That's generally where you want your errors, yes.

• Garbage Person

0_1479134529286_rps20161114_094111.jpg
    At the DMV getting license plates for my new toy.

This is what passes for the "Now serving number X at counter y" screen today.

• @Weng said in That's generally where you want your errors, yes.:

This is what passes for the "Now serving number X at counter y" screen today.

I like that somehow we still regularly fail at making computers do the incredibly complex task of "show a predefined message with some words or numbers occasionally changing".

• @anonymous234 it's doing that just fine, it has a predefined message that starts with "Error"

Oh, you meant the correct predefined message?

• @anonymous234 said in That's generally where you want your errors, yes.:

I like that somehow we still regularly fail at making computers do the incredibly complex task of "show a predefined message with some words or numbers occasionally changing".

I am indeed amazed at the amount of computing power that is wasted for failing such trivial tasks...

In our break-rooms, we have big TV screens showing some company-wide announcements, social club events etc. Litterally doing nothing more than running a PowerPoint slideshow on a loop. Yet they are powered by the same uber-machines as our standard desktops: when someone asked an IT guy, he said that they have tons in store, they have a standard image for them, so it's a huge overkill but this way they don't have to maintain a separate setup. Fair enough... And for all that, the screens quite often get stuck for days displaying the latest error or update message... so much for "easier to maintain"!

• Java Dev

@remi My dad is a train driver. In their break room (IIRC) they used to have a couple of screens with information on delayed trains. These practically always worked, which may be related to the fact it was just a TV tuned to teletext page 751/752.

I don't know if they still have those screens though - those pages got discontinued last year.

• @PleegWat said in That's generally where you want your errors, yes.:

I don't know if they still have those screens though - those pages got discontinued last year.

They probably use a smartphone app now. (One of my friends is a traffic controller at ProRail, and if I’m over at his place and there’s some question about whether the trains run on time, he checks his phone. I’ve never looked, so it could be be just uses the NS app, but I get the impression he has access to more info than that provides.)