Speechless, indeed!

• Live, until they fix it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/100reasons.mspx

Click the links.

Screenshots forthcoming.

• What are we looking at? The fact that they can come up with 100 things that are cool about a new os?

• Fixed already. Screenshots are on the way.

• I presume the page had no content at one point. Though I'm inclined to think the OP's net connection was just being flaky.

• Sweet... although, 100 cool things about an OS upgrade is pretty dumb too.

• I could see the highlights just fine, but when I went to click through:

Without the "speechless" angle, it's just a momentary burp in some web scripting, but when you have a page going "Speechless! You'll be speechless! Just look how speechless you'll be!" and you click around to see... nothing... it's simply hilarious.

• @CDarklock said:

I could see the highlights just fine, but when I went to click through:

Without the "speechless" angle, it's just a momentary burp in some web scripting, but when you have a page going "Speechless! You'll be speechless! Just look how speechless you'll be!" and you click around to see... nothing... it's simply hilarious.

Oh, I get it! So they said they had 100 reasons you'd be speechless, then when you clicked on the links there was nothing! Get it? Speechless? Nothing on the page! Because when you're speechless, there wouldn't be anything to say!  And they didn't say anything.  So even THEY were speechless.  Get it?

Hey, where is everybody going? 

• No, the site still has a serious WTF, just click around. On Firefox, there is no expanding of the center column, so text extends way down past the bottom navigation and it just looks terrible.

ARG! They're too quick! It's already fixed :( 

• @JamesKilton said:

ARG! They're too quick! It's already fixed :( 

You know there's a guy from Microsoft who is a member of these forums?

Anyway, when did "bug" become synonymous with "WTF!?"

• @shadowman said:

Hey, where is everybody going? 

They won't answer. They're speechless.

• The real WTF is the actual, uh, what for want of a better word I shall charitably call the "content" of that page. As in, the things they think are going to make me speechless.

One of the highlights, at #9 in the list, is the fact that Windows Vista supports wireless networking.

I'm speechless.

• OMG THEY INVENTED THE ATOM!!!!!!!!!

I didn't read it all, but I bet "It processes TEXT!!!" is one of the highlights. 

• @Iago said:

The real WTF is the actual, uh, what for want of a better word I shall charitably call the "content" of that page. As in, the things they think are going to make me speechless.

One of the highlights, at #9 in the list, is the fact that Windows Vista supports wireless networking.

I'm speechless.

I love #23, "Because it’s like a digital candy store."   WTF does that even mean?  "It's, like, uh, really good and stuff.  Give us money!"

• The Real WTF is that the OP wanted to know 100 reasons (s)he'd be speechless about an OS upgrade that they already had.

• What? You don't find Microsoft's marketing materials to be an endless source of amusement?

• Looks like they were speechless themselves.

• Oh, some of these are good:

96. Access your desktop wherever you go

Yeah... been done, for a long while. Remote Desktop, VNC, ssh with X forwarding, etc.

85. Your PC can be multilingual

Nice... But mine can do that as well. English, Deutsch.

72. Get the latest news delivered right to your desktop

Nice... Ever heard of something called Akregator?

70. Your PC is ready when you are

Pretty much [b]all[/b] PCs are capable of hibernate or standby.

61. Stand strong against hackers

Ah yes... the Windows Screen door, with advanced opportunities to screw up.

55. Because success tomorrow starts today

Ever heard of folders? And being organised?

50. Get more out of the web

Firefox has had tabbed browsing for a while, so has Opera.

44. Because you have a need for speed

Simply let Windows chew up [b]even more[/b] memory.

35. Because you'll know it when you see it

Thumbnails, anyone? 

31. Because your PC lets you know if something's wrong—and helps you fix it

Uh huh... 'Click here to buy buy buy software to remove that pesky spyware.'

26. Because you're a multitasker

Like I said before, Firefox, et al, have tabbed browsing. Also, most *nix PCs have more than one desktop at the same time, so you can work on even more.

25. It works with the software, hardware, and services you want

Except if it doesn't think it's 'secure' enough, because then it'll disable it.

24. Because you don't want to worry about spyware

No, don't worry about the fact that your new PC is being used to send V!@gra spam to everybody, they won't mind.

23. Because it's like a digital candy store

What? They're giving you chocolate now? Great!

22. See everything you're working on at a glance

Taskbar? Hm?

18. Create your own personal archive

$ tar -cvvf  backup.tar home/

$ gzip  -r9 backup.tar

13. Because you need to know who the bad guys are

Yes, the consumers. And anyone not drinking the Microsoft Kool-Aid.

6. Because you're always on the run

from the draconian Anti-pirate people, just because you wanted to watch that DVD you bought.

5. It can find your stuff

$ locate stuff

3. It's the safest version of Windows ever

Yeah... I'll believe that when I see it.

Any questions?

• TABLES IN THE STUPID EDITOR!

@Control_Alt_Kaboom said:

85. Your PC can be multilingual

Nice... But mine can do that as well. English, Deutsch.

With previous versions of Windows, if you wanted to change the system language, you had to purchase an entire new copy of Windows, at the exaggerated non-OEM price. So I guess this one means "It's not quite as insanely stupid as the previous version".

70. Your PC is ready when you are

Pretty much [b]all[/b] PCs are capable of hibernate or standby.

Pretty much all ones running winxp tend to crash a lot if you use it regularly. Both the hardware and the XP implementation are astoundingly buggy. I've never tried vista to see if it's any better - but the hardware won't have magically improved.

• @asuffield said:

With previous versions of Windows, if you wanted to change the system language, you had to purchase an entire new copy of Windows, at the exaggerated non-OEM price. So I guess this one means "It's not quite as insanely stupid as the previous version".
    It was enough to just install a language pack (unless you already had non-english version of Windows). Practically all the OEMs around here included a language pack CD that gave you 2-13 languages (depending on OEM and time - earlier CDs had more languages).@asuffield said:
    Pretty much all ones running winxp tend to crash a lot if you use it regularly. Both the hardware and the XP implementation are astoundingly buggy. I've never tried vista to see if it's any better - but the hardware won't have magically improved.
    Before I had 3GB RAM, I used to have months of uptime while hibernating every night (my record was 190 days IIRC). I never used sleep back then though (but started using it since upgrading RAM, as with 3GB Windows would give an out-of-memory error 2 out of 3 times when trying to hibernate, and with 4GB it's unable to hibernate at all).

• @Control_Alt_Kaboom said:

3. It's the safest version of Windows ever

Note that they were careful not to say "safe", just safer than other Windows versions.  It's kinda like saying the next American president will be better than Bush. /ducks/