FUCKING HELL WHY DOES Windows Defender DELETE TWO FILES WHEN I PUSH DOWNLOAD TWICE

• I just spent about ten minutes fighting Windows Defender to download an EXE I compiled myself on another computer in my house.

I disabled Windows Defender completely, downloaded the file, re-enabled Windows Defender, and it immediately quarantined my exe.

I told Windows Defender to allow me to get viruses and then I uploaded the file it moved back out of its quarantine to VirusTotal.

Fun fact: Windows doesn't let you upload a file it thinks is a virus to any website, even if you're using a third-party browser like Chrome. So if you're planning to submit a false positive to the Windows Defender team, have fun not being able to upload your VIRUS YOU HORRIBLE PERSON.

I updated the definitions, but apparently it still thinks it's a virus. It immediately said it was removing malware and the quarantine screen shows the file path of the file I just downloaded, but the file's still here.

Here, I'll just scan the file to make sure I'm not going insane.

0_1483157445035_upload-370bf15b-8e8f-465b-ae61-623ce1e62afc

Yep, I'm going insane.

• @ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

Yep, I'm going insane.

FTFY :P

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@ben_lubar said in The Official Status Thread:

I just spent about ten minutes fighting Windows Defender to download an EXE I compiled myself on another computer in my house.

I disabled Windows Defender completely, downloaded the file, re-enabled Windows Defender, and it immediately quarantined my exe.

I told Windows Defender to allow me to get viruses and then I uploaded the file it moved back out of its quarantine to VirusTotal.

Fun fact: Windows doesn't let you upload a file it thinks is a virus to any website, even if you're using a third-party browser like Chrome. So if you're planning to submit a false positive to the Windows Defender team, have fun not being able to upload your VIRUS YOU HORRIBLE PERSON.

I updated the definitions, but apparently it still thinks it's a virus. It immediately said it was removing malware and the quarantine screen shows the file path of the file I just downloaded, but the file's still here.

Here, I'll just scan the file to make sure I'm not going insane.

0_1483157445035_upload-370bf15b-8e8f-465b-ae61-623ce1e62afc

Yep, I'm going insane.

Yeah, Realtime Protection has a bug.

Just be glad you didn't zip it before copying it to your PC that's affected: You might run into the issue I had where it quarantined the zip, then extracted it to check it (inside the quarantine) then quarantined it from the quarantine...

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.