[Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

I'm really sorry. Please take one for the team, or turn out to be scum...

@vote for @Yamikuronue

• @Yamikuronue has been lynched! Stay tuned for the flip. It is now Night.

• @pydsigner voted for @Yamikuronue in post 1072356

Original input:
    @pydsigner said:

@vote for @Yamikuronue

• And with that, the mob has ruled. Justice will be served, such as it is. @pydsigner pulls out their custom whittled Pipe Pistol, places it against @Yamikuronue's forehead and pulls the trigger.

As the bullet enters @Yamikuronue's forehead the skin peels back to reveal the tell tale green glow of some poor irradiated creature. The light from the glow grows brighter and brighter as the skin pulls further and further back.

"At last… I am free." are the only words @Yamikuronue manages to say before her head explodes, splattering the bystanders with glowing chunks of brain, and a healthy* dose of rads.

The Town Guard move in to clear up the body as everyone tries to get semi-liquified glowing brains out of their hair. Eventually @pydsigner recovers enough to begin the task of searching through @Yamikuronue's belongings.

You are a citizen of Bunker Hill with a dark past. A past that has caught up with you. You must collect enough caps in 7 days or less to buy out your dark past and survive into the next week. The only way you can get that many caps is…. Theft. You will have to steal them from the increasingly paranoid shopkeepers.

---
    You're a **Rolecop**! Each night, you may investigate one player in the game and you will discover their special abilities (if any).

You also have a special power. Years ago you and your partner were bitten by a Legendary Glowing One. Ever since then you have possessed a strange and ethereal link to your partner. Whenever your partner dies your link brings them back to life, but at a terrible cost. You burn a significant portion of your life force resurrecting your partner.

Your past adventures have drained you more than you like…. You estimate that you have enough life force left to resurrect your partner thrice more, and that third time will cost you your very life… And worse you don't have a choice! The link works regardless of whether you want it to or not!

---

You win when you have stolen everything you need to pay off your dark past, or when nothing can prevent the same.

... Well... For once, Blind Justice aimed true, even if her actions are a bit mysterious. But there's no respite, There's still her partner to find… But today is not the time for that as the Town Guard move in and usher everyone outside the market. Time to grab a quick drink from Joe Savoldi's before double checking your security at the shop and calling it a night.

* And by healthy we of course mean very very very unhealthy.

--
    !next-phase

Night will end 2017-01-11 12PM EST

• "!target" doesn't seem to be working now. Please send me your targets (if any) through chat.

• The night was quiet, the sleep restless, and in the morning the Town Guard and the merchants unlocked the market place to witness a horrible sight.

@RaceProUK lay dead on their counter, a knife in their breast, their stomach cut open and entrails strewn about the place.

The thieves took everything @RaceProUK owned, including her life. They wanted to send a grotesque message.
    The Town Guard move in to clear up the body as everyone turns to the unsavory, but less grisly task of searching through @RaceProUK's belongings.

You are a citizen of Bunker Hill. You are just trying to live in relative peace and earn enough caps to retire young enough to have at least a couple of leisure years before the reaper calls for you.

---

You're a **retired cop**! You’ve been a cop for many years, but have finally turned in your badge and gun a few years ago.  You’ve been enjoying your retirement and have full faith in the town’s police force, but should something happen to the current police force, you feel like you can easily fill their shoes.  You have no special powers. Your sword is your vote, your shield is your power of deduction. Choose wisely…

---

You win when all thieves have been delivered to justice.

• @dangeRuss said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

the Town Guard

...wait, we have those? Doesn't seem like they're doing a very good job...

Either way, anybody got any news? Seems like we don't have much time, but perhaps we can spare some of it to wait for intel.

• !list-players

• Player List

Living:

• CreatedToDislikeThis
    • pydsigner
    • djls45
    • Jaloopa
    • Maciejasjmj
    • Vault_Dweller

Mod(s):

• dangeRuss

Well I am certainly glad now that we panic-lynched @Yamikuronue instead of @RaceProUK. What sort of leads are the rest of you drawing from the information I found in the debris of the explosion? It seems to me that there is but one raider left, but I'd like to make sure I'm not jumping to conclusions.

• Created, hearing the commotion, comes from the other side of the market

"Curses! If we didn't press @RaceProUK so hard, she'd have avoided hinting at her vocation, avoiding her demise. You're gone but not forgotten, @RaceProUK. In fact..."

Created rummages around near the bottom of his cart and takes out a bunch of scarves

"Only 70 caps each! Honor @RaceProUK's memory in style!"

• Created turns to the group

"I'm afraid I saw nothing unusual during the night - it looks like the thieves weren't up to their usual petty theft - their goal was probably to assassinate @RaceProUK specifically".

"@pydsigner - I'm afraid I'm as confused as you are. Seems like a bunch of occultist nonsense to me - not sure if we're meant to take it seriously."

"We definitely have one more raider to find. More than one is a remote possibility, too. More likely, there might be another side to this whole mess, but it's probably best to focus on the remaining raider(s) first."

"I'd join in asking if anyone has any information. Even if not, I think cross-referencing Yami's guilt with yesterday's testimony paints quite a clear picture. (I'll elaborate if needed in a bit, let's wait for info first)."

RIP @RaceProUK. Sorry for pushing you and possibly contributing to your murder

@dangeRuss said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

retired cop

She hinted at that.

So, reading between the lines, that might suggest we have actual cops and @RaceProUK was ready to step in if anything happened to them. We don't know if we have a doctor, so follow the cop isn't necessarily a viable tactic.

You also have a special power. Years ago you and your partner were bitten by a Legendary Glowing One. Ever since then you have possessed a strange and ethereal link to your partner. Whenever your partner dies your link brings them back to life

Since @Yamikuronue doesn't seem to be among us, it's safe to assume this power isn't two way. We got very lucky taking her out first

@Jaloopa said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

If one is honest and one is a thief then we can assume either both thieves are in the wagon against the innocent, or one and @Vault_Dweller are.

Does this logic hold up? It seems unlikely that the other thief would have voted for @Yamikuronue. Any fewer votes and we would have stalemated or gone for @RaceProUK. That leaves me, @pydsigner, @CreatedToDislikeThis and @Vault_Dweller as the suspects.

@pydsigner and I agreed to switch to get the lynch through, which would seem to rule us out and leave Created and Vault.

• @Maciejasjmj said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

anybody got any news?

Unfortunately, I didn't see anything that happened.

@pydsigner said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

Well I am certainly glad now that we panic-lynched @Yamikuronue instead of @RaceProUK.

On the other hand, now they're both gone. Maybe the killer thought that the death of someone we collectively thought was innocent would be more likely to scare us into handing over our hard-earned wages?

What sort of leads are the rest of you drawing from the information I found in the debris of the explosion? It seems to me that there is but one raider left, but I'd like to make sure I'm not jumping to conclusions.

That seems consistent with what I saw. It doesn't leave out the possibility of a third party who might try to take advantage of the confusion, but I would agree that it seems there's only one more thief among us.

Hopefully the rays from that burst don't cause us any lasting harm.

OOC:

The thieves took everything @RaceProUK owned ...
    ... everyone turns to the unsavory, but less grisly task of searching through @RaceProUK's belongings.

Apparently we subconsciously know who the remaining villain/-s are; we just need to figure out how to remove our mind-blocks. ;) :P

@CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

Created, hearing the commotion, comes from the other side of the market

"Curses! If we didn't press @RaceProUK so hard, she'd have avoided hinting at her vocation, avoiding her demise. You're gone but not forgotten, @RaceProUK. In fact..."

Created rummages around near the bottom of his cart and takes out a bunch of scarves

"Only 70 caps each! Honor @RaceProUK's memory in style!"

No "je suis @RaceProUK" inscription and you're asking 70 caps? That's highway robbery!

• (did I say "clear picture" before? It appears that was an exaggeration - more of a "interesting picture" - these kinds of things look much more conclusive before they're written out (and hence thought critically about) - soz)

"Well, I've had some time to look at the transcripts of yesterday's events, and @Vault_Dweller stands out as the most suspicious to me:"

My suspicions:

• Here and here Vault refuses to vote for Yami. Now, he is generally a peaceful kinda guy who likes to avoid mislynches, but that may just be a good cover for him - note that he seems to paint Yami as one who's only guilty of voting for Race, whereas there were some rather convincing arguments against her like this.

• Here Yami takes a break from worrying who to lynch to wonder why Vault is under suspicion.

• Here Vault feels the need to add to @Maciejasjmj's analysis that he agrees I'm probably innocent. I see no purpose for this statement other than the hope of scoring brownie caps.

"Now, this is hardly conclusive, but what with everyone else (except me) joining on Yami's bandwagon in situations where not joining would have kept Yami safe... (Before anyone cared about Yami & after it was possible to disappear instead, forcing a no-lynch)"

"On my end - I did bring suspicions of Yami close to day's end here. Hardly conclusive too, but helps my case"

• "To elaborate on everyone else:"

• Here is Macie's vote. He previously brought suspicions against her and now added a very critical third vote, that made Yami's lynch a good competition for Race's.

• Here and here are Jaloopa's and pydsigner's votes, roughly 12 semi-cycles before the market closed, if my merchant's arithmetic is right. A great time for scum to conveniently disappear instead of committing - nobody would've been able to hold them responsible to that if they did.

• Here is djls45's vote. Before this point, the vote against Yami was purely retaliatory. Djls also had a chance to unvote (and did consider doing so here) but didn't. Out of these votes, this is the only one that I'm a bit skeptical about, but not as much as I'm skeptical about Vault.

"That said, don't just listen to me blindly or anything - take a gander through the records yourself (my copy is only 15 caps! A steal!) and let us know if you find any other evidence"

If one is honest and one is a thief then we can assume either both thieves are in the wagon against the innocent, or one and @Vault_Dweller are.

Does this logic hold up? It seems unlikely that the other thief would have voted for @Yamikuronue. Any fewer votes and we would have stalemated or gone for @RaceProUK. That leaves me, @pydsigner, @CreatedToDislikeThis and @Vault_Dweller as the suspects.

@pydsigner and I agreed to switch to get the lynch through, which would seem to rule us out and leave Created and Vault.

That's my immediate instinct as well, but note that @Vault_Dweller was pressured to finalize the lynch of @RaceProUK and refused. Especially considering the apparent power @Yamikuronue had received from this "Glowing One", it would have been foolish to pass up the opportunity to protect an ally and destroy a foe.

However, the unusualness of these events makes me cautious. Perhaps these foul creatures cloaked among us wish for us not to die by our own hands, preventing them from collecting our caps?

Nevertheless, I think @CreatedToDislikeThis must be our prime suspect for now.

• @Jaloopa said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

So, reading between the lines, that might suggest we have actual cops and @RaceProUK was ready to step in if anything happened to them. We don't know if we have a doctor, so follow the cop isn't necessarily a viable tactic.

Wouldn't that require the medic to remain hidden while the cop declares himself or herself? Having the surgeon claim (if we have one) is just counter-productive.

An alternative would be that either you or @pydsigner threw @Yamikuronue under the carriage in order to gain favorable reputation.

@djls45 said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

An alternative would be that either you or @pydsigner threw @Yamikuronue under the carriage in order to gain favorable reputation.

Right, but why would a raider destroy a partner capable of saving their life? It seems like folly to me.

• @pydsigner said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

That's my immediate instinct as well, but note that @Vault_Dweller was pressured to finalize the lynch of @RaceProUK and refused. Especially considering the apparent power @Yamikuronue had received from this "Glowing One", it would have been foolish to pass up the opportunity to protect an ally and destroy a foe.

Hmm.. that's true. However, he is known to like avoiding lynches so he could've felt safer off the bandwagon, perhaps not thinking that the lynch of Yami would truly materialize in that little time left... I certainly didn't expect that.
    I suppose it's best to look closely at others like djls and - unfortunately - me first before committing.

However, the unusualness of these events makes me cautious. Perhaps these foul creatures cloaked among us wish for us not to die by our own hands, preventing them from collecting our caps?

"What do you mean?"

• @pydsigner said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

Right, but why would a raider destroy a partner capable of saving their life? It seems like folly to me.

But would they have known that? We don't know how much initial preparation they were allowed by their creditors.

But would they have known that? We don't know how much initial preparation they were allowed by their creditors.

Apparently they've been adventuring together for years, and have some sort of ethereal bond. I presume they know something about each other's abilities.

Hmm.. that's true. However, he is known to like avoiding lynches so he could've felt safer off the bandwagon, perhaps not thinking that the lynch of Yami would truly materialize in that little time left... I certainly didn't expect that.
    I suppose it's best to look closely at others like djls and - unfortunately - me first before committing.

"What do you mean?"

What would we have done with @RaceProUK's valuables? Distribute them amongst ourselves? I daresay we'd have turned them over to the guards for safekeeping, perhaps making it harder for these beings to seize the caps.

• "I dunno, we searched all over, but couldn't find anything definite on how much caps they needed. It seems to me they just wanted to avoid getting killed before seven days were up, the fact that they would still good amounts of money from us every night seemed to have been a given to them."

"Not that it makes sense to me why seven days specifically - if they were to continue killing a person every day, they'd be done long before the deadline (what with all the cowardlier shopkeeps fleeing), leaving them with all our money whatever they do."

"... On that note, can we even be sure they're the one who killed @RaceProUK or even @dangeRuss? We found no evidence of weapons in our search."

• @CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

still

I meant 'steal', damned homophones!

Well, they're homophones to me - I realize they probably differ my some inaudible vowel length difference.

Here though, is another sort of thought problem — what would have happened had we slain @Yamikuronue's counterpart? Would he simply have returned to life, or would the monster within have sought a new host from among us?

• "If our thieves are akin to a mini-cult, then our investigation wasn't as thorough as I assumed it to be - the information we found doesn't suggest any sort of possession or body-switching going on."

"Why do you think that could be the case?"

"If our thieves are akin to a mini-cult, then our investigation wasn't as thorough as I assumed it to be - the information we found doesn't suggest any sort of possession or body-switching going on."

"Why do you think that could be the case?"

Because I did not consider that part of our evidence. Thanks for the clarification.

• Impossible Mission - B

My main suspects at the moment is @CreatedToDislikeThis, @pydsigner and me. I will exclude myself from the investigation for obvious reasons.

@CreatedToDislikeThis, because he is the only one still alive to have voted for @RaceProUK at the end. However, I will give him the benefit of the doubt this time as I felt he was most likely to be innocent on Day 1

@pydsigner, because seeing that someone switched their vote to @Yamikuronue, to odds that she would be the one to be lynched increased drastically, so the safest play would be to switch as well to confirm himself as innocent.

Some further evidence against him:

He immediately assumed the 2 partners knew about each others abilities, which usually isn't possible on Day 1 when scum don't have day talk. The most likely explanation is that he knew there was a Night 0 and forgot we didn't know (or I missed it in the setup, which I don't think I did)

Here though, is another sort of thought problem — what would have happened had we slain @Yamikuronue's counterpart? Would he simply have returned to life, or would the monster within have sought a new host from among us?

Here he conveniently forgot the laws of nature, possibly to try and throw us off a bit.

At this point in time my vote will be going to @pydsigner, but I would like to here what everyone else has to say.

• @Vault_Dweller said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

He immediately assumed the 2 partners knew about each others abilities, which usually isn't possible on Day 1 when scum don't have day talk. The most likely explanation is that he knew there was a Night 0 and forgot we didn't know (or I missed it in the setup, which I don't think I did)

There's nothing in the setup about that, but it's not unreasonable to assume the other scum's rolecard mentioned their insane resurrection abilities. And with effectively 3-shot deathproof, the actual safe play would be for the other scum to make themselves look scummier than both Yami and RaceProUK combined - even if we managed to lynch them, hammering them until they die would take so much time we'd be at a lost position.

Besides, like @CreatedToDislikeThis mentioned, both @Jaloopa and @pydsigner voted shortly before the deadline. It would be very easy for them to pretend to miss the nightfall and have us not lynch @Yamikuronue in the end.

As such, I'm going to stick to Occam's razor and assume the other villain was not on the lynchwagon - without that assumption, it's nearly impossible to reason further given that the other scum is most likely alone by now. That leaves two suspects, and I'm going to stick with yesterday's suspicions.

@vote for @Vault_Dweller

• You alive?

@vote for @Vault_Dweller

• Impossible Mission - B

@Maciejasjmj Fair point, mostly. . However, if I knew that about the resurrection ability, why didn't I vote for @RaceProUK to save my partner? So:

• Either I'm scum and I didn't know. But why did I not vote for @RaceProUK anyway, as she was at hammer-1? I had plenty of time and was even pressured into doing so. Or;
    • I'm not scum

• @Vault_Dweller or you didn't want to hammer a townie, and decided to gamble. Perhaps you didn't know, perhaps you did but figured that with @RaceProUK at L-1 and so little time there's not enough momentum to keep some townie from hammering anyway.

Hammering @RaceProUK would implicate you both - you for hammering, and @Yamikuronue for getting miraculously saved. That could've simply been too much of a cost for a single townie lynch.

• Impossible Mission - B

@Maciejasjmj Or, using Occam's razor as you suggested, I almost never lynch on Day 1

Be that as it may, my number one suspect is still @pydsigner, with @CreatedToDislikeThis a close second with my reasons previously stated.

• @Vault_Dweller said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

@pydsigner, because seeing that someone switched their vote to @Yamikuronue, to odds that she would be the one to be lynched increased drastically, so the safest play would be to switch as well to confirm himself as innocent.

Note that even before voting for Yami, here @pydsigner said he'll switch to @Yamikuronue after @Jaloopa asked him (also 13 minutes before the deadline).
    That was already a Yami-killing move as him-as-thief would know Jaloopa would indeed switch and their combined two votes would execute Yami.
    Could he really have been that dastardly? It's not impossible, of course, but I really don't see any convincing evidence that links him and the thieves.

@Vault_Dweller said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

"Huh? It's entirely possible (even likely) that his pre-existing knowledge included that."

"Now, what's up with the voting noticeboard? Looks like some kid grafitti'd the hell out of it! Let's see if it cleans up.."
    !list-players

• Sigh... Looks like our noticeboard is beyond repair. Only the spirit of @dangeRuss, who maintained and cared for this noticeboard in life, can save us now!

• Impossible Mission - B

Note that even before voting for Yami, here @pydsigner said he'll switch to @Yamikuronue after @Jaloopa asked him (also 13 minutes before the deadline).
    That was already a Yami-killing move as him-as-thief would know Jaloopa would indeed switch and their combined two votes would execute Yami.
    Could he really have been that dastardly? It's not impossible, of course, but I really don't see any convincing evidence that links him and the thieves.

Point taken. I missed this post in my analysis:

But if one is a thief and the other is not, well, @Yamikuronue and @RaceProUK are already voting for each other. I think you make a good point, and it might be worth lynching either of them just to get a good target for tomorrow...

As you said, it could be a dastardly move, or a ploy to get people to vote for @RaceProUK, but I agree it is not very convincing.

"Now, what's up with the voting noticeboard? Looks like some kid grafitti'd the hell out of it! Let's see if it cleans up.."

I think the only vote so far is @maciejasjmj voting for me.

• !list-votes

• Votecount for Day 2

Vault_Dweller (1): Maciejasjmj
    Not Voting (5): CreatedToDislikeThis, Jaloopa, Vault_Dweller, pydsigner, djls45

With 6 playing, it's 4 to lynch!

• I will join the vote, then.

We're now only ''two'' votes away from a lynch now. I by no means want an early lynch, but I do want to hear what Vault has to say for himself under more pressure.

@vote for @Vault_Dweller

@Vault_Dweller is my top suspect at the moment too, but I don't want to put him on L-1

• Impossible Mission - B

I do want to hear what Vault has to say for himself under more pressure.

Haven't I said enough already?

To summarise:

• I had ample opportunity to vote for @RaceProUK but didn't
    • I usually don't lynch on Day 1, including now when I felt there wasn't enough evidence to warrant a vote for either suspect.
    • Anything else you need?

I had ample opportunity to vote for @RaceProUK but didn't

I usually don't lynch on Day 1

The latter kind of counters the former. It would be scummy for you to break character and vote

• Impossible Mission - B

@Jaloopa Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Scummy to break character, but scummy to drop the hammer on a townie

@Vault_Dweller :wifom:

Really, the two obvious people are you and @CreatedToDislikeThis, and I really don't think Created is a thief

• Impossible Mission - B

Really, the two obvious people are you and @CreatedToDislikeThis

@Jaloopa Unfortunately I have to agree with you there. I'm just trying to justify my actions. I would have looked scummy no matter what I did, except voting for @Yamikuronue, whom I felt was just a retaliation by @RaceProUK, so out of my 3 options it would have been the last one on my list anyway.

Really, my thought process at the time was not "what would be the best way to vote to make me look innocent", nor "I never vote on day 1, I shouldn't do so again", but more "I don't believe either of them are innocent, so I will rather not vote".

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.