I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf:

• Java Dev

@Gurth Nowadays, those buttons are usually not done in hardware.

• :belt_onion:

@PleegWat said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@Gurth Nowadays, those buttons are usually not done in hardware.

Unless you're Samsung.

• 🚽 Regular

@Gurth I think Samsung is the only one that's had that for quite a while now. Everyone else just has the three "buttons" as part of the touchscreen, and are not actual physical buttons.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Gurth said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@Gurth I guess they don't load a touch driver at that point, and they definitely needed that select too?

Don’t Android devices typically have several buttons below the screen that could be used for the “click” function? Or aren’t those part of the requirements, so the OS can’t expect them to be present?

Not anymore, and even when they "are", they're actually just capacitive regions anyway, not physical.

Not only that, but such buttons are typically "context menu"," home", and "back". Not very useful in a menu system typically designed to be no more than three levels deep.

• Java Dev

@Tsaukpaetra About as useful as volume up/down.

@Tsaukpaetra About as useful as volume up/down.

At least those have a directional connotation that's usually followed in the menu.

• @Tsaukpaetra said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

Not only that, but such buttons are typically "context menu"," home", and "back". Not very useful in a menu system typically designed to be no more than three levels deep.

They wouldn’t need to be: repurposing one as the “OK” button and another as the “Back” button would suffice. If you’re telling people to press the volume buttons to move the selection anyway, this isn’t a big leap.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@Gurth I would have used the power button as "ok" myself. Hold to reboot, press to accept selection.

• This is one of the reasons that I rooted my phone - so I can have backups.

Also by default apparently if you set up a password, it sets it so that if you mistype it 10 times, it wipes the device.
    Guess what my kid decided to do?

Not only did it wipe the device, it took my sd card with it too.
    I was able to unformat the sd card and restore most of the pictures.
    Now I make sure that the amazon photo/video backup actually works.

• @Yamikuronue said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@Gurth I would have used the power button as "ok" myself. Hold to reboot, press to accept selection.

IIRC that's how it works on the Nexus 4 and 5. Volume up/down to move, power to select.

• @Yamikuronue said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

That was actually how I first thought it worked, when trying to fix with my friend’s tablet. I can see people getting confused by the difference between press-and-release the button to select and keeping it pressed to reboot, though, so I’m not sure it’d work well in practice. Which, I suppose, must be why they went with volume up to click and volume down to move the selection.

Maybe the real question is: why can’t it load basic touch drivers at this stage as well? It wouldn’t need anything fancy like multitouch, but would make choosing options much easier. The volume buttons could then be used as as backup in case the touch-sensitivity doesn’t work.

• @Karla said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

One of the problems with this phone is overheating

This is why we can't have nice things Charmanders!

• @Karla said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

One of the problems with this phone is overheating. Especially troublesome while playing Pokemon. I have a portable fan to cool it when I am out.

We don't have that kind of problems in Canada 🍁

• Looks like waiting 72 hours did the trick.

• @Gurth said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@Yamikuronue said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

That was actually how I first thought it worked, when trying to fix with my friend’s tablet. I can see people getting confused by the difference between press-and-release the button to select and keeping it pressed to reboot, though, so I’m not sure it’d work well in practice. Which, I suppose, must be why they went with volume up to click and volume down to move the selection.

Maybe the real question is: why can’t it load basic touch drivers at this stage as well? It wouldn’t need anything fancy like multitouch, but would make choosing options much easier. The volume buttons could then be used as as backup in case the touch-sensitivity doesn’t work.

Maybe the multitouch drivers are another point of failure, that's assuming they're available that early in the boot process.

It can!
    There's an entire recovery project that Does this, called TWRP.

• @Tsaukpaetra As in https://twrp.me?

About
    TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.
    Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.
    A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM

Okay, great, thanks for the info, 4 people. That just leaves me with one question: What does it do?

• FoxDev

@dangeRuss said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

Not only did it wipe the device, it took my sd card with it too.
    I was able to unformat the sd card and restore most of the pictures.
    Now I make sure that the amazon photo/video backup actually works.

working, tested backups save lives.

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra As in https://twrp.me?

About
    TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.
    Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.
    A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM

Okay, great, thanks for the info, 4 people. That just leaves me with one question: What does it do?

TWRP: Team Win Recovery Project

it's an alternate Android Recovery/Backup/Restore ROM.

• @accalia said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

See, that explanation assumes the person knows what a "Recovery ROM" is.

(it's a secondary OS that can be used to manage and backup your main OS)

Maybe the real question is: why can’t it load basic touch drivers at this stage as well?

it can

• FoxDev

@anonymous234 said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@accalia said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

See, that explanation assumes the person knows what a "Recovery ROM" is.

(it's a secondary OS that can be used to manage and backup your main OS)

right...... my bad there

@sloosecannon said:

Maybe the real question is: why can’t it load basic touch drivers at this stage as well?

it can

Frack, :hanzo: by @Tsaukpaetra

@Tsaukpaetra As in https://twrp.me?

About

Tl;ydr:

used for installing custom software on your device.

Edit: and if I have to explain what "custom" and "software" is to you, I will question your question with, "why are you here?"

• Considered Harmful

@Tsaukpaetra said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

"why are you here?"

Well, a long time ago, all matter in the universe was condensed to an extremely dense point... [snip]...
    Hydrogen atoms began to fuse together into heavier atoms... [snip]...
    Single-celled organisms began to proliferate and mutate... [snip]...
    As the CO2 levels rose, so did ambient temperatures, melting the polar ice caps, and eventually all life was extinguished...

Wait. Too far.

Filed under: Multi 🚎

• @accalia said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

TWRP: Team Win Recovery Project

Thanks. Very handy that it seems to be impossible to figure that out from the project’s own web site.

Let alone that part. That whole site is intended for people who already know what it is, by the looks of it.

• @error said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

"why are you here?"

Well, a long time ago, all matter in the universe was condensed to an extremely dense point... [snip]...
    Hydrogen atoms began to fuse together into heavier atoms... [snip]...
    Single-celled organisms began to proliferate and mutate... [snip]...
    As the CO2 levels rose, so did ambient temperatures, melting the polar ice caps, and eventually all life was extinguished...[snip]
    ? ... [snip]
    Profit!

FTFY

> used for installing custom software on your device.

Selective quoting there. The full line is:

A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device.

This doesn’t explain what the purpose of TWRP is, only that it uses ”A custom recovery” (noun missing here, I’d say) to install software of some unknown kind.

• @Gurth said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

”A custom recovery” (noun missing here, I’d say)

Using "recovery" as shorthand for "recovery firmware/software/etc" is well-known in the context of custom ROMs.

• FoxDev

That whole site is intended for people who already know what it is, by the looks of it.

the site is written by developers. what did you expect?

😆

That whole site is intended for people who already know what it is, by the looks of it.

Aren't most sites like that?

Take Google for example:

0_1478023895031_upload-11b5d777-1054-4c94-bef0-3e53a40c90ae

It's a text box that says you can [Company Name] Search, Ok, fine, I can search. Search what? It's not obvious.

Oh? You meant information on the "About" page?

0_1478024111149_upload-c7e3eb89-1a14-4e63-9807-8375314a551f

So Google is an organizer of worldly information? What does that even mean? Universe access? Are they alien conspirators or something?

Ok, lets try something else.

Lets try Microsoft.

0_1478024223763_upload-06dac7f8-a16a-42d9-ac82-1208a41f98cf

Weird. Looks like I found the Mac store or something. Lets hunt for an "About" page here...

0_1478024286842_upload-04630c5f-d89a-4534-8a9a-f63c3cc7893c

So... Microsoft... people... does... things?

I still don't know what a Microsoft is guys! Hur dur this doesn't make sense! Is a Microsoft a software? A computer? A person?

Okay fine fine, lets compare apples to peaches.

Lets see Firefox.

0_1478024404413_upload-75e3cdf3-0bdd-44cb-94a7-42fbead10f63

.... It's a space map of some kind? Good to know, I like to stargaze once in a while.

Lets look for an About page here too... It's buried, but I think I found something!

0_1478024541013_upload-967d417d-4bd3-477f-9e1e-7576c02e6eeb

So Firefox is some kind of vault for spiders?

0_1478024593226_upload-70afab3b-61b6-42f5-a326-5a4e0f96c416
    0_1478024689985_upload-c9f04ea7-ca05-4b1b-9507-82d1895ef13b
    Guys, it's like "Mozilla" (Apparently the company that codes Firefox) expects you to know what a "Web" is so you know what the purpose of Firefox is. There is no explanation anywhere at all, just some market-y BS about being better at other programs or something.

I must not be hip enough to use these things, since I can't get an easy layman's-terms explanation of what any of these three products are from the very things we're "supposed" to get such information from.

rAnd no, I don't think it's outside the realm of satire to assume the average web-browser-user knows they're using a web browser.

Aren't most sites like that?

You’re comparing apples and oranges. Google, Microsoft, Firefox, etc. are well-known enough that they don’t really need to explain their products up front.

A project by four people to install alternative software on mobile phones would definitely benefit from a good explanation of what their software does and why you might want to use it. Instead, their front page is a list of download links as if every visitor there already knows what they make. (Then again, maybe that is generally the case for them — all I know is that I’d never heard of it, and the site didn’t enlighten me in the slightest.)

You’re comparing apples and oranges. Google, Microsoft, Firefox, etc. are well-known enough that they don’t really need to explain their products up front.

Ah. So popularity is an excuse to Be Courageous™ then? I see.

Besides, "well-known enough" by who? Yes, that's right, their users. If I asked someone who didn't know anything about Google, your fallacy doesn't hold up.

I argue back that users of TWRP know it well enough that they don't really need an explanation of the product up front.

Your point was that someone who doesn't know about something should be able to easily get information about what said thing was straight from said thing's website. The only reason it's a comparison of apples and oranges is that you're predisposing that people already know about the product, which of course completely invalidates the comparison because we're not talking about the same situation then.

Your point was that someone who doesn't know about something should be able to easily get information about what said thing was straight from said thing's website.

Yes, this is one of the things I expect from a web site for a product: that it tells you what that product is, does, and/or is used for. Not necessarily in-depth, but enough that any random visitor can get a basic idea of it. Especially if the site is for something you can’t expect the average person to have heard of, even if the site’s intended audience or user base will know what it is.

Your point was that someone who doesn't know about something should be able to easily get information about what said thing was straight from said thing's website.

Yes, this is one of the things I expect from a web site for a product: that it tells you what that product is, does, and/or is used for. Not necessarily in-depth, but enough that any random visitor can get a basic idea of it. Especially if the site is for something you can’t expect the average person to have heard of, even if the site’s intended audience or user base will know what it is.

Which, as I pointed out, Neither Google, Microsoft, or Mozilla's do. So, QED.

At least in the case of Google and Microsoft, I'd argue that anyone who doesn't already know, at least generally, what they do shouldn't be using a computer without adult supervision. I'll give you Mozilla; they're certainly well known among the technically literate, but maybe not so much by little old ladies from Pasadena, and their home page is indisputably terrible at explaining anything other than Firefox, and even that if you don't already know what it is.

@HardwareGeek said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

At least in the case of Google and Microsoft, I'd argue that anyone who doesn't already know, at least generally, what they do shouldn't be using a computer without adult supervision.

True, anecdotal. But besides the point. ;)

Did I say Google’s or Firefox’s sites are better in this regard than TWRP’s? I don’t recall doing so — you’re the one who seems so annoyed by me being confused by some obscure web site that you appear to see a need to show me why my minor complaint about that confusion is wrong “because some of the big boys do no better.”

I certainly agree that Google’s and Firefox’s sites offer about as little clue to what they’re about as TWRP’s. Microsoft’s, though, has clickable pictures of obvious products (computers etc.) on the front page, including things like “Learn More” links that will actually tell you what the thing is.

Did I say Google’s or Firefox’s sites are better in this regard than TWRP’s? I don’t recall doing so

Did I claim you said such a thing? I don't recall doing that either.

you’re the one who seems so annoyed by me being confused by some obscure web site that you appear to see a need to show me why my minor complaint about that confusion is wrong “because some of the big boys do no better.”

I'm not annoyed. But I am trying to troll. Is it working yet?

I certainly agree that Google’s and Firefox’s sites offer about as little clue to what they’re about as TWRP’s

Hence my QED statement. Thanks!

Microsoft’s, though, has clickable pictures of obvious products (computers etc.) on the front page, including things like “Learn More” links that will actually tell you what the thing is.

To be fair, Microsoft has physical products capable of having their pictures taken. TWRP has... a UI? That's all really beside the point in any case.

you appear to see a need to show me why my minor complaint about that confusion is wrong

No, I think you missed the entire point overall. That's OK though, I still love you!

Did I claim you said such a thing? I don't recall doing that either.

Implied by your replies, which tends to amount to the same thing.

I'm not annoyed. But I am trying to troll. Is it working yet?

It already worked two days ago. Congratulations. But at least that explains why you put so much effort into posting screenshots.

To be fair, Microsoft has physical products capable of having their pictures taken. TWRP has... a UI?

That shouldn’t stop them from writing a simple paragraph at the top of the site, along the lines of, “We make a piece of software that you can install on Android phones to help in recovering from problems with the phone.”

No, I think you missed the entire point overall.

Given that the point seems to be trolling me, then yes, the idea is that I missed the point, isn’t it?

Implied by your replies, which tends to amount to the same thing.

Ah. So replies I make can imply things that you can interpret as a said statement, but I can't do the same to you. Fair enough.

But at least that explains why you put so much effort into posting screenshots.

Was it too much?

That shouldn’t stop them from writing a simple paragraph at the top of the site, along the lines of, “We make a piece of software that you can install on Android phones to help in recovering from problems with the phone.”

You realize how little people want to actually do work, right?

Likely, it never crossed their minds people landing on their site might need such a statement, which is your point about familiarity.

Given that the point seems to be trolling me, then yes, the idea is that I missed the point, isn’t it?

Now you're getting it!

You realize how little people want to actually do work, right?

It’s these guys’ hobby project, isn’t it? Then no amount of work can be too much — or at least, it shouldn’t be.

More likely, I’d say, is that they’re much like the average Joe in that they can’t explain what they’re actually doing in layman’s terms worth a damn.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

From the bit you quoted:

Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

so TWRP is a "custom recovery", whatever that means

oh, so that's what it does.

Isn't that what you wanted to know?

@Yamikuronue said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

From the bit you quoted:

Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

so TWRP is a "custom recovery", whatever that means

oh, so that's what it does.

Isn't that what you wanted to know?

Apparently it's not layman enough to be obvious, popularity be damned.

• This fucking phone. My 2nd G4 just bootlooped.

I'm still fucking paying for the first one which had to be sent back to LG in the first 4 months.

The first one died after I dropped it too many times (without a case because it would overheat).

The 2nd one I bought refurbished in November because it is significantly cheaper than a new phone and I already have the extra batteries and external chargers.

• @Karla just buy a Windows phone, Micro-Soft will probably pay you to use it :trollface:

• @TimeBandit said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@Karla just buy a Windows phone, Micro-Soft will probably pay you to use it :trollface:

Do not want.

I did actually buy a cheap burner Windows phone before I was able to get my G4 fixed the first time.

• FoxDev

@Karla The only LG phone I've ever owned would occasionally randomly reboot, then lock during boot and burn through a full battery charge in about 15 minutes. Often, I noticed it happening when my pocket started feeling like it was full of napalm.

• @RaceProUK said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

@Karla The only LG phone I've ever owned would occasionally randomly reboot, then lock during boot and burn through a full battery charge in about 15 minutes. Often, I noticed it happening when my pocket started feeling like it was full of napalm.

Heat is a known problem with the model. I would never put it in a pocket.

I had the G2 before and my husband has the Curve and I like the LG choice of moving the the volume and power to the back of the phone.

So, I really like the usability of LG phones.

The replacement was Certified Refurbished and if the seller doesn't replace/refund I will try and send it to LG.

I'll try and send the 1st one too. Though its failure was due to my dropping it too many times.

• @RaceProUK said in I can't unlock my phone. I am TR :wtf::

my pocket started feeling like it was full of napalm.

Wet and sticky?