Seeing the back and choosing not to stab

• Boss is trying to skype an under-performing colleague. He tells me to find him.

Note: I am also annoyed at all the extra work this guy is creating for me. I won't go into details here, but let's just say I won't be sad when I no longer have to collaborate with him in the same code base.

I find him on the terrace, having a smoke. I tell him to get on Skype, then go to report back to the boss. What do I type?

Option 1: "He is taking a smoke break, I told him to ping you once he's done"
    Option 2: "He's coming"

Option 1 was soo tempting. On top of disliking how nonchalant this guy is with his duties, Boss hates smoking. This would nicely undermine the underperformer further towards his inevitable firing.

I went with option 2.

I don't want to become that backstabby Boss's pet guy, no matter how annoyed I am with my colleagues. I can see how easy it would be to slip into that role, though.

This is just a little PSA to get you to always think about your actions towards your colleagues. Even innocent little choices of wordings can lead to the ugliness of office politics.

• I'll probably choose option 3, "He is taking a smoke break, I told him to ping you once he's done"

That'll explain the delay and prevent your boss get mad at you by the waiting.

• @cheong said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

I'll probably choose option 3, "He is taking a break, I told him to ping you once he's done"
    That'll explain the delay and prevent your boss get mad at you by the waiting.

I would also consider that slightly backstabby, as we are officially not supposed to have "breaks" (other than lunch break).

See how easy it is?

• Option 4: "He's wasting company time and he said you could fuck off."

Cat amongst the pigeons.

• "He's putting out a fire at the moment; should be with you shortly."

:trollface:

• mod

@cartman82 said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

we are officially not supposed to have "breaks"

Why do you work there?

• Dupa

@Yamikuronue said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

Why do you work there?

They let him code in JS. Wait, that's not a reason to stay!…

• @Yamikuronue said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

Why do you work there?

Exactly what I think.

Breaks, especially coffee breaks for some of us, is essential to boost up / restore our productivity.

Better persuade your boss to read some modern management books.

• @cartman82 said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

Boss is trying to skype an under-performing colleague. He tells me to find him.

Note: I am also annoyed at all the extra work this guy is creating for me. I won't go into details here, but let's just say I won't be sad when I no longer have to collaborate with him in the same code base.

I find him on the terrace, having a smoke. I tell him to get on Skype, then go to report back to the boss. What do I type?

Option 1: "He is taking a smoke break, I told him to ping you once he's done"
    Option 2: "He's coming"

Option 1 was soo tempting. On top of disliking how nonchalant this guy is with his duties, Boss hates smoking. This would nicely undermine the underperformer further towards his inevitable firing.

:grinning: :imp:

I went with option 2.

:face_palm:
    Why? we were so close to get another juicy interview drama

• @cheong said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

Exactly what I think.
    Breaks, especially coffee breaks for some of us, is essential to boost up / restore our productivity.
    Better persuade your boss to read some modern management books.

To clarify, there is one "official" lunch break, but of course you can make coffee/bathroom/other breaks in between. Also take a walk, or go out early or whatever.

The problem comes when you take a break every half an hour and then go out early, while there's a client yelling over the feature you screwed up and your colleagues have to clean up your mess.

BTW, the under-performer is almost giddy every time there's even a hint there might be a bug in my code. He obviously doesn't appreciate me, as the project leader, cleaning up after him and telling him how to do things correctly (= my way).

Nope, I won't be sad when he's gone. Office politics consumes us all in the end.

• @cartman82 So it should be fine afterall to mention he's taking a break while you told him the boss is finding him.

If he made the boss wait for too long, it's his problem.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@coldandtired said in Seeing the back and choosing not to stab:

Option 4: "He's wasting company time and he said you could fuck off."

Is this a poll?

If it is, can I vote for #4?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.