The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC

• @izzion and everyone else:

Actually, there is! Which is strange, as none of the other creature types or subtypes does this. Meh. Here we go:

Five Things Almost Everyone Knows About Undead
    The following are a few facts that are considered common knowledge among civilized peoples.

• Most undead were once living. Knowing details about the phase of existence that preceded a creature’s undeath is often invaluable in determining its motives.
    • Holy water damages undead as though it were acid. Distributed by goodly religious orders the world over, holy water is the only line of defense against undead for many commoners.
    • Undead are almost invariably evil, as are the means to create such beings.
    • Undead are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy.
    • Undead are immune to numerous magical effects, including mind-affecting effects and abilities that affect a creature’s physical constitution.

So yeah, not a super amount of everyone knowledge there. Anything more than that, or for exceptions of those 'mostly always right' rules, needs K. Religion.

• @Rednaxela
    Normally I would be in favor of trying to punch out the weakest enemies first, both the reduce the number of active threats and to possible cause the enemy morale to crack, as basically happened in the fight where we gained our roving appetites new goblin friends.

Somehow, I suspect there isn't really going to be that morale potential on this encounter. So, given a (current) lack of indication of a master necromancer controlling the horse, focusing fire on the abnormal (bloody) skeletons seems like the better tactic to me.

• @Impossible-Mission-A
    So right now I'm worried about the red/blue bloody skeletons rushing at Edwin. They're the next people to move after

I'm tempted to just have Alanus get in the way between them and Edwin, and to a 'total defense' (+4AC) action, rather than actually attacking.

Basically the upper left bloody skeleton is not one that Alanus could reach... (35 ft), but he could prevent it from being able to reach Edwin easily I think...

Any thoughts before I go?

• @Rednaxela
    Wouldn't Total Defense preclude any AOOs if skeletons tried to rush past you to Edwin? Would the potential for 1 AOO be worth the risk of not having the AC?

• @Rednaxela @izzion @ anyone else

Speaking as the two goblins, they'd love to have some help near them 'cause that's a lot of undead about to get up in their faces.

• Of course, speaking as the still tethered horses, we'd prefer help over there, given the even greater number of undead about to swarm them. Because yes, they are valid targets for the skeletons to attack.

So sorry not sorry.

• @izzion Hmmm... yeah.... I just double checked and.... without an AOO, it's not as if Alanus could stop them getting to Edwin, except by means of being more "bait" so to speak....

Probably might as well try to attack one of the ones near the goblins...

• @Rednaxela said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

Chakram

Chupacabra...

• Hm... just realized Alanus' sling staff is usable at a club at short range if he runs out of ammo or can't manage to five foot step back... good to know... and honestly might be Alanus' best tactic.... I think, given the careful about what you use to strike them prompt.

Alanus had unfortunately pulled out his swords already.... so I guess time to drop them and equip the sling staff, which means no attack from Alanus this turn, but almost certainly worth it.... :/

• @Rednaxela
    Wouldn't you be able to:

• Drop the swords [Free Action]
    • Make a regular move [Move Action]
    • Ready a weapon as part of regular move [Free Action because you have BAB +1 or higher]

and then still attack? Or am I misunderstanding combat mechanics?

• @izzion .... you're right, I forgot about the drawing a weapon being a free action when done as part of a regular move...

So done this way Alanus could move and attack one of the ones near the goblins, by drawing the sling staff and using it as a club.

He couldn't attack with it as a ranged weapon this turn, because that requires a move action to load it.... but to do a melee attack that way.... yeah that'll work.

• @Rednaxela As long as you have at least a +1 BAB (which rangers do).

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@Kaelas said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

harmed by positive energy.

At risk of bad joke, would :giggity: be considered positive energy?

• @Tsaukpaetra
    Only if you have the super power that lets you charge phones with your wang :p

• So if the party has crap rolls, the goblins stole all the luck. Snib wasted a crit on undead (immune to crits) and their small short swords can't overcome their DR. So yeah, that was totally wasted. Then Scai rolls an 18 and then near max damage.

So yeah. They've done their part, you guys finish things off, alright? Alright. We'll go check on that meat, make sure it doesn't burn... yeah... mmmmmh, meat....

• @Kaelas said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

So if the party has crap rolls

we use hero points :P

• @Kaelas
    Of the wagons, horses, and such - do any of those provide full or partial cover? Or will MM hit true even shooting over the horses?

• @izzion The provide full cover (block LOS entirely) but the horses only provide soft cover (and the party's mule does not provide anything). They do however count as melee combatants for ranged attacks with an AR so watch your fire...

EDIT: So MM is fine across the horses and mule but not the wagons.

• Also, I forgot to say this- the cairns, any squares that are more grey and rocky than green and grassy are difficult terrain (double movement cost) and no 5-foot steps.

squares that are more grey and rocky than green and grassy

I was wondering what was going on with that.

I believe my course of action will be to step 5 to the position to the right (toward orange Skeleton) and attack that.

I'm currently assuming I have the Machete equipped only, so that's a 1d20+4, right?
    @Kaelas @Yamikuronue

• @Tsaukpaetra correct

correct

Acknowledged!

• @Tsaukpaetra said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

I believe my course of action will be to step 5 to the position to the right (toward orange Skeleton) and attack that.

I'm currently assuming I have the Machete equipped only, so that's a 1d20+4, right?
    @Kaelas @Yamikuronue

BAB +1, small size bonus +1, no weapon finesse and +2 STR... non-enchanted weapon... so yep, ought to be 1d20+4 there.
    EDIT: Huh... I didn't see that there'd been a GM reply until after I posted this.... silly nodebb...

Hmm... it is unfortunate about the "careful of what you use to strike them" thing. It strikes me now that probably would be an option for those without the ideal weapon type to take the goblin's lead on an improvised weapon maybe.

• @Rednaxela
    Or, could people with slashing style weapons wield the broad part more like a club, probably still take the improvised penalty or a similar penalty as nonlethal, but get bludgeoning damage instead?
    @Kaelas

• @izzion Not for a rapier perhaps but for most bladed weapons. Slashing types seem more apt for 'improv conversion' than piercing, in general. Same -4 penalty but it does simplify the 'drop current and find new weapon' issue.

• Oww... not the best day for Biggen there...

• @Kaelas
    Does that mean slashing weapons are trans weapons?

Do I have to banish myself to the garage for assuming my dagger's gender? :o

• @Kaelas

Can I move and attack the bloody skel near Biggen?

• I'm no Kaelas but I'm pretty sure you can @xaade . It's only 10ft movement away on the roll20 map there (or worst case 15-20ft if you want to have a space between you and Biggen to slightly reduce the risk of them so easily moving past you without AOO) which you can easily move before attacking.

• @xaade Now that Roll20 has stopped fighting me this morning (into afternoon) and I can double check the map, yes. Red was right in his reply, you're good to move and attack with ease. I'll give you another five hours or so from this post to tag, as you were waiting on me to reply.

• Then, that is my plan.

I just need to write up the post.

• @Kaelas

My attack was a natural 20. Do I roll again?

• Yamibot be like, "see, I have tons of crit rolls for y'all here! don't say I never did anything for ya! what's that? UD are immune to crits? :shrug:"

• @izzion Actually, undead being immune to critical hits in 3.5th ed doesn't carry over to Pathfinder. Pathfinder changed that, crits are useful against undead.

Ought to roll to crit-confirm yep.

So if the party has crap rolls, the goblins stole all the luck. Snib wasted a crit on undead (immune to crits) and their small short swords can't overcome their DR. So yeah, that was totally wasted. Then Scai rolls an 18 and then near max damage.

So yeah. They've done their part, you guys finish things off, alright? Alright. We'll go check on that meat, make sure it doesn't burn... yeah... mmmmmh, meat....

@Rednaxela said in The Impossible Mission: Group A OOC:

Actually, undead being immune to critical hits in 3.5th ed doesn't carry over to Pathfinder. Pathfinder changed that, crits are useful against undead.

:shrug:

• Huh, didn't notice that... house rule I guess @Kaelas , or?

• @izzion @Rednaxela Undead are not immune to crits, that's just bad 3.5 habits. Or rather, most undead are not immune to crits, the ones I was looking up for my weekend game are immune to crits (they're lvl eight). Err. Red, ignore that.

@xaade yeah, roll to confirm.

• @izzion

Well, yeah, but wouldn't a triple 20 override that?

• @Kaelas 1d20?

• @xaade That undead are immune to. They're not subject to massive damage or coup de grace attacks but criticals and precision damage (ie, sneak attacks and such) are allowed in PF.

• @xaade Basically, roll your attack again and if it hits for the second time, you get a crit and roll your damage twice (or, as you rolled once already, roll it again and then add). So... do the same rolls you just did and see if it hits.

• @xaade Go ahead and roll 1d20+4 and another 1d8+3 in case it hits again.

• @Kaelas @xaade
    Woo! That's how you HULK SMASH! a skeleton

• That's two down and @Tsaukpaetra 'rescued' and it's still PC turns... It's @Lathun , @izzion then @cloak15 ... who's going where to help do what?

• @izzion I was thinking "HULK SMASH" when I rolled.

Must have channeled into the yamibot.

• @Kaelas @Impossible-Mission-A
    I'm seriously considering HPing to double tap one of the (plain) skeletons in front of the horses.

About 30% for a tactical reason - data we have from the Scai/Snib turn suggests that the plain skeletons have 6 HP. So a double MM would have a 15/16 chance of putting one down. Assuming no damage resistance / spell resistance, but some things in life can't be completely certain...

And about 70% for an RP reason. There is no gorram way that Cy is going to let the Half Orc Enigma show him up! :laughing:

• Must...save...war pony whose name I cannot remember. I am currently thinking of moving into green's square and attacking orange, although my damage will likely suck.

• @Lathun Your PC would be aware that his daggers deal about as much damage as the goblin's short swords- which were completely ineffective. Not sure what Marzon would do with that information but he'd have it.

If you can't come up with anything else, you could also do an Aid Other- AR vs DC 15, grant either a +2AR or +2Ac to an ally vs a specific foe, which of which has to be adjacent to you. Or you could follow the Way of the Gob and grab a makeshift club or something to- you just tagged.

• @Lathun Correction, your dagger does as much but you're a fair bit stronger, so that's more damage than Snib or Scai could output.

@Lathun Your PC would be aware that his daggers deal about as much damage as the goblin's short swords- which were completely ineffective. Not sure what Marzon would do with that information but he'd have it.

If you can't come up with anything else, you could also do an Aid Other- AR vs DC 15, grant either a +2AR or +2Ac to an ally vs a specific foe, which of which has to be adjacent to you. Or you could follow the Way of the Gob and grab a makeshift club or something to- you just tagged.

Yeah, I was thinking of trying to aid other or total defense attempt to take a few blows but I could feel like Marzon would try to hit it first in an attempt to get it's focus.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.