The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC

• @Impossible-Mission-A

Well, I'll give a small hint. It's more what they (and particularly Rowan) didn't do during the battle, particularly- ah, sod it, have a freebie: Rowan knew that Vanessa wanted the party to guard the south flank, plus how they were doing as the combat progressed without having good LOS of their side of the battle or any orders being shouted about. Heck, the only talking the pilgrims did the entire fight was chanting (spell-casting) and yet they fought together smoothly (and remember, Rowan just said they're primarily carpenters, farms and other crafters, not soldiers).

EDIT for pedantry- Rowan is a pilgrim and he spoke, but only to the party. Otherwise, no talking.

• @Kaelas
    Oh. With that in mind, I guess I can see how that was hinted at...

I guess I had taken the response to my question about hearing things here: https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/1124464 as Cy (and thus definitely the rest of the party) being too far out of range to hear/distinguish spoken words over the sounds of combat at all, so there was definitely no way I would have been reading the posts for that hint.

(Disclaimer: I'm figuring this is a case of my bad interpretation, not bad information or anyone else's fault)

• @izzion I can see how you'd get that interpretation, yeah. I had meant to imply that you could hear her talking but not well enough to make out individual words and that there wasn't any other chatter, but I could totally see reading that as 'you can't make out individual words or hear the other people talking' instead.

• @Impossible-Mission-A Anywho. Anyone else have anything for this morning scene? I plan on doing a timeskip to the end of the day so the party can have a private huddle tomorrow afternoonish unless somethingone has a solid objection.

EDIT. (Must remember players are people too...)

• @Impossible-Mission-A

Cough tumbleweed Cough

• Impossible Mission Players - A

'm not really sure how to proceed, and I'm really bad at starting conversations...

• @Kaelas
    My expectation is @cloak15 has the lead off for this?

• @Impossible-Mission-A and lead off given.

• mod

!roll 1d2

• You rolled 1d2: 2

Your rolls:
    1d2: 2 = 2
    Total: 2

• @Kaelas
    I know we've had some OOC explaination about how the sense-my-surroundings spell works that noted that the spell's range probably runs out toward the end of the morning and afternoon travelling sessions and the pilgrims are probably relying on actual scouting after the initial range of the spell - would Cy have passively noticed that in game? I don't even know what type of skill roll that might be... :confounded:

@yamibot said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

That sounds exciting...

• @izzion For the most part- and this is something that @Rednaxela and @Tsaukpaetra 's PCs (as part of the hunting party from time to time) would notice more- the pilgrims are trying to keep their pace steady enough that they don't go past the range of the 'scan' per half-day. The party is, well, not experienced enough but rather well taught enough to have clued in that they're playing it a bit safe with their pace- stopping early in order to have a good campsite, going out of their way for easier paths over terrain, etc. This sort of pace is pretty common for merchants and the like, so it's slower than adventurers or soldiers would use.

On the other hand, the description that Edwin (and others) gave previously about the Land Scan spell dealie didn't include any mention of magic, just terrain and climate. No people or animals either. Doesn't mean it doesn't for sure, just that it wasn't mentioned having such before

• Paging @cloak15 , please report to the game thread.

• @Impossible-Mission-A

So far we've had people roll K. Religion and Arcana. Anyone else have any skills they'd like to roll? If you're not sure what skill a question/theory would fall under, please ask. And while you can't reroll for a specific question until your bonus changes (leveling ,new magic item, spell bonus, etc), you can use a previously used skill if you're asking a new question about the same mystery.

• I'm suspicious that the leader has got them under a thrall. That their memories are altered, or wiped. Or something.

• @xaade
    Out of curiosity, any specific data points that are giving you fuel for the suspicion?

• @izzion Any rational person would be like, "what gives". The fact that no one seems to question leadership. We have nothing to corroborate their story (weak evidence, but still nothing). The fact that they reverse direction. Normal people question 180 degree turns. Especially when the skill being used is one to gain the lay of the land, unless their navigator said "There's an impassable land ahead", which would also be questionable, since... us.

• @xaade
    They didn't make a 180 degree turn. They were coming in from the north-north-east (traveling SSW) and then turned to go back east. https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/1092440

We also haven't really tried to corroborate their story - no one has questioned any pilgrim except Herald Vanessa (aforementioned leader) and Rowan (bright-eyed teen who isn't really likely to know much inner workings of the pilgrims' travels). I could see some possible benefit of someone questioning Brother Keldar, or maybe even Ashleigh, who is probably old enough to have a broader picture (and is also one of the scouts). Or Sister Cedra, who kind of looks like the number 2, and was the person who Edwin noticed had weird iris action going on.

• @izzion said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

They didn't make a 180 degree turn. They were coming in from the north-north-east (traveling SSW) and then turned to go back east.

Right, so they were going nearly in the opposite direction of the island, and then they manage to go at an normal angle from that point to the island (if I'm right about remembering the island is north). They've been at this for a long time, and the purpose is to setup camp.

So either they can't see their way out of the mountain range, because of the limited range of "sight", and they're traveling like one of those roombas bouncing off the walls, or they are purposefully avoiding everything including their destination.

It's something a normal person would find suspicious.

@xaade said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

they're traveling like one of those roombas bouncing off the walls

Actually, depending on the mode, you don't even need walls, cleaning patterns 2, 6, and 7 can seem somewhat random indeed....

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

they're traveling like one of those roombas bouncing off the walls

Actually, depending on the mode, you don't even need walls, cleaning patterns 2, 6, and 7 can seem somewhat random indeed....

Where we're cleaning, we don't need walls.

• @xaade
    https://what.thedailywtf.com/post/1092086
    0_1495539641773_09f4ba70-ab72-4a11-85c0-24581bf6666e-image.png

My understanding is, we came in left-to-right on the blue line, they came in top-to-bottom on the red line, and now we're going left-to-right on the orange line.

Which doesn't change that they're going a funky/wrong way right now. But I could easily see that only a few people (Vanessa, Brother Keldar) know that they're going the wrong way - why would a group of medieval era travelers know where a previously unvisited location is? It's not like everyone has a Garmin in the bottom of their pack.

Also, plz no smiterino for defacing The Most Awesome Map In The History Of Maps.

why would a group of medieval era travelers know where a previously unvisited location is?

Ok, so if they came from past the desert, they're traveling in an odd direction, so let's say they came along the shore on the desert, and they ran into those mountains. They either cross on water, which they can't, or they travel south. They meet us and turn that sharply. Anyone with 2 brain cells knows that their leader is going the wrong way.

Now, let's say they came from the south shore of the desert. They hit the plains and travel northwest, they see mountains and travel southwest, they should all still know east is the wrong direction.

Now, let's say they have been stuck in the plains for a while. They all know they're lost, but after a while they lost track of where they came from and are much easier to convince that they are lost, rather than obviously going in the wrong direction. They could be told that the mountain range is much more complex than it is. However, this means that the leadership is actively lying to the rest of them.

I'm inclined, then, to believe that the leadership is purposefully lying to the group.

• @xaade said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

I'm inclined, then, to believe that the leadership is purposefully lying to the group.

There IS the chance that the group is trusting of the leader and the leader is going the right way, but the source they're getting the information from (a divine spell if I remember correctly) is telling them they're going the right way.

That doesn't explain the weird 'I say some words in a holy language and people immediately start moving to protect one another.' But I also find the idea of a priestess who'd trade out a hefty chunk of their skin to protect said followers and wouldn't tell them where they're going is a little... weird. Either she's got godly bluff or she honestly believes this is the right way.

• @cloak15 said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

Either she's got godly bluff or she honestly believes this is the right way.

People do bad things thinking they're doing good things.

• Fair point. I just wanted to say that ALL of them could be heading in the wrong direction because their god's say "Hey, you wanna go this way?" when they're trying to do their ritual to keep on the right track.

• mod

if they came from past the desert

As far as your character knows, nothing is "past" the desert. It's large enough and dangerous enough to be impassable.

• @Yamikuronue That just makes it more likely that they're just perpetually walking in circles.

I really wish our team could visit this island, now.

• I wouldn't be opposed to side questing further with the pilgrims, if that's something we want to try to sweet talk @Kaelas into :p

Though we'll have to come up with a really good excuse for when the Headmaster wants to know why we're pulling another Jonah :smirk_cat:

I wouldn't be opposed to side questing further with the pilgrims, if that's something we want to try to sweet talk @Kaelas into :p

Though we'll have to come up with a really good excuse for when the Headmaster wants to know why we're pulling another Jonah :smirk_cat:

::sadface: Nobody ever wants to run the intended plotline.... it's like people don't want to fight a dragon at level 2 or 3... So very strange!

As for the 'what are they up to' about directions, keep in mind that as far as your PCs can tell (due to past Sense Motive checks), they're telling the absolute truth about their intentions. Vanessa and Rowan have been stated they're heading to the island and neither Edwin nor Zabrock caught any tells for deceit. Which is not to say your PCs couldn't have been wrong, nor that they can't be aware they could be wrong about that judgement, just that it would be more natural for your PCs to think 'they're mistaken' rather than 'they're lying.'

• @Impossible-Mission-A anyone else want to add to our discussion, or are we ready to go to sleep for the night?

@Kaelas said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

far as your PCs can tell (due to past Sense Motive checks), they're telling the absolute truth about their intentions

Right.

For now I say unless we want to try getting more chummy with them and intrude on their secrecy, the sleeping dogs should remain laying.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.