Don't Update Your iPhone

• kills Dumbledore

@Akko said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

Sometimes it is hard to imagine that Apple doesn't purposely create controversy as a marketing strategy though

This is the thing. You can argue that losing the headphone jack doesn't make your experience any worse, but there really isn't a way it makes it better. At best it's not really an inconvenience. Apparently the space that used to have the headphone jack is filled with something to help the waterproofing, but there are plenty of waterproof phones witha headphone jack.

• @Jaloopa On the other hand, replacing the headphone jack with a second USB-C connector would be a straight upgrade, since USB-C can transmit analog audio and everything else.

Just glue one of these adapters to every pair of headphones you have to upgrade them.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@anonymous234 said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

replacing the headphone jack with a second USB-C connector would be a straight upgrade

Why would you do that when you can just connect a USB Hub and plug the other devices into that? 🎛

• @dkf said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

replacing the headphone jack with a second USB-C connector would be a straight upgrade

Why would you do that when you can just connect a USB Hub and plug the other devices into that? 🎛

Why would you buy a slim phone that needs other widget attached to work, instead of just buying a bigger/thicker phone that just works?

• area_deu

@Jaloopa You do have a point there. For me, it really doesn't make a difference, I just put the dongle on my headphones and use them with the iPhone exactly as I've used them with my previous smartphones. I totally understand that it is an inconvenience for a lot of people though, and I also don't exactly agree with Apples reasoning for leaving it out. Still, it doesn't affect my purchasing decision either way.

• I've never listened to music on my phone - does this make me king hipster?

• ♿ (Parody)

Personally, while I don't exactly agree with Apple's reasoning for leaving out the audio port, I don't really care either.

I agree. This is way down on the list of reasons not to have an iPhone.

and honestly, it seems to me like the majority of people complaining about that change are those who wouldn't buy an iPhone anyway

They're the ones not still caught in the RDF.

• area_deu

@boomzilla sometimes I think a bit of RD is a good thing, considering how f-ed up R can be ;)

• Dupa

@Jaloopa You do have a point there.

I don't know he has, though. Maybe the phone couldn't be as thin, for example, with a jack slot. Sure, if they absolutely needed to force it in, probably they could, but certainly something would have to change: be it thickness, resistance to water or whatever.

@boomzilla said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

They're the ones not still caught in the RDF.

Apple RDF you say?

@base <https://what.thedailywtf.com/>
    <http://www.apple.com/>
       a </groups/douches> ;
       </effects/distortion-field> <.> .

• kills Dumbledore

@kt_ said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

Maybe the phone couldn't be as thin, for example

And there's another :belt_onion: . I like a thicker phone. It means more space for a bigger battery and more comfortable to hold. Fuck these razor thin phones

• Considered Harmful

@Jaloopa On the other hand, replacing the headphone jack with a second USB-C connector would be a straight upgrade, since USB-C can transmit analog audio and everything else.

TIL iPhones have a USB C port.

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

Maybe the phone couldn't be as thin, for example

And there's another :belt_onion: . I like a thicker phone. It means more space for a bigger battery and more comfortable to hold. Fuck these razor thin phones

also the thicker phones are more resistant to being bent into a pretzel shape. a bonus if you ask me.

• kills Dumbledore

@accalia Sometimes that's a feature

• FoxDev

@Jaloopa said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

@accalia Sometimes that's a feature

0_1474552803941_Do Not Want (3).gif

• @kt_ said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

And it's especially funny, cause those people usually don't know why people stick with iPhones

My mom sticks with iPhone because her primary source of technical support is my brother-in-law, and he is an Apple fan-boy. She prefers the UI on her Android tablet, but got the iPhone so she could have some easily accessible tech support.

• Dupa

@abarker said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

And it's especially funny, cause those people usually don't know why people stick with iPhones

My mom sticks with iPhone because her primary source of technical support is my brother-in-law, and he is an Apple fan-boy. She prefers the UI on her Android tablet, but got the iPhone so she could have some easily accessible tech support.

Your point being?

Also: your :belt_onion: is showing. "Brother-in-law is just an Apple fan boy". You were kind enough to leave out "shithead". :D

Your point being?

Also: your :belt_onion: is showing. "Brother-in-law is just an Apple fan boy". You were kind enough to leave out "shithead". :D

My point being that I know why some people use iPhones: it's what they can get support for.

As for how I described my BIL, I'd be more descriptive, but he's never been able to explain why he prefers Apple over Windows or Android other than "he just does."

If you ask me, I prefer Windows machines over Apple because you can actually customize and upgrade the box. Hell, you can even build your own Windows box. Sure, with Apple you could do such things, but you get absolutely no support at all if anything goes wrong.

I prefer Android for similar reasons. No, you can't customize your device or upgrade the components, but you can pick the Android device that best suits your needs. With Apple, it's more like "Do you want the iPhone X or X+?" Plus, as much as Apple likes to claim the iPhone is ahead of the curve, they often aren't. For example, I heard fan-boys on the radio touting how the iPhone 7 now has a 12MP camera and they can take professional grade pictures with their phone! Nevermind that LG and Samsung Android phones (and others, I'm sure) have had 12+MP for at least two years. The iPhone lags on technical specs, but their fans seem to think they are paving the way.

• @abarker said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

As for how I described my BIL, I'd be more descriptive, but he's never been able to explain why he prefers Apple over Windows or Android other than "he just does."

If it really is just a simple personal preference, I wouldn't call someone like that a fanboy.

For example, I heard fan-boys on the radio touting how the iPhone 7 now has a 12MP camera and they can take professional grade pictures with their phone! Nevermind that LG and Samsung Android phones (and others, I'm sure) have had 12+MP for at least two years.

Those are fanboys. I would also add people who are seriously excited about Apple simply announcing this year's iPhone model, and then constantly post on social media how excited they are.

• Notification Spam Recipient

• Dupa

Your point being?

My point being that I know why some people use iPhones: it's what they can get support for.

If you ask me, I prefer Windows machines over Apple because you can actually customize and upgrade the box. Hell, you can even build your own Windows box. Sure, with Apple you could do such things, but you get absolutely no support at all if anything goes wrong.

I prefer Android for similar reasons. No, you can't customize your device or upgrade the components, but you can pick the Android device that best suits your needs. With Apple, it's more like "Do you want the iPhone X or X+?" Plus, as much as Apple likes to claim the iPhone is ahead of the curve, they often aren't. For example, I heard fan-boys on the radio touting how the iPhone 7 now has a 12MP camera and they can take professional grade pictures with their phone! Nevermind that LG and Samsung Android phones (and others, I'm sure) have had 12+MP for at least two years. The iPhone lags on technical specs, but their fans seem to think they are paving the way.

I don't really know how to respond to your post.

I mean, it's cool you know why you like your android phone and it's not cool that your BIL doesn't know or can't explain why he likes apple products (although that's not bad, either, not all technical people can give as detailed description as technical people, "I like using it better" is a completely valid reason).

It's also not cool that people claim that iPhone 7 is more advanced than they really are.

I mean, so?…

For example, I heard fan-boys on the radio touting how the iPhone 7 now has a 12MP camera and they can take professional grade pictures with their phone!

Lumia users are used to this.

• @coldandtired said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

I've never listened to music on my phone - does this make me king hipster?

Guess I count too, if iPod Video is hipster already. Why waste the battery on the phone? Besides, it's the 32GB Nexus (no removable storage, :wtf: Google?), which is good enough for literally anything but keeping my music collection.

I mean, it's cool you know why you like your android phone and it's not cool that your BIL doesn't know or can't explain why he likes apple products (although that's not bad, either, not all non-technical people can give as detailed description as technical people, "I like using it better" is a completely valid reason).

It's also not cool that people claim that iPhone 7 is more advanced than they really are.

I mean, so?…

I'm guessing that's what you meant. In any case, why am I defending how I described my BIL?

• @coldandtired said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

For example, I heard fan-boys on the radio touting how the iPhone 7 now has a 12MP camera and they can take professional grade pictures with their phone!

Lumia users are used to this.

But then you have Windows Phone on you. 🐠

• Dupa

I mean, it's cool you know why you like your android phone and it's not cool that your BIL doesn't know or can't explain why he likes apple products (although that's not bad, either, not all non-technical people can give as detailed description as technical people, "I like using it better" is a completely valid reason).

I mean, so?…

I'm guessing that's what you meant. In any case, why am I defending how I described my BIL?

That's what I meant and I'm not sure why. Maybe because you all try to make us, Apple customers, defend them or otherwise be deemed morons and fanboys?

• @abarker That's okay. I love me some Windows Phone bukkake.

• Dupa

@coldandtired said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

@abarker That's okay. I love me some Windows Phone bukkake.

You sick fuck.

• @kt_ I was talking about a technically minded person who can't explain why he prefers Apple products in general, so I called him a fan-boy. He once tried to use the "Mac OS is more secure" argument with me (at the time, he didn't have a virus scanner on his Mac), but he conceded that it probably only appears more secure because of the vast difference in market share between Windows and Mac, especially in the corporate sector. That's the least vague he's ever been about his preference.

I don't know he has, though. Maybe the phone couldn't be as thin, for example, with a jack slot.

It’s 7.1 mm or 7.3 mm thick, depending on the model. The current model of iPod touch is 6.1 mm and does have a 3.5 mm jack. And that’s without considering the fact 2.5 mm and 1.5 mm stereo jacks are also fairly common already (nowhere near as much as 3.5 mm, of course, but adaptors for them are €0.75 on a site I just checked).

If you ask me, I prefer Windows machines over Apple because you can actually customize and upgrade the box. Hell, you can even build your own Windows box.

I prefer Apple machines over customised Windows boxes or Windows boxes I built myself because I can just turn a new one on and it’ll work right away with no tinkering. This doesn’t mean that argument applies to everyone, but if you ask me, it does make for a good reason to buy a Mac if you have no computer experience whatsoever.

their fans seem to think they are paving the way

It’s the vocal types who tend to ruin things for everyone.

You just come across obnoxious.

That's hardly surprising, though, is it?

• Dupa

@Gurth said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

I don't know he has, though. Maybe the phone couldn't be as thin, for example, with a jack slot.

It’s 7.1 mm or 7.3 mm thick, depending on the model. The current model of iPod touch is 6.1 mm and does have a 3.5 mm jack. And that’s without considering the fact 2.5 mm and 1.5 mm stereo jacks are also fairly common already (nowhere near as much as 3.5 mm, of course, but adaptors for them are €0.75 on a site I just checked).

It's not waterproof? I guess it lacks bluetooth?

Are you actually saying that you are sure that they could've fit the jack in without removing anything and without making the phone thicker?

• BINNED

I will pipe back in now, after 130ish posts to say: I was wrong. There wasn't a proper "iOS 10 is poop / no it's not" flamewar. Apple managed to completely make it irrelevant by fucking up the headphone jack on their new phone.

Wait... what if iOS 10 actually includes more insidious stuff and they did the whole headphone jack thing to hide it?

Where's my tinfoil...

Are you actually saying that you are sure that they could've fit the jack in without removing anything and without making the phone thicker?

Yes, I am. All it would really take, is a slightly shorter time between needing to charge the device. Or don’t you know what the bulkiest item is you’ll find inside any smartphone or tablet?

• Dupa

Yes, I am. All it would really take, is a slightly shorter time between needing to charge the device. Or don’t you know what the bulkiest item is you’ll find inside any smartphone or tablet?

That's the thing, there'd be a trade off.

I'm not trying to defend the decision, what I'm trying to say is that either way something would have to go. It's not "they could keep the jack and the phone would be exactly the same".

they could keep the jack and the phone would be exactly the same

What if they had a headphone jack that came with it and connected via bluetooth and it was duct taped to the back of the phone?

• Dupa

@ben_lubar said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

What if they had a headphone jack that came with it and connected via bluetooth and it was duct taped to the back of the phone?

@ben_lubar said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

This could actually work!

That's the thing, there'd be a trade off.

Well, yes, obviously. That cuts both ways, though. My point is that the argument of “it wouldn’t fit” doesn’t really fly. But I have this feeling that there would be a lot less complaints about 15 or 30 minutes less charge time, than about not having a jack for the worldwide standard type of headphones.

But I agree with you that it wouldn’t matter to me, or probably to a lot of other users. I don’t need to charge my iPod touch and listen to it at the same time — even if I were in the situation that an iPhone 7 would be my only source of music but it’s charging at the moment, then hey, you won’t die if you can’t listen to music for a few hours, you know?

It's not "they could keep the jack and the phone would be exactly the same".

For starters, it’d have a headphone jack.

For starters, it’d have a headphone jack.

👍

• BINNED

On the headphone jack issue, I can't find a source that'd I'd call 100% reliable, but:

tl;dr; - the camera assembly on the plus model was too large, and I heard from another source (a YT video I misplaced, but I don't know their sources so...) that some of the engineers stated that the electronics of the camera assembly and headphone jack assembly interfered with each other in some way. Removing the jack solved the problem and they could have their dual-camera thing in the plus model, so naturally both models had it removed (makes no sense that the basic model has an extra feature, no)?

Sounds reasonable to me. If that all is true the story comes down to: we had a clash between engineering and design (phone size). Design won. We sugar-coated it with "wireless is the future" marketingspeak. Yawn.

@Onyx Weird interference problem? Very believable. Apple's marketing culture responding that way? Also very believable.

@Onyx said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

the electronics of the camera assembly and headphone jack assembly interfered with each other in some way

That's a sign of poor engineering....

• Java Dev

@Tsaukpaetra said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

the electronics of the camera assembly and headphone jack assembly interfered with each other in some way

I imagine space, weight, and production cost had all been brutally constraint before any engineers were involved in the process.

@PleegWat said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

I imagine space, weight, and production cost had all been brutally constraint before any engineers were involved in the process.

What we need is an easy way to make micro-Faraday cages around all chips as a default part of their housing, so interference will disappear! 🚎

These are devices that are very close to the limit of what is possible — if we could do more, we would, and we will in the future once we've figured it how to do so — and I know that weird cross-talk is both sometimes a thing and very difficult to diagnose. I was once told that mobile phone engineers would quite merrily cut off their major limbs to gain a 5dB reduction in peak noise production from the CPU, it was that big a problem. OK, I was told that back in about 2000 or so, so I'd guess that the state of the art has moved on a good deal :) but it's still likely to be a problem, and interference is just plain awkward.

I'm estimating that Apple's engineers have a very strict deadline to finalise a design by (to give manufacturing, distribution, marketing and sales time to sort themselves out) and I think that they probably just could not figure it out in time. Someone decided to say “this just isn't going to work; what can we do instead if we get rid of this comparatively-large analog component?” and everything else followed from that.

If they'd had more time, maybe they could have figured out the fix instead. But getting rid of something that is just causing problems isn't necessarily poor engineering. Engineering is always about trade-offs…

• @dkf My parents' computer has a headphone jack, next to the USB ports, from which you can system activity clear as day. Disk activity, and USB activity are loud, but the loudest thing is scrolling a website, I still have no idea why. Edge makes no noise, Chrome and IE make loud noise, this page makes a high "screech" on Chrome but all the other pages make a much lower noise.

CPU activity, RAM activity or screen pixels changing don't seem to make any noise by themselves. Maybe it's the GPU?

@dkf said in Don't Update Your iPhone:

a 5dB reduction

To anyone that knows what that means, it's actually not that insignificant, especially considering what "noise" is actually constituted of.

Maybe it's the GPU?

Probably. You can see if that's the case by turning off HW rendering in Chrome, I think.