Upvoting UI on replies

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

Hm, I thought there was a reported issue that was similar to this (though a different net problem), but I can't find it at this point.

0_1481215930561_upload-ac4057dd-a124-4077-bca8-3e2e05bf3205

• Currently, if I click on the "upvote" for Arantor's reply post via the expanded "Replies" sub-area, nothing occurs.
    • If I click on the "downvote" for the reply post, the post is downvoted.
    • After the post is downvoted, I can revoke the downvote by clicking on either the upvote or downvote buttons.
    • If i navigate to the actual post and upvote it, the post immediately shows as upvoted in the "Replies" sub-area, and I can revoke the upvote by clicking on either the upvote or downvote buttons.

My recollection of the previous issue was that clicking "upvote" on one of the "Replies" section posts would upvote both the reply post and the original post it was in reply to. Given the nature of this behavior, I would suspect that the current issue is a side effect of the "fix" for the last issue. Unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful in trying to locate any sort of bug report or commit log for the previous behavior, so I may be mis-remembering and/or Smoking the Good Stuff(tm).

@izzion
    My thoughts as far as the replies section go...

• Do the action buttons even make sense for the reply? Should they be omitted or even replaced with a "go to this post" button? (Yes, I realize you can click the usual post permalink to jump down)
    • WDDD?
    • Hm, but having a different set of buttons in the bottom right would break muscle memory and be confusing. Probably be better to either have the buttons in the bottom right be working as they are in normal posts, or remove them altogether.
    • For that matter, they're probably hooking into the normal "display post" method anyway... though then why are the upvote buttons behaving differently...?

@izzion said in Upvoting UI on replies:

WDDD?

Currently: not show it at all

0_1481218838283_upload-e3e51e47-530d-4e45-a02b-5fdd9ce00201

• FoxDev

@Yamikuronue said in Upvoting UI on replies:

urrently: not show it at all

the million dollar question: what will they do next week for likes?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Do the action buttons even make sense for the reply?

Yes, they do. If I expand out a bunch of replies, and laugh at some of them, I want to upvote right away. Not navigate to 5 different replies across multiple pages/jellypotatoes-- and back to the original post and back to replies and back and forth.

If you're going to have all the replies in a nice isolated container, then let the user interact with them.

@Yamikuronue
    I don't think they've ever shown a "See posts in reply to this post" for immediate neighbor posts?

From https://meta.discourse.org/t/effective-complex-1-month-long-contest-goal-actively-develop-selected-categories-and-share-its-topics-in-the-internet/53738, it looks like they opt for suppressing the bottom/right action buttons on in-reply-to posts:

0_1481219001367_upload-f642493f-c5ab-4f0f-b990-532f62257569

Edit: More completely, if post #50 replies to post #49, I don't think they track it as a "reply to post #49" at all. They wind up giving it the same UI as if post #50 replies to the thread (no in reply to post #49 arrow). Though as I was typing this I tried to see if they use a "in reply to post X" arrow anywhere and the one thread I skimmed through trying to see whether they used the in reply arrow didn't have any replies that were both for a post more than 1 post away and did not include any quoted text from the OP. So I don't even really remember what their UI does...

And I more asked it out of the tongue-in-cheek "we should do it the other way" anyway :P

• :belt_onion:

@Lorne-Kates said in Upvoting UI on replies:

Do the action buttons even make sense for the reply?

Yes, they do. If I expand out a bunch of replies, and laugh at some of them, I want to upvote right away. Not navigate to 5 different replies across multiple pages/jellypotatoes-- and back to the original post and back to replies and back and forth.

If you're going to have all the replies in a nice isolated container, then let the user interact with them.

Especially if there's no easy way to navigate to them without scrolling through the page.

I'd even be a fan of having "Replies" buttons on the popout replies, so you can navigate the whole thread, like Discourse did (kinda).

• @izzion If I upvote your original post, then click Upvote on the expanded reply post, it does nothing. If I remove the upvote from your original post, then the Upvote button on the expanded reply post works -- and it works correctly.

So when the code was adjusted to make the upvote button work correctly on an expanded post, it still has something like if(!already_upvoted) that's referring back to the original post instead of the reply.

@anotherusername
    Huh, good catch. Didn't even think about testing that leg of the case.

I guess that's why QA is best left to the professionals like @Yamikuronue 😼