Curiosity without Direction

• Hi,

I don't wanna give much context here but I used to work in software development before as in .Net with C# and MS SQL and then through a weird change of circumstances I have ended up working on Data Visualisation making bar graphs and pie charts and what the fuck not. Technically what I was doing before and what I am doing now has no connection whatsoever. Not coding as a day job has brought back some of the charm programming initially had. Now I wanna learn R, brush up on Python, learn some Machine learning , learn Postgres , maybe start learning C# in a Jon skeetish way. I have so much I wanna do and I ve run into the same problem of not having the time to do all of those.I do not wanna ask what should I learn next. But I am interested in how if any of you have been in a situation where your dayjob being completely different has given a certain liberty to pursue what you want and how you focused all the excess energy into being productive. Right now I am hopping between too many things and If I concentrate on one thing too long then I panic cos I am not paying the other thing enough attention. I just feel lost and unproductive. Any pointers would help.

• I find it helps to focus on a project rather than a technology. Have you got anything particular you want to make? If so, you can pick up what you need as you go along.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@stillwater said in Curiosity without Direction:

Right now I am hopping between too many things and If I concentrate on one thing too long then I panic cos I am not paying the other thing enough attention.

I know that particular feeling, and I have no idea what to do against that.

@clatter said in Curiosity without Direction:

I find it helps to focus on a project rather than a technology. Have you got anything particular you want to make?

Addendum: It really helps if you don't start that project alone. If you join an existing one or team up with a friend / coworker, you're more likely to actually be productive.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

One thing that worked for me was using the technology I wanted to learn in support of the job I was currently doing. For example, if you work as DBA and want to learn Haskell, try writing a SQL parser in Haskell and using that to examine stored procedure code for implicit type conversions (which are the root of all evil).

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.