Free Delphi 10.1 Starter

• Not sure if this is a DFS-style sale as I lost interest in Delphi when the price became ridiculous but the starter edition is currently free instead of €400.

It's incredibly basic compared to VS Community, but I like collecting keys.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Sweet. If I'm bored maybe I'll try it.

• What do you get for being a loyal customer of embarcadero ?

0_1478184533280_upload-db3a155e-a9ee-4561-b4c3-2848d5e63265

:rolleyes:

• We're planning to escape Delphi if we can, but I'm gonna download it just for fun.

• Right, so, I managed to download it and run the installer, and it pretty much just disappeared after a moment and asked for a key, so I entered that, and then pressed the button, and that disappeared too.

No confirmation of anything.

But it was in my start menu, as rad studio rather than Delphi?

So I ran that, and when trying to get the .Net version, it immediately crashed. Well, okay, maybe it really does need 3.5 specifically, whatever. So I download that installer and run it, and that window disappears immediately, and nothing seems to be fixed.

QUALITY PRODUCT.

• @Magus I didn't even download it yet, I only got registered for the license key. But, they did already try calling me and, when I failed to answer, emailed me to see if I had 10 minutes for a quick call regarding the "trial" ­ I didn't actually download.

• area_pol

@ChaosTheEternal said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

emailed me to see if I had 10 minutes for a quick call

They must be really bored.
    Or they have more support staff than customers :)

• Impossible Mission - B

Delphi's gone severely downhill in the last few years, ever since they tossed out Nick Hodges (the product manager) for reasons that have never been fully revealed publicly but are widely believed to have to do with Nick speaking truth to power in his typically blunt way. I know Nick pretty well, and I find this completely believable.

Nick recently quit his current job to return as Delphi product manager.

The entire Delphi community (what's left of it at this point) is basically in :popcorn: mode at the moment.

• @TimeBandit said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

What do you get for being a loyal customer of embarcadero ?

There's a nice markup for the Europeaners:

0_1478208556829_markup.PNG

• @masonwheeler The last version I did anything non-trivial with was Delphi 2009, which was 12 major versions ago. I installed 10.1 and started it up and it took a while before I could spot a difference.

• @coldandtired said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

There's a nice markup for the Europeaners:

0_1478208556829_markup.PNG

Even weirder, it changes over time:

0_1478253273305_Schermafbeelding 2016-11-04 om 10.53.51.png

Would they be pulling current exchange rates from somewhere?

• @coldandtired said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

@masonwheeler The last version I did anything non-trivial with was Delphi 2009, which was 12 major versions ago. I installed 10.1 and started it up and it took a while before I could spot a difference.

I'm still using 7 when I need a quickly made small app. Best Delphi Ever.

• Impossible Mission - B

@TimeBandit said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

I'm still using 7 when I need a quickly made small app. Best Delphi Ever.

7 was nice, but it lacks generics and closures, which makes it feel very limiting once you get used to those features.

• I'm pretty sure one of our apps is in Delphi 5, which is why we really want to do something about it. But that's OOOOOOOOLD, so it will be hard.

• @Magus said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

I'm pretty sure one of our apps is in Delphi 5, which is why we really want to do something about it.

You should really upgrade it to Delphi 7 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• @TimeBandit C# is more likely if we can figure that out.

• @TimeBandit I still have the Turbo editions knocking around on a disc somewhere.

• It's even more ridiculus considering you can probably just switch to Lazarus and get an open source delphi for free. The only thing that would stop you from just opening your project in Lazarus and continuing work like nothing has changed could be that you need some sort of comercial tooling or library that does not work with Lazarus and freepascal. Usually you can just slap on the delphimode compiler switch on top of every file and you're good to go.

I was actually pleasently surprised how everything about Lazarus "justworks:fa_trademark:" after I was recently remebered how everything about C++ just wants to make me cry before I have even written a single line of code and encountered a language wtf. I just tried out Lazarus for the first time in two years or so out of couriosity and nostalgia and I could get a basic SDL2 pong running and building in under two hours.

It makes me sad to think of what could have become of Delphi/Pascal if they hadn't crashed and burned that thing by management wtf-ery.

@masonwheeler said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

Nick recently quit his current job to return as Delphi product manager.
    The entire Delphi community (what's left of it at this point) is basically in :popcorn: mode at the moment.

I did not know that. Now I am in :popcorn: mode as well, though this move is years late I feel.

• TIL there are people still stuck in Delphi land.

Also, HOLY SHIT THOSE PRICES

Their entire business model at this point is clearly just milking the poor business with legacy apps they need to support. Which makes that promotion all the more baffling. Why bother?

• Impossible Mission - B

@Quwertzuiopp I haven't really looked at Lazarus in many years, since they made it abundantly clear that getting a real, working Package system was simply not anywhere at all on the priorities list.

In addition to that, the form designer is completely b0rked and the debugger is even worse, built atop GDB of all things! :wtf: :doing_it_wrong:

I like the basic idea behind FPC/Lazarus, but the execution is beyond screwed up.

• @masonwheeler I cannot speak for how it used to be when you used it, but it definiatly improved a lot since I last used it. The form designer did not seem b0rked, but then again I did no serious work with it, and debugging seems to work fine for me. I was surprised as well that they use GDB, but I would not have noticed had I not tried to find out. My experience with the debugger was at least pleasant in the few little projects I did on the side since I tried it out a few weeks ago.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@TimeBandit said in Free Delphi 10.1 Starter:

What do you get for being a loyal customer of embarcadero ?

Sounds about right. Really, if you use it for a year and actually come back for a renewal...you are dumb enough to pay that.

• I also like that there is a free Object Pascal book given away with every version except Starter.

• The website has now changed and it's moved to the 'free tools' section, despite still being apparently a 'special offer'.

Edit: and I can't edit this into the OP now?

• Impossible Mission - B

@coldandtired Node:baby: does that after long enough.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.