Sharkbanz: Magic bracelet not so magic after all.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

“I got this for Christmas,” Zack said, showing us the green plastic band that looks like a watch with no face, “It is a shark band and it was supposed to keep sharks away and the first time I wore it, and I go surfing a lot, but the first time I wore it- I get bit.”

0_1483103156068_upload-45d580ba-0343-4289-a6a2-ef63d928f9df

• sockdevs

Just had a look to see how much these cost: £75. Discourse is less of a rip-off than these things, and you can get that for free!

• @RaceProUK Yeah, but when I tried to install Discourse I got bitten by a shark, which is quite a feat 300m above sea level. Still, 75 quid buys a lot of Elastoplast.

• This is two word replacements away from being an actual Simpsons joke.

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
    Lisa: That’s specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, honey.
    Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this bracelet keeps sharks away.
    Homer: Oh, how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It’s just a stupid bracelet.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don’t see any sharks around, do you?
    [Homer thinks of this, then pulls out some money]
    Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your bracelet.

• sockdevs

@gordonjcp said in Sharkbanz: Magic bracelet not so magic after all.:

I tried to install Discourse I got bitten by a shark

Which makes it exactly as useful as Sharkbanz at repelling sharks :slight_smile:

• Reminded me of this:

The fake "detectors" - sold with spurious but scientific-sounding claims - were little more than empty cases with an aerial which swings according to the user's unconscious hand movements

• @gordonjcp said in Sharkbanz: Magic bracelet not so magic after all.:

@RaceProUK Yeah, but when I tried to install Discourse I got bitten by a shark, which is quite a feat 300m above sea level. Still, 75 quid buys a lot of Elastoplast.

40% of OpenBSD installs lead to shark attacks. It's their only standing security issue.

• The was an article in The Australian newspaper about a month ago about experts trying to get these things properly tested. I guess this was public beta testing?

Also, the article mentioned it was "around $69" but their site only has Sharkbandz 2 for $149 AUD so very expensive for snake shark oil.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.