FUCKING HELL WHY DOES Windows Defender DELETE TWO FILES WHEN I PUSH DOWNLOAD TWICE

• I just spent about ten minutes fighting Windows Defender to download an EXE I compiled myself on another computer in my house.

I disabled Windows Defender completely, downloaded the file, re-enabled Windows Defender, and it immediately quarantined my exe.

I told Windows Defender to allow me to get viruses and then I uploaded the file it moved back out of its quarantine to VirusTotal.

Fun fact: Windows doesn't let you upload a file it thinks is a virus to any website, even if you're using a third-party browser like Chrome. So if you're planning to submit a false positive to the Windows Defender team, have fun not being able to upload your VIRUS YOU HORRIBLE PERSON.

I updated the definitions, but apparently it still thinks it's a virus. It immediately said it was removing malware and the quarantine screen shows the file path of the file I just downloaded, but the file's still here.

Here, I'll just scan the file to make sure I'm not going insane.

0_1483157445035_upload-370bf15b-8e8f-465b-ae61-623ce1e62afc

Yep, I'm going insane.

• @ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

Yep, I'm going insane.

FTFY :P

• Notification Spam Recipient

@ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

I just spent about ten minutes fighting Windows Defender to download an EXE I compiled myself on another computer in my house.

I disabled Windows Defender completely, downloaded the file, re-enabled Windows Defender, and it immediately quarantined my exe.

I told Windows Defender to allow me to get viruses and then I uploaded the file it moved back out of its quarantine to VirusTotal.

Fun fact: Windows doesn't let you upload a file it thinks is a virus to any website, even if you're using a third-party browser like Chrome. So if you're planning to submit a false positive to the Windows Defender team, have fun not being able to upload your VIRUS YOU HORRIBLE PERSON.

I updated the definitions, but apparently it still thinks it's a virus. It immediately said it was removing malware and the quarantine screen shows the file path of the file I just downloaded, but the file's still here.

Here, I'll just scan the file to make sure I'm not going insane.

0_1483157445035_upload-370bf15b-8e8f-465b-ae61-623ce1e62afc

Yep, I'm going insane.

Yeah, Realtime Protection has a bug.

Just be glad you didn't zip it before copying it to your PC that's affected: You might run into the issue I had where it quarantined the zip, then extracted it to check it (inside the quarantine) then quarantined it from the quarantine...

• :belt_onion: