Shareable design

• BINNED

@cartman82 said in Shareable design:

Snapchat on your lawn

pfff already done ... get on with the times!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

You guys are just grumpy

Quite sufficient right there.

• area_can

The onboarding

TIL there's an onboarding. wayyyyy back when I installed it, it pretty much just said 'hit this to take a picture, swipe here to look at your friends'

• kills Dumbledore

The article is 100% right. Intentionally or not, Snapchat's interface IS (at least partly) the secret behind its success.

I've never used the app, my reaction is just based on the article. Sounds like it might have a point, but it's apparently written really badly since it just came across as "no, the bad interface is good"

• @Bort said in Shareable design:

@TimeBandit said in Shareable design:

You @accalia'd some word there

Oh, mess, spanks for pruning that owl two pee.

I went slack band Brexit.

I haven't been keeping up on the Doktor band circuit. Are Brexit any good, or do they just scream a lot and say "Bob!" every once in a while to remind people that they aren't Cannibal Corpse? πŸ‡πŸ» πŸ‘Ύ

Filed Under: We need some SubG and Discordian emojis, maybe a Sacred Chao and a Dobbshead, or maybe a 'frop pipe (and a Magritte style not-a-pipe, too) and a golden apple.

• area_can

You guys are just grumpy that kids are using Snapchat on your lawn.

to be honest, while i don't like how snapchat's interface works (having to swipe for literally everything means you accidentally open menus and stuff too frequently), my main annoyance with it is just how shit it is.

• I've been using the android version for about 4 years and it seems like with every release they introduce an extra 100ms pause at the start, so the app is basically frozen for the first 5 seconds at this point.
    • the image quality is absolute garbage compared to my phone's camera app
    • focusing is completely broken
    • exposure compensation is ass-backwards. try tapping on something dark in the scene and it'll make your image DARKER. try tapping on something bright and it'll make it brighter.
    • in terms of responsiveness, the interface is similar to Discourse on an Android phone. from 2008.

it's just really weird to see the them focusing on adding features no one needs (money transfer over snapchat??) when there are so many clear deficiencies in the app. >:c

• @bb36e said in Shareable design:

I've been using the android version for about 4 years and it seems like with every release they introduce an extra 100ms pause at the start, so the app is basically frozen for the first 5 seconds at this point.

TIL this app is more than 4 years old.

I thought it kind of just exploded this or last year.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@bb36e said in Shareable design:

TIL there's an onboarding

• @Bort said in Shareable design:

@flabdablet That's a problem with unresponsive device/software that queues up events, not touch screens themselves. Same kind of thing can happen with a keyboard or mouse.

@flabdablet said in Shareable design:

natural tendency is to PRESS HARDER

This experience of yours would only say something about touchscreens specifically if you, like, pushed your finger through the screen or something.

Frankly, the sweet old lady I was helping out the other day - who has been forced to buy a "smart" phone to replace her busted flip phone, because who sells flip phones any more? - could not have given fewer shits why her shiny new Samsung toy was encouraging her to PRESS HARDER with its wildly inconsistent response times.

All she knew was that sometimes she touched things and the sensible thing happened, while other times she touched the same things and bizarre unexpected things happened. She was completely unaware of the difference between the finger actions she was actually supplying to the touchscreen. Wasn't obvious to me either until I looked really closely at what she was doing.

Also, capacitive touch screens are apparently not terribly responsive to dry old lady fingertips at the best of times. Getting her to dab with the pad of her finger instead of tap with the fingertip in a genteel fashion is still an ongoing project.

This isn't an idiot either. She's been using a desktop computer with complete success and a moderately good record for self-solving odd issues since approximately forever.

• @Yamikuronue said in Shareable design:

There was more onboarding when I tried to mess with filters and funny overlays. Overall, I think I figured out the entire app in like 10 minutes.

Maybe millennials are stupid that they need someone to show them how it's done.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@flabdablet said in Shareable design:

Also, capacitive touch screens are apparently not terribly responsive to dry old lady fingertips at the best of times. Getting her to dab with the pad of her finger instead of tap with the fingertip in a genteel fashion is still an ongoing project.

Yeah, I have a resistive screen in my truck, and it's basically the exact opposite: Use your finger like a pen, fingernail is preferred if you can. Otherwise, expect your mouse-click to go wild at least 40% of the time.

• kills Dumbledore

TIL this app is more than 4 years old.
    I thought it kind of just exploded this or last year.

It first got some notoriety as a picture messaging service with the gimmick that the images were deleted after a time the sender defined, so it became quite popular for sexting. As soon as literally everybody realised that even the shortest period was long enough to take a screenshot, that aspect seems to have been quietly deemphasised. I though it had dies but now it seems to be some sort of social network with filters and shit

• @anonymous234 Yeah, but that was actually a good idea because, most obviously, they sold another product out of it. But more importantly because Nintendo understood their audience. In the NES days, it took dedication to beat video games thanks to difficulty making up for short game length due to limited space. If you are dedicated enough to actually want to beat your games, then you're probably dedicated enough to subscribe to a magazine about games that gives you tips on beating them (or share a friend's).

Whereas... the Snapchat developers believe their users will be dedicated enough to figure out their interface because... what, peer pressure? I guess that works for some people. And they aren't really gaining anything from making their interface hard to figure out.