover-to-cover, do the practices (save the source code for reuse!), and you should be pretty well off. The bonus here is that since this is intended to be training material for a certification exam, you can go out and take the test after you feel comfortable with the material (practice questions are included on CD). The MCTS certification only requires this one exam, which makes it very attainable. Food for thought.

Another good choice to supplement your library is SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting - The Database Engine. Admittedly, I haven't read very much of the book yet, but skimming around in it suggests that it will prove indispensable. The level of technical detail is phenomenal, going so far as to cover even usage of DBCC PAGE().

• @lookaround said:

Hey, Anyone here know of a good administration book for Sql Server 2005? I'm looking for something that will tell me what should be monitored and where to look for errors kind of thing. The ones that people point me to seem more of a programmer's optimization book (creating indexes and optimizing stored procs) than actual administration. If that's in there too, that's great but I want to know how to monitor the server.

I would recommend getting industry experience over learning from a book. Books are highly overrated. You don't get much from them.

• @newguy said:

@lookaround said:

Hey, Anyone here know of a good administration book for Sql Server 2005? I'm looking for something that will tell me what should be monitored and where to look for errors kind of thing. The ones that people point me to seem more of a programmer's optimization book (creating indexes and optimizing stored procs) than actual administration. If that's in there too, that's great but I want to know how to monitor the server.

I would recommend getting industry experience over learning from a book. Books are highly overrated. You don't get much from them.

I dont know about where you work, but where i work our administrators dont know everything or the best ways to do somethings.  You can learn a lot of new techniques and tips from books. Expecially for new technology.  And books are nice to have around for a quick reference.

On the topic, I only know of books that are for programming not administration of the sql server. But SQL profiler comes with sql server and is nice for monitoring it.

• These books seem to cover what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions. It's appreciated. As for getting industry experience, I agree it would be good to learn from other people, but that's not an option where I work now. It's a small company and we're not doing anything complicated so I don't need to learn everything about the server over night.