[Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread

1. If by some miracle you’re able to post in this thread and aren’t a living player, do not post and report the situation to me. If you want to comment on the ongoing game or berate a player for being an idiot, PM me to apply to the official peanut gallery.
    2. Important: do not report posts in any faction/private thread. There are moderators playing, and reporting a post makes it visible to them regardless of permissions. Summon one of the site administrators instead.
    3. When in doubt, ask questions via PM. I may or may not answer depending on the nature of the question, but you can be sure all communication via chat will be kept private.
    4. Each player should have obtained a role card via PM. The role card contains:
    • Your factional allegiance.
    • One or more of your in-game roles.
    1. You are not allowed to quote your Role PM directly, or any other private communication with me for that matter. You can paraphrase it, you can make things up about your role, you can invent a role, but you can’t post a quote from your role card. There will be a publicly visible example of a role card of this game’s analogue of Vanilla Townie.
    2. You’re heavily encouraged to save your Role PM outside of the chat. NodeBB’s private messaging system is… not suited for long-time storage.
    3. This is a closed-setup game. Presence of any roles in the setup will not be confirmed or denied.
    • Except Jester. There are no Jesters in this game. That player who’s being an idiot is, in fact, an idiot.
    1. This is a non-bastard game. A full role PM will be revealed upon death unless otherwise specified, and the GM will not lie to you, deceive you, give you up, let you down, run around and desert you.
    2. You can quit the game at any time, either by PM or by public announcement. Abuse of this mechanism to gain advantage will have severe consequences.
    3. Do not edit, bookmark or like posts. You shouldn’t be able to, but if you manage to find a clever way to do it anyway, Club Ded will not be amused.
    4. Do not contact other players or Club Ded members outside of threads marked for this purpose and the whisper threads, and do not discuss the game anywhere but in those threads. The Big Brother watches you.
    5. Do not encrypt, obfuscate or alter your posts, or use content which can be altered (outside-hosted images, oneboxes, etc.). Report all posts which infringe this rule via a PM to me.
    6. Do not post during the time between receiving your nighttime result and the day starting. This rule applies to all threads and whispers, not just the main thread.
    7. You have to post in the main thread once every 24 hours. And no, if for some reason I don’t do an attendance count on a given day, you’re not off the hook. Don’t gamble with the GM.
    8. Night actions are not mandatory. The players may abstain from any night action, including the factional kill, as long as they submit their wish to do so to the GM. Failure to submit anything during the night will be treated as a missed check-in.

• Private communications

At all times except dawn or dusk, you can take one of the players aside and tell them something in private. To chat with player @mention, write the following in your role card chat:

!whisper mention Message content

Be aware, though, that if you do it during the day, all other players will know who you've talked to - even if they won't know what it was about. And, of course, Club Ded will know every little secret you're sharing. During the night, however, all the communications will be fully private (except, again, for Club Ded).

It's still a rule infraction to chat in a way that bypasses the official chat mechanism. That includes the nighttime chats.

All the rules regarding in-thread posting also apply to chats.

• I struggled to remember how I ended up in here. It was supposed to be a routine cruise - all I had to do was to take a bunch of nouveau riche to an overpriced Caribbean tourist resort, where they could happily spend their two weeks enjoying the sun, the sea, and the twenty-dollar milkshakes at the poolside. Sure, there was some gossip among the crew about the hot cargo we were allegedly carrying - but no one really paid attention to that, not until it all started.

The guns. The noise. A bunch of masked people trying to wrest control of the ship from us... and the storm raging outside.

I don't know who they were, or what they were after. They must have boarded the ship as passengers, blending into the crowd until the time was right. I saw most of my crew killed horribly, thrown against the walls in a hail of bullets, before I lost consciousness - and woke up here. Unable to move, unable to scream, barely breathing… but alive.

I haven’t seen anybody else yet, but I’ve heard some voices in the distance. None of them I could recognize - hopefully those were the passengers, maybe even some of the crew.

“It looks like an island. No trace of civilization, aside from whatever is left of the ship.” - a dry, calm voice.

“Thanks, Sherlock.” - someone else. Younger.

“We’ve scrounged some supplies, but they won’t last for too long. The phones don’t work, either.”

“We’re stranded here. We’re going to die…” - someone was almost crying. - “God, please, I want to go home…”

“There’s another problem.” - someone said, and suddenly everything went silent. - “We found some bodies… most of them drowned, but some were riddled by bullet holes.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that it might not have been an accident that we’re here. Someone killed off the crew.”

“And crashed the ship? Why would they do that?”

“I don’t know. But… it’s worrying.”

“Who cares? Whoever they were, they’re probably already dead. I’m going to check the shore again, maybe something else washed up.”

I heard the foliage rustling, and footsteps slowly getting closer and closer. I tried to shout once again - it came out as a quiet moan, but it was enough to catch the attention of whoever was approaching.

“My, my. I see you’ve made it out alive.” - I heard a quiet, familiar voice right above me. - “But you see, Captain… we just can’t let it stay that way.”

When I realized who was talking to me, it was already too late. For a moment, there was only pain… and then, there was nothing.

Maciejasjmj was killed on day 1!

You're vanilla! Unfortunately, all the knowledge and abilities you may have once had are either too rusty, or not exactly useful in this situation. But hey, maybe someday someone will appreciate your mad saxophone playing skills... For now, however, the only weapon you have is your vote, and your faction kill if applicable.

You're a passenger! Out of all the things you've feared before the cruise, getting stranded on a desert island with a bunch of terrorists was not on the top of the list. And yet, here you are - with most of your possessions somewhere at the bottom of the sea, and a group of people who may or may not want to murder you in your sleep. As much as you'd like to enjoy the sun and the water, something needs to be done about that situation…

You win when all the threats to the passengers are eliminated.

It is now day 1! The day will end on Saturday, 3rd December, 7PM GMT, which is 3 days, 0 hours, 16 minutes from now!

• @vote list-votes

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (9): djls45, abarker, CreatedToDislikeThis, pydsigner, accalia, Yamikuronue, dangeRuss, heterodox, Vault_Dweller

With 9 playing, it's 5 to lynch!

• @Mafia-Players we're up. Let me know of any issues.

• Does anyone know have any orienteering skills to know where exactly we might have crashed? Are any members of the ship's crew still alive?

looks sadly at a once stylish but now rather bedraggled Panama hat I was hoping we'd make it further to the Caribbean, but from the bit of chill in the air, I don't think we made it that far at all.

• Owwww... my head. Why do I feel like I just finished off 2 bottles of tequila by myself and ate the worms?

I... I think I'm going to go finish my nap.

In the meantime, it seems that we're got ourselves into quite a predicament. Can someone watch over me for a bit while I regain my strength to make sure nobody murders me in my sleep?

Also I hope someone has a plan for how we're going to get out of here after we find these damn terrorists.

Did anyone see who killed the captain?

• mod

Dammit! I was enjoying that cruise!

/* abarker looks out at the ocean, sees something wash in on the next wave */

What's this? A volleyball? Now if only we had a net.

Oh well, better to spend our time trying to stay alive, at this point. Maybe we'll have time for a game later.

• sockdevs

Okay.... That was a.... Wow.

Okay. So. That's a thing that happened.

Do we have any clues? Like... there's gotta be something right? it's not like a wild winged cannonball bashed our captain's brains out with a rusty mallet or something? it's gotta be one of us, right?

• mod

"I'm an engineer -- well, I will be one as soon as I graduate from Harvard," says the young woman with teal hair bobbed to chin length. "I don't know anything about sea charts or stars or whatever. Does anyone see any scrap left over from the wreckage? And maybe one of my Raspberry Pis? I can maybe put together some sort of wifi-enabled signaling mechanism..."

• @Yamikuronue said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

"I'm an engineer -- well, I will be one as soon as I graduate from Harvard," says the young woman with teal hair bobbed to chin length. "I don't know anything about sea charts or stars or whatever. Does anyone see any scrap left over from the wreckage? And maybe one of my Raspberry Pis? I can maybe put together some sort of wifi-enabled signaling mechanism..."

How about a black box. Do ships have black boxes?

• mod

@dangeRuss Her eyes light up. "Oh! Do they? Maybe I can read something from it?"

• @abarker said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

What's this? A volleyball?

We must name it Wilson.

• @accalia said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

it's gotta be one of us, right?

I'm afraid you're probably right. While it's possible that whoever attacked us got caught up in the wreck themselves, it seems more likely that they would have had an escape plan.

That's assuming the attack was premeditated and not e.g. the work of pirates. And that the escape plan would have involved blending in with us and not a means of escaping on his or her own.

Damn it, there are too many variables.

@dangeRuss said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Can someone watch over me for a bit while I regain my strength to make sure nobody murders me in my sleep?

Given the uncertainty, would you trust anyone well enough to do that? Seems foolish but then it's your head and not mine.

• @heterodox said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Can someone watch over me for a bit while I regain my strength to make sure nobody murders me in my sleep?

Given the uncertainty, would you trust anyone well enough to do that? Seems foolish but then it's your head and not mine.

Well how many bad guys do you think there are - three? Lets say four of you watch over me, that should be good enough. I just need a power nap.

• @dangeRuss Alternatively, does anyone have any advil... or perhaps something a little stronger?

Ach, perhaps @dangeRuss needs some medicine for his head, but I could use some for the rest of my body. I'm too old to be slammed into walls and swim half a mile to land. I should have known something was up when I was offered a discount on the cruise, but here we are. I'll keep checking bodies, and I'd not mind some help, @heterodox, but the only crew I've found thus far have been face down, bullet-hole up.

• mod

@Yamikuronue said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Does anyone see any scrap left over from the wreckage? And maybe one of my Raspberry Pis? I can maybe put together some sort of wifi-enabled signaling mechanism...

What are the odds of that being useful when we don't even have cell reception?

I'm not criticizing, I'm actually wondering if there would be any benefit to such a device.

• @dangeRuss said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Well how many bad guys do you think there are - three? Lets say four of you watch over me, that should be good enough. I just need a power nap.

Huh. That's actually not a bad idea, now that I get it.

@pydsigner said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

I'd not mind some help, @heterodox

Sure, though now @dangeRuss is making me think we should have a third.

@abarker said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

I'm not criticizing, I'm actually wondering if there would be any benefit to such a device.

In theory there could be, if we had someone who knew how to pool all the components (cannibalize our phones), boost the power enough, etc. If we could actually get a signal enough? Absolutely it'd be beneficial to us. Myself, I'm just wondering if @Yamikuronue actually has that knowledge. It'd be pretty unusual.

get a signal enough

get a signal through*

• Created slowly wakes up from a light concussion

"Hwha... Did we hit one of them iceberg thingies? Always floating around at sea making a mess off of ships?
    Uhh... Why are these corpses riddled with holes, though? And I'm starting to remember some loud bangs too...
    So... When are we getting rescued?"

Created listens as his wreckmates converse of the situation

"B..But we are going to get rescued, right?
    Of course we are, as long as they know where to find us!
    They do know that, right?"

Created directs a quizzical look to @Yamikuronue, in hopes her engineering-do knowledge will be of help

• Looks like ships do have black boxes. So has anyone seen it?

• mod

@heterodox "Uhhh... yes?" Yamiko tries to look more confident than she feels. "I mean, it's just like class, right? I've diagrammed circuits like that, and I did make that wifi-enabled toaster in high school, so that should totally be the same kind of thing. Definitely. Right?"

• @Yamikuronue said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

@heterodox "Uhhh... yes?" Yamiko tries to look more confident than she feels. "I mean, it's just like class, right? I've diagrammed circuits like that, and I did make that wifi-enabled toaster in high school, so that should totally be the same kind of thing. Definitely. Right?"

I hate to be negative, but I'm going to go with no... so @abarker's probably right and we should focus on the black box or and other evidence we may have. Unless he has a better idea.

• mod

@heterodox said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Unless he has a better idea.

Ideas … ideas …

Oh! Here we go! Wait, that's just hunger pains.

Hmmm … Actually all I've got right now is trying to figure out something to eat. Anyone have any survival skills suitable for a formerly uninhabited island? Maybe we could catch some seafood or harvest some coconuts!

Has anyone seen any coconuts?

• @abarker said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Anyone have any survival skills suitable for a formerly uninhabited island? Maybe we could catch some seafood or harvest some coconuts!

Well, I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention in Boy Scouts... to the lessons, at least. looks away, blushing slightly

I know how to fish, but I didn't pack a rod. cough Even if we knew where our luggage is. I had planned to just sit on the beach, soaking up some rays, somebody bringing me drinks with little umbrellas in them. C'est la vie...

Well, I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention in Boy Scouts... to the lessons, at least. looks away, blushing slightly
    What did you pay attention to in boy scouts?

I hate to be negative, but I'm going to go with no... so @abarker's probably right and we should focus on the black box or and other evidence we may have. Unless he has a better idea.

I think if we can find enough wire, we could wrap a coil around a cell phone and then extend it out to form a long directional antenna. It would work better if we can also get some foil or something to form a funnel/dish to further concentrate the signal.

But that depends on knowing which direction has the nearest tower, and if it's close enough that the curvature of the earth doesn't get in the way. Getting higher, maybe into the top of a tall tree or hill, would also help with the range.

• @dangeRuss said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Listen... the details of my pubescent years are not relevant to the situation we're in.

OOC: I've caught a cold and am now loopy on several different cold meds so apologies in advance for any loss of coherence.

Listen... the details of my pubescent years are not relevant to the situation we're in.

OOC: I've caught a cold and am now loopy on several different cold meds so apologies in advance for any loss of coherence.

How did you manage to catch a cold on a tropical island?

• "We just have to send a signal of some kind - some kinda signally thing - so that everyone knows where we are.
    They can't rescue us if they don't know where we are, so we just have to send a signally thing, that's all"

Created nods to himself and searches around, presumably for a 'signally thing'

• sockdevs

I've got a lovely pair of them i've been told, but unless you have a fully stocked wet bar in your pocket i'm not letting you touch them, sailor. ;-)

• mod

@accalia said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

I've got a lovely pair of them i've been told, but unless you have a fully stocked wet bar in your pocket i'm not letting you touch them, sailor. ;-)

1. I'm not a sailor.
      B. That's not quite what I meant ...
      iii) You know where to find me if you change your mind ;)

Huh. That's actually not a bad idea, now that I get it.

I think I'm getting what you're getting that @dangeRuss was getting at; and it might be a good idea, instead of just a not-bad one.

• Notification Spam Recipient

...Where am I? I think I might have a slight concussion. At least I'm not alone here. I'm just going to rest a bit to recover from this throbbing headache. If anyone needs me I'll be sitting here under the palm tree.

Delivered mail from Vault_Dweller to djls45

• mod

@djls45 said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

I think I'm getting what you're getting that @dangeRuss was getting at

Yamiko raises her hand

I'm confused!

• Created, at the time trying to figure out how to operate some phone-looking-kinda-thing in hopes it can do signallin' is alerted to the secret correspondence that occurs

"So... Why is @Vault_Dweller passing notes to @djls45?
    I'm aware we've found a huge stash of paper and the temptation to use it is there, but shouldn't we be saving it for the toilet?"

Created eyes @Vault_Dweller, trying to decide if this action can be considered an indication of Vault's allegiance

"Now you've got me curious - what was in the note?"

• @CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Created, at the time trying to figure out how to operate some phone-looking-kinda-thing in hopes it can do signallin' is alerted to the secret correspondence that occurs

"So... Why is @Vault_Dweller passing notes to @djls45?
    I'm aware we've found a huge stash of paper and the temptation to use it is there, but shouldn't we be saving it for the toilet?"

Created eyes @Vault_Dweller, trying to decide if this action can be considered an indication of Vault's allegiance

"Now you've got me curious - what was in the note?"

Testing the whisper feature. You are the randomly chosen recipient. Did it work?

@Vault_Dweller Yes, it worked. :)

• sockdevs

I'm confused!

you're not the only one. @_@

• mod

/ abarker wanders back in with a single coconut /

Anyone know got any ideas on getting this open? It may not be much for the nine of us – assuming it's even any good – but at least it's something.

/ he drops the coconut in the middle of the group /

While somebody tries to figure that out, maybe we should talk about what we're going to do next. We've got a few issues to worry about. One, we need more food and some fresh water to drink. B, we need some sort of shelter, or at the very least a fire for tonight. And third, we need to figure out if any of us are responsible for putting holes in the crew, and if so are they a danger to the rest of us?

ANyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

• sockdevs

Hmm..... i'mma need a big rock. I think i remember how to get these things open.... saw it in a movie somewhere.

Anyone know got any ideas on getting this open? It may not be much for the nine of us – assuming it's even any good – but at least it's something.

I'd suggest we try to salvage a machete. Or rather, more than one, so we can avoid accidentally arming our adversaries.

@accalia said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Hmm..... i'mma need a big rock. I think i remember how to get these things open.... saw it in a movie somewhere.

Rocks will work too, but only on the brown coconuts. The green coconuts, with deeply satisfying and hydrating milk, need to be opened more carefully.

• mod

@pydsigner said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

I'd suggest we try to salvage a machete. Or rather, more than one, so we can avoid accidentally arming our adversaries.

Given what's happened to the crew, it appears that they already are armed. The fact that they haven't come after us outright seems to indicate that they either have a limited supply of ammunition or they are terrible marksmen or both. Or maybe I'm just not thinking of something else.

In any case, why do you think we would be able to salvage any machetes? We were on a luxury cruise ship bound for a Caribbean resort. Were you thinking of trying to make some from the wreckage?

In any case, why do you think we would be able to salvage any machetes? We were on a luxury cruise ship bound for a Caribbean resort. Were you thinking of trying to make some from the wreckage?

I'm pretty sure I saw the kitchen staff using machetes the other day when they served that delicous pineapple dessert.

• Created gazes at the coconuts longingly but then turns to @abarker

While somebody tries to figure that out, maybe we should talk about what we're going to do next. We've got a few issues to worry about. One, we need more food and some fresh water to drink. B, we need some sort of shelter, or at the very least a fire for tonight. And third, we need to figure out if any of us are responsible for putting holes in the crew, and if so are they a danger to the rest of us?

"I think that food is important and all but we can go a day or so without it.
    Drinks? We can probably drink the seawater if we have to.
    Our lives are far more important and I - for one - don't feel particularly safe in a sea of dead crew members and no place for the gunmen to have left to."

• mod

@CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

We can probably drink the seawater if we have to.

"Point of order -- let's not. Salt makes you thirsty. We can probably set up an evaporation rig fairly easily though."

• mod

@CreatedToDislikeThis said in [Shipwreck Mafia] Game thread:

Drinks? We can probably drink the seawater if we have to.

Only if you want to die faster.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.