[Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread

• [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread

• The rules

1. If by some miracle you’re able to post in this thread and aren’t a living player, do not post and report the situation to me. If you want to comment on the ongoing game or berate a player for being an idiot, PM me to apply to the official peanut gallery.
    2. Important: do not report posts in any faction/private thread. There are moderators playing, and reporting a post makes it visible to them regardless of permissions. Summon one of the site administrators instead.
    3. When in doubt, ask questions via PM. I may or may not answer depending on the nature of the question, but you can be sure all communication via chat will be kept private.
    4. Each player should have obtained a role card via PM. The role card contains:
      a. Your flavor role, or “position”.
      b. Your power role (if any)
      c. Your factional allegiance. You’re probably better off not sharing that.
    5. You are not allowed to quote your Role PM directly, or any other private communication with me for that matter. You can paraphrase it, you can make things up about your role, you can invent a role, but you can’t post a quote from your role card. There will be a publicly visible example of a role card of this game’s analogue of Vanilla Townie.
      A. Flavor role part is excluded from this rule.
    6. You’re heavily encouraged to save your Role PM outside of the chat. NodeBB’s private messaging system is… not suited for long-time storage.
    7. This is a non-bastard game. A full role PM will be revealed upon death unless otherwise specified, and the GM will not lie to you, deceive you, give you up, let you down, run around and desert you.
    8. This is a flavor game. There’s no guarantee that commonly-known Mafia terminology will be used.
    9. You can quit the game at any time, either by PM or by public announcement. Abuse of this mechanism to gain advantage will have severe consequences.
    10. Do not edit, bookmark or like posts. You shouldn’t be able to, but if you manage to find a clever way to do it anyway, Club Ded will not be amused.
    11. Do not contact other players or Club Ded members outside of threads marked for this purpose, and do not discuss the game anywhere but in those threads. The Big Brother watches you.
    12. Do not encrypt, obfuscate or alter your posts, or use content which can be altered (outside-hosted images, oneboxes, etc.). Report all posts which infringe this rule via a PM to me.
    13. Do not post during the time between end of day lynch and receiving the lynch results. This rule applies to all threads, not just the main thread.
    14. You have to post in the main thread once every 24 hours. And no, if for some reason I don’t do an attendance count on a given day, you’re not off the hook. Don’t gamble with the GM.
    15. Scum do NOT have Daytalk.
    16. Night actions are NOT mandatory.

• Things have been quiet here on Bunker Hill for a while. After the fall of the government, the people have resorted to using bottle caps for currency, as with no new bottle production the supply was limited. The caravans have been coming through regularly, and the raiders have been kept at bay by the wall and the guards. Indeed the town has blossomed into a trading hub for the entire commonwealth, and has attracted a wide variety of traders… and other, less savory, individuals.

See, lately the local merchants have been having their cap stashes raided at night. Whoever's doing it never steals from the same person twice in a row and they usually only take a dozen or so caps at a time, probably in an attempt to keep the theft from being noticed.

But now that the thefts have been getting noticed and the merchants have been working on protecting their hard earned caps, the thieves have been getting more and more brazen. The thefts have been getting larger, and items in the shops are getting broken.

After several days of this, one of the merchants decided to spend the night in their stall to catch the thieves in the act and bring them to justice. @dangeRuss stayed behind at the market at closing time, vowing not to rest until the thieves were caught.

The night was quiet, and in the morning the town guard and the merchants unlocked the market place to witness a horrible sight.

@dangeRuss lay dead on his counter, a knife in his breast, blood dripping down his empty stall. The thieves took everything, including his life.

This is the commonwealth, and there aren't much in the way of laws and such, but there is justice, of a sort. There is justice to be met out here, but on whom must the axe fall? Who is guilty of this murder most foul?

• Vote Bot Instructions

This will be a bot assisted game, Please see below for the syntax for managing your votes and for querying information about the current game.

MafiaBot Commands

MafiaBot commands are as follows:

• Vote: @vote for @player or !vote @player
    • Unvote: @vote unvote, !unvote @player
    • No Lynch: @vote no-lynch or !no-lynch
    • List votes: @vote list-votes or !list-votes
    • Show living players: @vote list-players or !list-players
    • Show all players: @vote list-all-players or !list-all-players

Note that MafiaBot commands must be on their own lines. Commands on the same line as other text will either be ignored or incorrectly processed.

You may submit your night actions (if any) through the chat using

!target player

Please contact me if this doesn't work.

• Day 1 will end Monday, January 9 at 12 noon EST time.

• Alas, poor @dangeRuss. Trying to stake out thieves with seemingly nothing but a stall for cover might not have been the smartest thing to do in this desolated wasteland, but it is still a shame to see the fellow trader's life taken away so brutally.

Now, has anyone, by any chance, seen anything last night?

• sockdevs

@RaceProUK enters the market area whistling a refreshing ditty, a ditty that stops short when she sees the bloodied corpse of @dangeRuss, the knife embedded in his ribcage like a kebab skewer through vegetables, her mood switching from cautious optimism to heartfelt grief in an instant. Shaking slightly, she sets the box of animal figurines she carved last night onto her stall, and walks up to the murder scene, halting at the edge of the slowly expanding pool of blood.

"Such a senseless act, committed against someone who was only trying to help us…"

A moment later, she realises @Maciejasjmj asked an important question.

"No, I didn't see anything last night: I was at home all night, carving stuff to sell today."

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Maciejasjmj I saw a few caravans arriving, but otherwise I was fast asleep

• Created, seeing a commotion in the market square, moves his cart to it and begins trying to interest the onlookers in his value-add collection

"Ah, Mr. @Maciejasjmj, could I interest you in some rhyming oranges? I have a special on anachronism-powered sunglasses too, be your own trendsetter!"

"Ah, Mr. @dangeRuss, you seem a bit under the weather. Can I interest you in some placebo-brand snake oil?"

"Well, what do you say @dangeRuss? Be a team-player!"

"He's sleeping, isn't he? I'll go find some other valued customer".

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

"Hey @dangeRuss, did you keep your caps safe tonight or did you fall asleep again?"

" @dangeRuss?!??!"

"Cursed thieves, this is personal now."

• Created, after selling some decidedly-not-roses to a blind person, circles back to the square

"Hey hey what's going on here anyway? Am I being kept out of the loop again?!"

"He's dead, you brillant merchant", Created hears from someone in the crowd. At least, he's pretty sure that's what he heard.

"What? Dead?! Well that's just like ol' @dangeRuss, isn't it!" Created takes a more careful look at the situation "Murdered? I'll avenge you @dangeRuss! I'll avenge you by peddling twice as hard!"

"Say, Mr. @pydsigner, can I interest you in these stylish black cowls? Perfect for grieving or brooding!"

• BINNED

where's my shopping list? I know I had it when I came out. I wanted a new lens for my telescope, and I could do with some food for tonight.

What? @dangeRuss has been killed? What did he sell again? Do I need anything from his stall?

Sorry, that sounds really callous. We need to find who did this and stop them. I just wish I had some information to help the investigation

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Yamiko's face is hard as she stares at the scene. Her eyes glisten with the first hint of tears, but she pushes them back as she turns to the assembled crowd.

We have to find whoever did this. This ends. Right here, right now, this ends. Even if I have to string up every last one of ya. This madness... it cannot continue.

Who has information?

• djls45 pulls into the square with his cart, listens to the commotion, and hears of last night's goings-on.

Aw, almonds and filberts! Such a terrible thing to happen to such a nice chap. Why, I was just coming into town to give him his regular shave. He always tipped me well for it, saying he enjoyed his clean look (though perhaps it was his wife... er, widow... who liked it more).

@Maciejasjmj, I only saw the road in front of me as I traveled into town, ending my circuit to the nearby towns. Mine might have been one of those that @Vault_Dweller saw.

@Yamikuronue, I can't say that I know anything relating to who killed him. I'm not sure I would be able to help with catching these murderous thieves other than your proposal to hang people until we find them all.

On a bit of a lighter note, @CreatedToDislikeThis, might you have come into a bit of genuine bear grease that I could buy? Making the hair appear to shine seems to be coming into fashion, and my supply is running low.
    Here djls45 switches to a stage whisper: (I've even heard that some believe that it can help regrow hair that has fallen out.)

• The Town Guard finally come to clear up @dangeRuss's body as everyone turns to the unsavory, but less grisly task of searching through his belongings.

You are a citizen of Bunker Hill. You are just trying to live in relative peace and earn enough caps to retire young enough to have at least a couple of leisure years before the reaper calls for you.
    You have no special powers. Your sword is your vote, your shield is your power of deduction. Choose wisely…
    You win when all thieves have been delivered to justice.

• sockdevs

Thankful that the body of @dangeRuss has been cleared away, @RaceProUK takes a deep breath to calm herself. While she stops shaking, she can't help but fiddle with her red scarf.

"@Yamikuronue is right: we need to end this before too many more are lost."

Her eyes turn to @CreatedToDislikeThis.

"You seem awfully keen to sell those cowls: where were you last night?"

OOC: It seems having a quote mark before a @‍mention prevents it becoming a @‍mention.

So.... anybody up for a game of caravan?

• I suppose our mental abilities are better put to work elsewhere. Like discovering @dangeRuss' killers, for instance.

Unfortunately, I've seen nothing last night as well, and it appears that people - well, some people at least - are more interested in a quick coin than the safety of the place.

• sockdevs

"We can't discount the possibility someone may have been harbouring a grudge against him."

• BINNED

@RaceProUK Occam's razor suggests we shouldn't give that too much credence.

1. We know that there are thieves operating
    2. We know @dangeRuss camped out last night specifically looking for them
    3. We know he was killed and all of his wares were stolen.

The obvious conclusion is that the criminals we already ave evidence for have moved on to murder

• sockdevs

"It could have been someone wanting to... remove the competition, as it were."

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

If @dangeRuss was on the hunt, did he have a suspect?

I agree that @CreatedToDislikeThis is acting very oddly given the circumstances. Explain yourself.

• @CreatedToDislikeThis may be odd, but I doubt that's necessarily an indication of his being a thief. On the other hand, I find @Maciejasjmj's vague accusation to be slightly more disconcerting, since we do still have to put food on our tables, and hawking our wares, though perhaps irrelevant to our search, is our proper method of income.

• @djls45 said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

On the other hand, I find @Maciejasjmj's vague accusation to be slightly more disconcerting, since we do still have to put food on our tables, and hawking our wares, though perhaps irrelevant to our search, is our proper method of income.

And yet, I can't help but feel uneasy when peddling vendor trash is distracting us from the more pressing matters. It's going to take a while before we starve - much longer than to catch a knife in our gut for the troubles.

Of course, it doesn't go far in figuring out the culprits - but it does seem like we all have a problem with focusing on the investigation.

• This is a regularly scheduled run of the Mafia Player Interaction Enforcement System. Important information will follow this tone.

*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP*

The following players have not posted in 24 hours or more:

This concludes this run of the Mafia Player Interaction Enforcement System.

All players who have earned tardy player penalties will be receiving their punishment details via private chat shortly.

OOC: I've been waiting for the other players to show up, but I guess we all have at this point. Sorry about that, I've been keeping up with the conversation but there's just nothing happening yet.

• OOC: Whoof, sorry for the 24 hour thing - I didn't have much to add in the morning (as that was still the introductions) and I wasn't able to respond again until now.

@RaceProUK said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

Her eyes turn to @CreatedToDislikeThis.
    "You seem awfully keen to sell those cowls: where were you last night?"

"They're good cowls, have no doubt! Protect you against weather, nature drops, neck leeches, and all while maximizing your marketability!"

"Last night? I was sleeping at the inn. Don't think I heard much, except the occasional vomiting ne'er-do-well."

@Yamikuronue said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

I agree that @CreatedToDislikeThis is acting very oddly given the circumstances. Explain yourself.

"@dangeRuss was a merchant after my own heart. He'd understand, we must profit as we grieve - the thieves can take our prized possessions, they can even take our lives - but they must never take our metchant's spirit, or all is lost!"

"Of course, we can hardly stop our dastardly thief infection by trade alone. I'll do all I can to help the investigation."

Created examines the people surrounding him and beings contemplating on their actions and motivations

• Created racks those brains of his

"Humm... deciding to find those thieves is good and well but since we can't invade the privacy of someone's home to check their allegiance (lest our gracious mayor has a fit), our choices are few.. Perhaps we can try and apply some pressure to each other and see if anything shakes loose? I'm not saying we'll be getting confessions that way, but at least we may get some useful information..."

"... @Vault_Dweller - you've been awfully quiet. You appear to be fond of caravans? I do have these fine wagon covers for sell. Interested? Say, what are your thoughts of the thefts we were having? Got any suspects?"

--

Created, at a later date, suddenly pipes up

"Oh, and @djls45, I almost forgot!" Created takes out a bottle with some bronze-ish liquid "Gives your hair back that lustrous shine. Gets rid of acne. Cures diarrhea. It's a miracle there's anything this little bottle can't do! Yours for only 200 caps!"

• sockdevs

@CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

"They're good cowls, have no doubt! Protect you against weather, nature drops, neck leeches, and all while maximizing your marketability!"

"I don't want a cowl. Besides, I look fabulous already, thanks to this scarf!"

"Last night? I was sleeping at the inn. Don't think I heard much, except the occasional vomiting ne'er-do-well."

Remains silent.

"... @Vault_Dweller - you've been awfully quiet. You appear to be fond of caravans? I do have these fine wagon covers for sell. Interested? Say, what are your thoughts of the thefts we were having? Got any suspects?"

Awaits @Vault_Dweller's response with interest.

OOC:

Whoof

Bad puppy!

• There will be no penalties for missed check-in -- this time. Any further missed check-ins may result in being fed to the Super Mutant Behemoth!

• @CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

Yours for only 200 caps!

Pffft! I know you know it's only worth 150; but since you've been such a good supplier in the past, I'll give you 180 for it.
    djls45 offers a small bag that jingles slightly.
    ... Although, are you sure your greed hasn't gotten the better of you? Like, say, enough to murder for it?

I do have these fine wagon covers for sell. Interested? Say, what are your thoughts of the thefts we were having? Got any suspects?"

I was referring more to the game.

Unfortunately no suspects, it is too early. I will obviously be keeping my eyes open though

• @djls45 said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

djls45 offers a small bag that jingles slightly.

"Deal. A pleasure doing business transactions with you. Spread it on your hair every day." Created gives @djls45 the bottle while looking pleased with himself

... Although, are you sure your greed hasn't gotten the better of you? Like, say, enough to murder for it?

"Ah, murder is just for sour barbarians who hadn't learned to communicate any other way. Theft too. When I want something, I trade for it."

@Vault_Dweller said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

I was referring more to the game.

"That sounds delightfully anachronistic. Say, Mr. @Vault_Dweller, can I interest you in this multimedia entertainment device?" Created holds out a queer-looking black square "Batteries not included".

Unfortunately no suspects, it is too early. I will obviously be keeping my eyes open though

"Oh sure, I don't expect you to point at someone and say "this guy's obviously a thief!". But surely you have processed your surroundings and have something intelligent to say about some of us? Some behaviours that lead you to suspicion? Some behaviours that bolstered your trust? If we all just play it square with "No suspects. Too early. Try again later", we won't get anywhere."

" 'fact, looking around, I see a lot of cowardly merchants around. If they'll abandon us, we'll have too few numbers to deal with the thieves with any success."

• sockdevs

"If we don't start figuring out who could have murdered @dangeRuss, we may regret it. I can only speak for myself, but I'd prefer not to lose sleep tonight worrying if I'll wake up dead in the morning."

• BINNED

!list-players

Player List

Living:

• Yamikuronue
    • Maciejasjmj
    • djls45
    • Vault_Dweller
    • pydsigner
    • RaceProUK
    • Jaloopa
    • CreatedToDislikeThis

Mod(s):

• dangeRuss

But surely you have processed your surroundings and have something intelligent to say about some of us?

All I have managed to gather so far is a lot of hustling and bustling by people, so to speak. None of it seems very suspicious to me.

Trying to make a profit from other people's misfortune has never been a crime last time I checked, and that has been the most suspicious thing to me so far.

• BINNED

At the moment, there are a few people sticking out but not really raising my suspicions, and two who I think we should be pressing a bit more.

@Yamikuronue and @Maciejasjmj both started by asking if anyone had seen anything. Probably just vague hopes since we all agreed to stay home last night in case it scared off the people @dangeRuss was watching for.

@CreatedToDislikeThis has drawn some attention for focusing more on his inventory than tracking down the murderer, but life must go on and snake oil must be sold to gullible people.

@Vault_Dweller has been too quiet to get any sort of read off, as has @pydsigner. I'd like to hear more from both of you.

Now, on to my, for want of a better word, suspects.

@RaceProUK, you appeared to immediately try to muddy the waters with a suggestion that it might not be the thieves but someone with a grudge. Do you know why someone may have had a grudge against @dangeRuss? Was it perhaps you?

@djls45, you've said nothing to suggest a motive, but as our barber you have access to various scissors and razors. Is it too much of a stretch to think you might have some knives? Maybe like the one in poor @dangeRuss's chest? Do you have an alibi for last night? You also appear to have a lot of caps to spend on obviously fake hair tonic, and admitted to paying over the odds. Do you maybe have a bit more cash floating around than you're used to? Maybe some ill gotten gains?

• @RaceProUK said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

"If we don't start figuring out who could have murdered @dangeRuss, we may regret it. I can only speak for myself, but I'd prefer not to lose sleep tonight worrying if I'll wake up dead in the morning."

"Oh, certainly. But isn't that what we've already transitioned into doing? Do you have anything to contribute yourself?" Created squints at @RaceProUK, stroking his chin

All I have managed to gather so far is a lot of hustling and bustling by people, so to speak. None of it seems very suspicious to me.
    Trying to make a profit from other people's misfortune has never been a crime last time I checked, and that has been the most suspicious thing to me so far.

"If you're going to focus on misdemeanors, you're gonna catch a misdemeanist. Assuming the thieves aren't dumb enough to try to steal or murder in broad daylight, we're going to have to try and zoom in on who's acting most to benefit the thieves and least to benefit legit commerce."

@Jaloopa said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

a suggestion that it might not be the thieves but someone with a grudge

Now that you mention it, this is very interesting. @RaceProUK might know something we don't, but it doesn't necessarily make them scum. Might well be some valuable intel...

• sockdevs

@RaceProUK, you appeared to immediately try to muddy the waters with a suggestion that it might not be the thieves but someone with a grudge. Do you know why someone may have had a grudge against @dangeRuss? Was it perhaps you?

"Being a thief and holding a grudge aren't mutually exclusive. Besides, why would I murder one of my best customers? Not exactly a sound business decision."

"Oh, certainly. But isn't that what we've already transitioned into doing? Do you have anything to contribute yourself?"

"A sense of justice and a desire not to be the next one found dead."

@RaceProUK might know something we don't, but it doesn't necessarily make them scum.

"I know lots of things others don't e.g. the gestation period of female hedgehogs, though I'm not sure how relevant that is at this moment."

• BINNED

@RaceProUK said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

one of my best customers

So a lot of the stock that was stolen had come from you originally? That would make it easy to hide among your own possessions. You'd have sold it at a profit and still have it to sell again.

What is it you sell anyway?

The above by @RaceProUK is a good example of talking a lot but not saying much

• sockdevs

What is it you sell anyway?

"Animal figurines."

• BINNED

@RaceProUK oh yes. You did say.

• @RaceProUK said in [Run Townie Run Mafia] Game Thread:

"A sense of justice and a desire not to be the next one found dead."

"And what does your sense of justice tell you? Nobody expects you to solve the case, but surely you can try to actually help?"

• BINNED

@RaceProUK is being rather fluffy, and not coming out with any compelling arguments yet. Lets see what happens with a little extra... pressure

!vote @RaceProUK

@Jaloopa voted for @RaceProUK in post 1070740

Original input:
    @Jaloopa said:

!vote @RaceProUK

• BINNED

!list-votes

I'm not sure how many we need for a lynch

Votecount for Day 1

RaceProUK (1): Jaloopa
    Not Voting (7): RaceProUK, djls45, Vault_Dweller, CreatedToDislikeThis, Maciejasjmj, pydsigner, Yamikuronue

With 8 playing, it's 5 to lynch!

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.