Factorio

• BINNED

I'm sure at least a few of you play this; if you don't then you're missing out because this game is the shit. https://www.factorio.com/

Show off your spaghetti factories! Here's my first attempt (not pictured: some stone miners and 100 steam generators in to the north and east):

0_1477597611873_20161027214520_1.jpg

• sekret PM club

I have it, but haven't played it in a while since I had basically run through the entire available tech tree and "won". Still have it installed and might go back at some point to try some mods or something...once I get bored of Civ6 outside of my WoW time.

• Impossible Mission - B

@blek said in Factorio:

Show off your spaghetti factories!

@e4tmyl33t said in Factorio:

I have it, but haven't played it in a while since I had basically run through the entire available tech tree and "won".

So that was a long time ago?

Does that mean you have an old spaghetti factory?

• sekret PM club

@masonwheeler said in Factorio:

@blek said in Factorio:

Show off your spaghetti factories!

@e4tmyl33t said in Factorio:

I have it, but haven't played it in a while since I had basically run through the entire available tech tree and "won".

So that was a long time ago?

Does that mean you have an old spaghetti factory?

I might still have the savefile for it laying around, yes. Not sure how well it'll load if the game's received substantial updates since then though.

• kills Dumbledore

Sounds like my kind of game. Might give it a go once I get bored of Besiege

• I've wanted it for a while now, but I will only pull the trigger if it ever gets a sale

• BINNED

@mrguyorama It almost never goes on sale as far as I know, the devs seem proud of the fact that they don't do that and they price it at 20 instead of something like 19.99.

• You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies.

Look, @ben_lubar, I don't know what you did to @blek, but you won't fool us. We won't be playing Dwarf Fortress.

• :belt_onion:

@blek said in Factorio:

disappointed by the lack of factor.io in the url

• 🚽 Regular

Dear all,

Version 0.16 has become stable, and this means that there is one last step for us to reach the 0.17 which will probably become 1.0 version. Then Factorio will finally step out of the Early Access zone. This will take some months but the roadmap is clear for us.

We feel that now is a good time to adjust the price of the game. The price of the game has been growing steadily together with the game becoming bigger, more stable and polished. After careful consideration, we have decided to set the new price of the game to 30 USD (or your regional equivalent). This change will become effective as of the 16th of April 2018. This is the final Factorio price update, unless something unforeseen happens, so it will also be the price for the game for 1.0 release.

As you probably know we have a strict no sale policy. The game will not go on sale on Steam or any other platform. This basically means that purchasing before the 16th of April 2018 is the only way to buy the game cheaper than the increased release price.

TL;DR: that last paragraph.

• 🚽 Regular

I never got around to posting my screenshots.

Have this one for now:

0_1522486807520_8. precious caffeine.png

• Banned

@zecc said in Factorio:

As you probably know we have a strict no sale policy. The game will not go on sale on Steam or any other platform. This basically means that purchasing before the 16th of April 2018 is the only way to buy the game cheaper than the increased release price.

We'll see in 2 years.

• Since it's been a few months, is the UI non-ass now?

I actually bought this game and couldn't play it due to the shitty UI (which, naturally, none of the reviews I went by talked about.)

• @blakeyrat The UI isn't AMAZING, but it's not really horrible either. You mostly just press E or T for everything.

• This is an old one from like a year ago:
    0_1522513892995_d52c4638-8c67-4268-8168-ee10695671fc-image.png

The south part of that base was cool:
    0_1522513974571_665d434e-47b9-4147-8ba2-dc32dfa5cf27-image.png

(Yes, those are alien corpses you can't see the ground through)

• @magus Does it still have dialog boxes with no close boxes so you sit there staring trying to figure out how to close the dialog but you can't because the only way to close the dialog is with the keyboard and the game doesn't bother to print the correct key on the fucking screen!?

No, I'm sorry, back when I tried it, it was fucking awful. I couldn't believe that none of the reviewers I read mentioned it. It's like "well as long as one aspect of the game is good, it doesn't matter that the FAR AND AWAY MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER ABOUT THE GAME is complete shit".

Come to think of it, maybe they were all Dwarf Fortress players.

• @blakeyrat Closing panels is Esc as far as I know... It's kind of just reflexive for me to close panels like that in games, so I never really thought about it.

• @magus I seem to recall when i played it escape specifically did NOT work, which is what made me get pissed off and stop playing that game made by dumbshits who never bothered to do any usability testing. But maybe I'm misremembering and it was some other abomination of awful UI that made me quit it.

Either way, it was a really shitty UI.

• No screenshots ATM, but I've been playing with my brother. We've launched rockets on multiple maps, both vanilla and modded, and got most of the non-speedrun achievements. Though mostly we've played easy mode with lots of resources and biters off/peaceful/at absolute minimum.

Our latest was with bob's mods. The added complexity is interesting but definitely not for everyone.

• @blakeyrat said in Factorio:

Come to think of it, maybe they were all Dwarf Fortress players.

Nah, Dwarf Fortress tells you which button to push to close a window:

• @blakeyrat They definitely need to work on the UI, I don't disagree there. It works, but needs improvement. The game itself is rather fun, though.

• Java Dev

@magus A UI overhaul is scheduled for 0.17.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=678

• @magus By the way, I've found out that for some consumers (like gun turrets and research labs) you don't need a setup of "conveyor belt => mover => gun turret" for every consumer to keep them restocked with ammo or similar.

Simply do something like this: "conveyor belt => mover => turret => mover => turret => mover => ..." I.e. the movers will pass the resource through the turrets. If you use fast movers and keep the chain moderately short this will keep the turrets restocked easily.

Saves a bit of space, reduces the amount of resources needlessly lying around on conveyor belts and is just as easy to set up. And if you use chests as an intermediary buffer that technique also makes it easier to restrict the number of buffer items (either by limiting the size of the chest to, say, 200 rounds of ammo or using digital signalling to stop production when exceeding a stored amount)

• @blakeyrat said in Factorio:

the game doesn't bother to print the correct key on the fucking screen!?

This....

• how some games forget to update some of the button indicators when keys are remapped.
    • when keys mappings are reused for some feature that isn't listed on the remapping window.
    • and the worst is when both happen for the same feature.

Good luck figuring out what key to press.

I'm looking at you, Skyrim.

• @rhywden One example:

0_1522684442961_9160cffc-f3a9-43e1-885a-b9b22aa01c94-image.png

• @gąska said in Factorio:

@zecc said in Factorio:

We'll see in 2 years.

I know right. It makes no sense to have this policy. Especially when you have a no fixed cost per unit not sold.

You force a handful of people to pay slightly more, over the loss of thousands of discounted sales.}

People are not happily enticed by a threat of punishment. Best case scenario they'll just ignore your game, worst case they'll leave a really scathing review when the game doesn't meet their expectations (because they were on the fence before, the game better be good).

• @xaade He's probably just lying to build up initial sales. I bet 18 months from now it's 20% off.

• @rhywden Turret chaining is nice in theory, until the biters destroy something.

Lab chaining is nice, but there are flashes of downtime, and a limit to how far you can practically chain. More science and more speed lower that Still, it's my go to setup. I typically use a 4 4-lab lines in a grid, and upgrade to filter inserters between the labs to prevent loops/forks if and when I feed along another side.

Another tip- you can have multiple underground belts in the same line, as long as they're different tiers/colors. It would make no sense in the real world (how do the tunnels not intersect?) and so some people don't like it. It can make for some nice compact designs though. It's commonly called belt weaving/braiding.

• @coderpatsy said in Factorio:

It would make no sense in the real world (how do the tunnels not intersect?)

it would if you could go ABBA, because then A would just dig below B. But if you can go ABAB, then that doesn't make sense.

• @coderpatsy said in Factorio:

@rhywden Turret chaining is nice in theory, until the biters destroy something.

Well, if the biters destroy the conveyor belt you're equally SOL, so... :)

• 🚽 Regular

Since I've last played, they've changed the solar panel graphics away from their distinctive black look. Why?

0_1522830619892_Overview.png

As you can see, my factories are rather small and messy.

I usually do balancing through enabling/disabling transport belts based on whether they are already filled up ahead, creating small buffers. I don't look for belt saturation.

0_1522831269758_balancing.png

Here's another example. I only produce more coal if I need to. I care about the environment. Well, I care about not pissing off the natives unnecessarily, anyway.

0_1522831289684_balancing2.png

The update to a new version of the game and the subsequent removal of non-updated mods has destroyed most of my factory. 😢

0_1522831393900_modworld-demodded.png

Here's an old screenshot of how it looked before. This is the same world as the screenshot in my previous post where I showed coffee production. It's my "with mods" world.

0_1522831530408_11 outdoors base.png

Those red-roofed building are from the Factorissimo mod. They let me build sub-factories inside buildings. Pretty cool:

0_1522831629528_11 blue science.png

0_1522831641722_11 military science.png

• My favorite factory setup:

0_1524115870860_e33cc104-845b-4b7c-b98f-ed9a441f84f6-image.png

Sure, you can probably do this more efficiently; you can also pair these. I just love how consistent they are.

• Java Dev

@magus You belt copper wire? 🍊

• @pleegwat With a nearly-identical assembly. The problem is, I never plan these out properly ahead of time, so they can get messy. This green one is currently the best in my setup. But I don't even have red belts yet.

• @magus

Things will get very messy if you are belting copper wire. Way better to make it locally.

• I gotta figure out this game sometime.

• @dragoon Things always get messy. It's Factorio.

I'm pretty good at managing that stuff, though. I normally try to get to a point where I can continue scaling it and switch to robotic transfer. It's never caused me any huge issues.

• I didn't have enough coils. But now I have a lot of things in that spot.

0_1524189058149_e8218b11-3220-4ba5-b9ee-85fafd5b6596-image.png

• Loving it. Never had a game that got me to stay up till 9am (happened once, this weekend I got to sleep by 5am), it's a fucking drug.
    Now I'm on my second playthrough, where I'm creating a train-based distribution system between separate parts of the factory. Screenshots soon.

• 🚽 Regular

From the same studios that brought Goat Simulator.

https://youtu.be/W_lmP8jYVLs

0_1529103939970_355d8258-78a3-4190-818b-4a4f18f791f6-image.png

• You guys build... small factories.

• @aygeeplus Show us how it's done then.

• @zecc said in Factorio:

That's effectively a limited-time sale

• @coderpatsy Before I do I'd like to emphasize I didn't say bad factories, and that's for a very good reason.

oh hell I tried to get some good shots of the terrible things I've done, but it didn't really work out. I have exactly one factory producing purple science packs and i have to make the electric furnaces for it by hand. All my science labs are linked in incestuous circles wasting power passing research packs around.
    0_1529168028967_Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 12.45.32 PM.png
    0_1529168133518_crop.png

I make green circuits in at least two? three? different places. I'm not sure.

• @aygeeplus said in Factorio:

Is that a portrait of @Tsaukpaetra ?

• Notification Spam Recipient

@hungrier said in Factorio:

@aygeeplus said in Factorio:

Is that a portrait of @Tsaukpaetra ?

I have been summoned and so I appear.

• @zecc I am super hyped about this. As the makers of Sanctum, there is no one better to make this game.

• Considered Harmful

@zecc This looks absolutely amazing and I am buying it. One of the reasons I didn't get Factorio is just that I'm not a giant fan of 2D games unless they're roguelikes.

• @pie_flavor said in Factorio:

I'm not a giant fan of 2D games unless they're roguelikes.

hey I have a game you might like

it has really realistic combat

here's someone getting a headshot with a leg

0_1529283218448_876b54cf-202e-430a-acb1-537aa53a5829-image.png

• @ben_lubar That one doesn't have any D (unless you could the one in the title)